PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NYC in August -- help!

astro21
June 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm moving to NYC this August to start work at a Midtown-located law firm. I'm married but my wife will not work so I'd like to spend up to $2,700 per month for a 2-bedroom appartment. I'm not too familiar with NYC and have therefore little knowledge about which area I'd like to live, although I've noted the following three: Astoria, Upper West Side, and the Financial District. I've been using Craiglist to gauge the price of apartments, and was surprised to see that that a lot of apartments in the Financial District listed on Craiglist are no-fee and look like confortable lofts, for prices similar to my budget. Why is that? I would have imagined that the Financial District would be a very expensive place to live. Does anyone have any take on that?

I've heard good things about Astoria, but what areas of Astoria are actually the most attractive ones?

Is it really difficult to find an apartment without going through a broker? The 15% fee seems so incredibly expensive to me, I'd obviously like to do away with that...

Finally, regarding paperwork, credit and so on, I'm fresh out of law school but do not have any debt. The only thing I can show is a letter from my employer indicating my yearly salary. Is that usually enough or do I need to show that I have funds in my bank account?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give me.

A. (a Brit in the US...)

Front_Porch
June 3rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
I answered you on the "Moving to New York City" thread.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

ashleyh4
June 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Hey,

You should check out the Newport area of Jersey City. It's directly across the river from the West Village and very convenient to the City and half as expensive as NY, but with all of the conveniences. The PATH is a subway that runs 24 hours between jersey city and NYC, so it only takes 5 minutes to get across the water. The Marbella is a luxury building, in which you can get a 1 bedroom with a gym, etc. for $2500 and has a beautiful view of the city. There's no fee, since they directly rent through the management company. I'm sure you can google and find the building's website.

I am moving from L.A. back to NYC, so I know what you are going through!

Good luck.