PDA

View Full Version : 1st trip to nyc need help!!

yankeesrule13255
June 6th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Hi first time on this board!! Also my first trip to NYC!!:D

Ok please help this is my first trip to nyc!! I will be staying at the belvedere for 4 nights and 5 days it is near Time Square!!! Is this a good hotel it looks nice and has a kitchenette!

Here are the places i want to go could you tell me what days i should go to them and which ones are near each other? :confused:

Central Park
Empire State Building
Statue of Liberty
Ellis Island
American Museum of Natural History
Battery Park... maybe??
Ground Zero.... maybe??
Chinatown New York... maybe??
Also want to go shopping for cheap purses like channel and coach……. etc! if you know any good stores let me know!!
Also any other good places that you know of!!
And I also need some good restaurants, pizza shops to go to!!

Ok so here are my dates and what I will be doing!

July 17: I will be driving there and planning on getting there around 2ish! Im not sure what to do? My hotel is by time square like i said so maybe i should do something around there?

July 18: I have no idea where im going to go or whats near each other so can you help pick some good places!!

July 19: I’m going to yankees game yeah!! After that i want to go shopping where would be a good place to go and somewhere to eat?

July 20: I don't know what im going to do this day either? So please help!!

July 21: we are going to another Yankees game and driving home after!

Thank you any help will be greatly appreciated!!:cool:

shocka
June 6th, 2007, 11:33 PM
broadway play, moma, bus tour, top of the rock, restaurants, comedy club, jazz bar, met, just walk around

just some ideas to start you off.. really depends what your interests are.

pacz
June 6th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Central Park - Bethesda Fountain (my favorite place in the park) and Strawberry Fields - both can be gotten to by entering in at W. 72nd St. Also, the Central Park Zoo has a nice Rain Forest Building. The Sea Lions and Penguins are fun, too. That's at E. 63rd St.
Empire State Building - You might want to consider Top of the Rock instread. Little to no waiting, great vies, esp. of the ESB and more room to walk around. Go just before dusk.
Statue of Liberty
Ellis Island
Battery Park... maybe?? - all 3 in the same area in Lower Manhattan.
American Museum of Natural History - Although some areas have been re-modeled, other areas re pretty outdated. The Rose Center is nice. There are also special exhibits, but will be charged extra if you want to see them.
Ground Zero.... maybe??
Chinatown New York... maybe??
Also want to go shopping for cheap purses like channel and coach……. etc! if you know any good stores let me know!! - You won't find cheap channel or coach purses unless you by knock offs on Canal St. or street venders in SoHo. You might wnt to try Century 21 (across the street from the former WTC site) it's a discount store that carries major designers. 22 Cortlandt Street.
Also any other good places that you know of!!
And I also need some good restaurants, pizza shops to go to!! – Try Chowhound.com for dinning experiences, very helpful and useful site. Don’t miss Balthazar’s in SoHo for dinner – reservations required – only by phone. I also like Bar 89, also in SoHo for lunch.

Hope this helps

yankeesrule13255
June 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Thank you this helps alot!! Is the The Rose Center in the American Museum of Natural History or is it seperate??

yankeesrule13255
June 7th, 2007, 03:20 PM
broadway play, moma, bus tour, top of the rock, restaurants, comedy club, jazz bar, met, just walk around

just some ideas to start you off.. really depends what your interests are.
Thanks this helps to!!!! What is top of the rock??

MidtownGuy
June 7th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Top of the Rock is 3 levels of outdoor observation decks at the top of Rockefeller Center. Supreme views in all directions. A must. I would take a free walk through the lobby of The Empire State Building, but head to Top of the Rock for your viewing experience. Shorter lines and a better view.

yankeesrule13255
June 7th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Top of the Rock is 3 levels of outdoor observation decks at the top of Rockefeller Center. Supreme views in all directions. A must. I would take a free walk through the lobby of The Empire State Building, but head to Top of the Rock for your viewing experience. Shorter lines and a better view.

Ok thank you how much does this cost?

bronzenine
June 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Also, on an average saturday afternoon, how long is the wait?

MidtownGuy
June 7th, 2007, 07:59 PM
17.50 for an adult. You stay up there as long as you like. Lines were very short everytime I've gone- a few minutes in line at most.
Here is my advice.. find out what time is sunset on the day you want to visit. Go up about 20- 30 minutes ahead, and you will see the city by day, as the sun sets, and then as all of the lights come on. For me, it's really the only time to go.

Heres the link to all info...
http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/ODTStatic/site.htm

antinimby
June 7th, 2007, 08:10 PM
July 17: I will be driving there and planning on getting there around 2ish!Do you really have to drive or can't you just take a bus or something.

You do know that you won't be needing your car much while you're in the city for those 5 days, right?

Why bring the car and have it sit in an expensive parking garage if you don't have to?

lofter1
June 7th, 2007, 08:33 PM
And if you drive in around 2-ish that means you'll be done dealing with the car around 4-ish ...

yankeesrule13255
June 7th, 2007, 09:45 PM
They have a parking ramp right the hotel will it really take 2 hours?:eek:

antinimby
June 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Yes, so it'll be best if you leave the car at home. ;)

Besides, part of the New York experience is riding the subways. Tip: get yourself a 10-ride MetroCard for the price of 9 once you get here.

You'll be surprised how much more fun and convenient it is to tour the city by walking and taking the subways instead of driving in your car.

Even if the traffic doesn't get to you, the difficulty in finding a parking space once you get to your destination will be a major pain the arse, not to mention having to worry about the meters.

P.S. there are very few gas stations and they are very hard for an out-of-towner to find, so that's another reason not to drive into NY.

yankeesrule13255
June 7th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Well I wasn’t planning on driving it to my destinations I'm just going to drive it to my hotel ramp and leave it there until we leave! I was planning on walking or taking the subway to everywhere I go! I don't think its worth the extra $ to fly there if its only about a 7 hour drive from where I live. Also wouldn’t it be pain to take a bus? :confused:

antinimby
June 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
That's exactly what I thought would happen, your car sitting in a garage for all those days.

Have you checked to see how much the parking garage will you charge for those five days?

Considering how many cheap/on sale air fares out there, you might not be saving all that much $ by driving.

Don't forget high gasoline prices and the tolls at the Hudson crossings. Where will you be coming from by the way?

Schadenfrau
June 7th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I can't imagine that a bus ride would be that much of a pain, but if you're not worried about shelling out for the parking fees, go ahead.

macreator
June 8th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Parking garage within the hotel will likely be costly, but so would flying down for that matter. I doubt you'll have any reason whatsoever to use your car while you're in town so it all comes down to a matter of convenience and economics. If driving is easier, and cheaper than flying, then it makes sense. If not, then it doesn't.

yankeesrule13255
June 8th, 2007, 04:01 PM
The hotel only charges $27 for 24 hours so it would only be $135 for 5 days vs. $648 for 4 people to fly!! I think I’m going to go with my original plan and drive! The gas shouldn’t be a problem I’m going to fill up right before I leave and before I get into the city!!! I know a lot of people that drive and they said they get right into the city with no problems!

lofter1
June 8th, 2007, 11:30 PM
And remember when you fill up for the return trip that New Jersey has some of the lowest gas prices in the country.