PDA

View Full Version : Living in the city for less than 50k

nydreamer83
May 28th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Hiya,

Most jobs in my field that i'm coming across pay NOTHING. We are taking even less than 50k-some are paying between $30-40,000 a year. Now unless you come from money, I find it impossible to live in NYC making that much. OR like some of these publishers-notorious for paying nothing. Yet everyone wears $200 jeans and $1000 bags..HOW? Is it possible to live making that much (with multiple roommates im sure)

nyd

Sunnygirl
May 28th, 2007, 08:56 PM
And don't foget, alot of that designer wear is not being bought on 5th ave... don't be fooled by what you see.

Schadenfrau
May 28th, 2007, 10:41 PM
It's certainly possible- lower your standards.

ironmike9110
May 29th, 2007, 12:00 AM
if you talking about the city as a whole...depending on your lifestyle you could live decently.

no chance for Manhattan.

Deimos
May 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Ironmike is 100% correct.... lookup Craigslist for Hoboken or Astoria (Queens) and find a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment looking for a roommate. You can probably find a place for ~$500/month. That's $6k/year, and a $40k salary means probably $30k in take-home income annually leaving you with $2,000 monthly in living expenses assuming you save nothing.

I've found that food costs $25/day, so there's $750 of that money used up... figure utilities will be on top of the cost for the room... that's probably another $100. A metrocard is $77 and let's say you have a crazy cell plan of $123 (for rounding sake), you're still at $950 monthly in necessary expenses. This would then leave you with $1,050 in "play" money monthly.

Keep in mind that these expenses are just a best guess... I could be completely off!

nydreamer83
May 30th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Hey guys,

I'm talking about living IN the city...only in Manhattan...I KNOW of a few people who dont make a whole lot, but live fine..i dunno i guess it depends on the person and their spending habits and excessive use of credit cards! I dont use CCs so I dont consider that as extra money..Id imagine that it might be a bit difficult to live in Manhattan on that income..

Schadenfrau
May 30th, 2007, 02:25 PM
You won't make many friends here if you insist that only Manhattan is THE CITY. You do understand the geography here, right?

Just a wild guess, but I'd venture that no, you would not be able to live here on the income you're likely to be offered.

nydreamer83
May 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM
My question was specifically for Manhattan. I think I can ask specific questions since this is a forum. I myself live in North Jersey, and I THINK (not sure) will continue to live here..for now atleast;)

718Bound
May 31st, 2007, 12:40 PM
My question was specifically for Manhattan. I think I can ask specific questions since this is a forum. I myself live in North Jersey, and I THINK (not sure) will continue to live here..for now atleast;)

When did you move from PA?... and what is it about north Jersey that makes you want to move to Manhattan? Too long of a commute? Not what you expected? I know it probably comes across as me being a d!ck but I only ask because I am curious.

I just don't understand why you would move to noth Jersey then want to rule out Brooklyn or Queens and only want to focus on Manhattan.

Depending on where you (or anybody) work alot of neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens are a shorter commute to Manhattan than a neighborhood you can afford on that salary.

I just don't understand on that salary why someone would want to scrape by in mahattan when you could live a lot better life in Brooklyn or Queens. Just my opinion...

s.cali
May 31st, 2007, 12:49 PM
Not to high-jack this thread from the original poster, but I was wondering:

Is Queens safe? Also, what neighborhoods in Queens or Brooklyn would you guys recommend for a single graduate student?

Thanks!

718Bound
May 31st, 2007, 12:53 PM
Where are you going to school? That will help because some areas will be easier to commute from than others.

s.cali
May 31st, 2007, 12:59 PM
Fordham Law, so right by Lincoln Center.

The_Other_White_Meat
May 31st, 2007, 01:55 PM
I know I'm planning to live with at least 5 roommates, which will make rent more bearable. Still, I'm not looking forward to (at least) my first four years in NYC, I know it will be a struggle. My only consolation is that it will be NYC (duh), so I know I'll love it.

And as for the designer bags - they're probably knockoffs from of a street vendor, like someone else said... Or stolen and resold.

nydreamer83
May 31st, 2007, 04:41 PM
well im nj now because its pretty convienant..plus im only paying a few hundred dollars for my own room and a nice clean place in a safe neighborhood with private parking for my car...so for now its good...reason why i never looked at bk or queens was because i think it takes less time for me to get to midtown from where i live and because i got a great deal on my place...i dunno if and when i move to manhattan...i was just thinking outloud...

Deimos
June 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM
well im nj now because its pretty convienant..plus im only paying a few hundred dollars for my own room and a nice clean place in a safe neighborhood with private parking for my car...so for now its good...reason why i never looked at bk or queens was because i think it takes less time for me to get to midtown from where i live and because i got a great deal on my place...i dunno if and when i move to manhattan...i was just thinking outloud...

It sounds like you're in a good spot already... Manhattan is a good dream to have (I had the same one when I was younger), however, if you don't have the funds to be able to afford the prices, it's just not the same experience. If you're in a good spot in North Jersey and are really that close to the city, I'd suggest staying where you are until you can get at least 20k more per year in income. In the long-run you'd be better off as well if you're able to save any spare cash that you earn and maybe even save up to purchase a place when the time is right.

Deimos
June 1st, 2007, 12:24 PM
Fordham Law, so right by Lincoln Center.

My first thought was to recommend Astoria... it's probably 15-20 minutes on the N/R to the 1 train to get to Lincoln Center from there. It's a good, safe, young neighborhood with affordably priced apartments. Plus you have a White Castle (man do I wish we had one near the east-side!).

There are others on the board who know Queens better than I do, but from what my friends who live in Astoria have told me, you wouldn't be unhappy living there.

nydreamer83
June 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
well, right now its not about the money...but i just keep thinking, why pay more when i can pay less...im only 15 minutes away-so i still get the manhattan life if i want it..then come home to quiet suburbia....its nice....but manhattans nice too! but you gotta pay for it....lets see what life brings me...thanks for everyones comments...