PDA

View Full Version : Just move to the city

Dmain_Event
June 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM
My job search in new york city is not turning out quite like I planned. Turns out alot of these companies want you to actually live in the city... go figure. Anyway, I was wondering if it were possible for me just to get up and move to the city right now (after finding a couple of roomates first), get a job as a waiter or something to pay the bills until I land the job I want? I am 23 years old and I have dreamed of moving to new york since I was 13 (thats ten damn years... I can't wait another year). I have almost 4Gs saved up (I will have at least that much saved up by the time I move there which would be around august) and I could use that to help pay my way incase it gets a little tight around there. With a couple of roomies, it won't be that expensive, will it?
What do you guys think?
Any help would be great:cool:

Lolita88
June 1st, 2007, 06:39 PM
Check the moving to nyc thread, its usually the very first one on the list, there is tons of info on there, and even though its very lengthy its well worth once you read it.:p

antinimby
June 1st, 2007, 07:05 PM
I would suggest that you first ask yourself a couple questions before you decide on coming or not.

First, is the reason why you're not getting that job is because you don't live in NY or is it for some other reason, e.g. experience, skills, background, education, etc.?

If you are not getting job offers because of the other things, then coming to the city wouldn't help, now would it?

On the other hand, if you know that you are fully qualified and would get that job you're seeking easily if only you were in the city, in which case then, I would come.

nydreamer83
June 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
i think not being local is a big deal. i mean, it could very well be your professional background. but if your gonna need a few weeks to relocate etc etc, companies could hire the 2nd best person who just so happens to live within 20 mins and can start next week...which i guess makes sense..i moved to n.j then temped in nyc while i looked for my 'real' job..it worked out..however living close by does not guarantee youll find a position right away so you have to prepare youself....if you hook up with the right temp agencies you can be working everyday if you want...the boredom that comes around with some of the temp assignments is a whole other story...its pretty ballsy to move without a job but good luck!

shocka
June 6th, 2007, 11:49 PM
My job search in new york city is not turning out quite like I planned. Turns out alot of these companies want you to actually live in the city... go figure.

Whats your background? and what kind of jobs are you looking for?

My firm hires TON! of out of towners, espeically entry level and makes them relocate to NYC, only to send them on the road every week, so I do not think being local is a standard.

My suggestion, would be to get in touch with recruiters, who might be able to help you out. Look for a job first, even if its low paying; just look for something with stability, where you can learn. Once you get this job, then move to nyc, then start looking for that next big jump within 3-6 months.

By the way, if you feel that not being in NYC, is a hurdle, just say you are moving here in the next # (what seems to work with the job hiring schedule) weeks. Also focus on the intervew, what value do you bring, why should the employeer want to wait or EVEN pay you to move to NYC.