PDA

View Full Version : Half Day in Brooklyn

brianac
June 10th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I am coming to NYC on Thursday 14th. June for a 7 day stay. As usual there never seems to be enough time to do everything you want to do. I have planned a half day (weekday) .in Brooklyn and perhaps someone can tell me if the plan makes sense, or perhaps make suggestions on how to improve on it.

I am staying on the Upper West Side.

Q train from Times Square to Stillwell Avenue Coney Island.
Visit Nathans.
Walk boardwalk to Brighton Beach.
Q train to Prospect Park (Empire Blvd.)
Walk to Grand Army Plaza.
2 train to Borough Hall.
See Pilgrims Church and waterfront views 0f Manhattan.
Walk Brooklyn Bridge to City Hall Park.
Buy a Camera at J & R.

Hopefully leave enough time to visit a few places in Lower Manhattan.

What do you think?

CMANDALA
June 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Buy your camera at B&H, 34th Street and 9th Avenue. You'll save a bunch of money.

Do your research first and know exactly what you want to buy.

brianac
June 10th, 2007, 01:29 PM
New Camera.

Thanks CMANDALA.

Thinking of the Canon A570IS. Advertised at J & R at about $209.00.
Was hoping to work something out with the $50.00 refund from Canon but they will only mail checks to US address.

CMANDALA
June 10th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I see the camera is only $5.00 cheaper at B&H, so it isn't worth your time to go there.

J&R is a fine, reputable store.

If you want to have an excellent dinner across the street from J&R, visit the Woolworth Tower Kitchen in the Woolworth Building on Broadway. The owner, Sharif, will take fine care of you.

brianac
June 10th, 2007, 05:18 PM
New camera.

Thanks again CMANDALA.

milleniumcab
June 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I am coming to NYC on Thursday 14th. June for a 7 day stay. As usual there never seems to be enough time to do everything you want to do. I have planned a half day (weekday) .in Brooklyn and perhaps someone can tell me if the plan makes sense, or perhaps make suggestions on how to improve on it.

I am staying on the Upper West Side.

Q train from Times Square to Stillwell Avenue Coney Island.
Visit Nathans.
Walk boardwalk to Brighton Beach.
Q train to Prospect Park (Empire Blvd.)
Walk to Grand Army Plaza.
2 train to Borough Hall.
See Pilgrims Church and waterfront views 0f Manhattan.
Walk Brooklyn Bridge to City Hall Park.
Buy a Camera at J & R.

Hopefully leave enough time to visit a few places in Lower Manhattan.

What do you think?

Half a day for all this?.. I don't know about that. More like a full day to me and that's fine but you should maybe start your day at J&R and buy the camera before your trip. You'll get to take some nice pictures in Brooklyn.
After J&R just reverse your list of things to do. Walk Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn and start your day..You can have Breakfast at Junior's on Flatbush Avenue and take the "best Cheese Cake in NYC" along with you, to have at Coney Island for some much needed energy for the day...I would definitely add the Brooklyn Botanical Garden and the Brooklyn Museum of Art, both near Grand Army Plaza on Eastern Parkway.. From there you can walk along Washington Avenue to get to the subway (Q line at Prospect Park) and go to Coney Island( good choice)...At Coney Island, don't forget to visit NY Aquarium...On your way back, stop at Brooklyn Heights to visit the Plymouth Church of Pilgrims... The Promenade will give you the best chance to take some great pictures of Lower Manhattan Skyline and Brooklyn Bridge.. Nice way to enter the Promenade is from Montague Street..After all that go to Grimaldi's ( on Old Fulton Street near Henry St) for a NY treat, the best Pizza in NYC is at Grimaldi's and expect to wait a little..And if all that is not enough, walk to the shore for some good ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory....Now comes the part you should not avoid!.. You must walk the Bridge back to Manhattan for a night view and to help you burn the calories:))).....What a day that would be...:)

Boy, I am tired just giving this advice, imagine doing it. But it is well worth it...;)

brianac
June 11th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Thanks milleniumcab, some excellent tips.

I planned the day in this order so if I am completely worn out I could get the train straight back to my hotel.

Re the camera, I will be carrying my old 2 megapixel Olympus, just wanted to get a better one in NYC. Best price for the Canon in the UK is about $340.00.

By the way I will be travelling alone, and I am 70 years old.

Maybe it will take me 2 days. Wish me luck.

Liverpool Alan
June 11th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I have picked up a cracking canon camera from asda(Wallmart) before i set off for my NY trip (feb) cost less than 90 with rechargable battery i will let you know the type tomorrow as i have left it elsewhere.

brianac
June 12th, 2007, 03:44 AM
OK Alan.

Will be interested to know the model number of your Camera.

brianac
June 23rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Just about made it.

milleniumcab
June 24th, 2007, 12:35 AM
So, you made it. :)... Excellent pictures for a 2 megapixel camera..:rolleyes:.. How was that pizza at Grimaldi's?.. Did you make it to Junior's for cheese cake?..Tell us some stories and a few more pictures will be nice...

ablarc
June 24th, 2007, 01:33 AM
You covered some territory.

I once hired a livery cab for a whirlwind tour of Brooklyn; whizzed by just about everything.

Gave me more of a ... shall we say ... overview.

brianac
June 24th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Re camera. Went to J & R on my first day (Friday). Bought the Canon Powershot A570IS (7.1 mp) this is the camera I took to Brooklyn on Monday last.
I am afraid it was a whistle stop tour. Had to pass on Juniors unfortunately due to time restriction, but they have opened one in Manhattan. As you can see from the photo at Grimaldi's there was a line and they were letting in one person at a time. When I got close I saw the sign "NO SLICES". So no pizza for me with a walk accross the bridge to follow. Walked the promenade as you suggested starting from Montague Street. Met some interesting people along there. Folks from Hong Kong, California, Boston, and we all took photographs for each other.

One thing I did discover. There is never enough time to see everything in NY.
My first stay in 2005 was 4 days. This time was 8 days and I still had to rush everything. Still I enjoyed every minute.

By the way I AM A HARRY CHAPIN FAN

ablarc
June 26th, 2007, 07:20 AM
^Brooklyn has become limo central.

Could you afford even dessert at the River Cafe?

brianac
June 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM
River Cafe.

No dessert but the photo was free.