PDA

View Full Version : NYC Weather and Temperature

Francis OP
June 16th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Hi,
how is temperature in new york in june-july period??
thanks

Punzie
June 16th, 2007, 08:06 AM
http://gonyc.about.com/cs/weather/l/bl_weather.htm

MidtownGuy
June 16th, 2007, 08:38 AM
It used to be beautiful in June. Now we get crazy weather that swings 20 degrees from day to day, might be 90 or might be 60 and gloomy.
July used to be reliably sunny and hot... we'll see what happens this year.

antinimby
June 16th, 2007, 10:03 PM
http://gonyc.about.com/cs/weather/l/bl_weather.htmThe information from this link is inaccurate (check out the numbers for May!).

Better go to a more reliable source at the NWS (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate_cms.html#Historical) for temp. averages instead.

sfenn1117
June 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM
It used to be beautiful in June. Now we get crazy weather that swings 20 degrees from day to day, might be 90 or might be 60 and gloomy.
July used to be reliably sunny and hot... we'll see what happens this year.

Are you saying it didn't do this say, 20 years ago? I swear global warming is the biggest scam in the world today.

Average high in NY this time of year is 80. That means it is an average, with the days in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s not at all uncommon. Days with temperatures right at the average are infrequent, and it always balances out.

Rant over.

brianac
August 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM
City Smiles as Cool Crowds Out 'Bermuda High'

By BENJAMIN SARLIN (http://www.nysun.com/authors/Benjamin+Sarlin), Special to the Sun | August 29, 2008

When New Yorkers look back on August 2008, they may recall the Beijing (http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Beijing) Olympics or the Democratic National Convention in Denver (http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Denver) as highlights, but the month could also be remembered for something that occurred in the city: the beautiful weather.

With little rain or humidity and temperatures hovering between the mid-70s and mid-80s, local parks this month have drawn droves of sunbathers, Frisbee throwers, and workers on lunch breaks. Only once has the temperature risen to 90 degrees — on August 1 — and the city has seen no rain at all for the past two weeks. It has been a far cry from last August, when torrential downpours shut down large swaths of the subway system and Metro-North Railroad early in the month.

For residents staying in the city on weekends, the temperatures have been a welcome surprise.

A public defender, Joseph Conza, 31, who took advantage of the weather yesterday by playing pickup basketball with co-workers in Rockefeller Park during lunch break, said he was especially grateful for the temperature given the state of another climate — the economic one.

"The summer has been great," Mr. Conza said yesterday in an interview. "Gas is more expensive and I've been flying less so I've been having a lot more barbecues with friends here and going to a lot of outdoor concerts."

The weather has also been a boon for some who ply their trades outside.

A hot dog vendor in Lower Manhattan, Salim Nadir, 35, said he had been doing better business than usual thanks to an influx of tourists, whom he credits with 80% of his sales.

A Hula-hoop instructor and performer, Jenny McGowan, said yesterday after giving an outdoor lesson in TriBeCa that she was cutting costs by teaching in the park more often this month thanks to the "amazing" weather.

"It is better for business," Ms. McGowan said as a nearby student twirled neon Hula-hoops around her wrists. "You don't have to rent out studio space and it's free publicity as well."

According to the special projects manager for Greenmarkets, Gabrielle Langholtz, the dozens of farmers markets run by the organization have benefited from the weather.

"It's been great for business," Ms. Langholtz said yesterday in an interview. "Warm enough for the peaches, tomatoes, and eggplants to grow, but comfortable enough to hang out at the market."

If global warming is occurring, New Yorkers aren't feeling it this month, enjoying temperatures that are 1.7 degrees below the average for August. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, however, New York has been an exception in this regard, as 2008 is so far the ninth-warmest year in recorded history.

Meteorologists are attributing the unseasonably cool and dry August in the city to a cold front from Canada that has crowded out the hot, humid weather system from the Atlantic known as the Bermuda High that usually dictates the city's summer weather.

"Definitely the weather is often hotter," the lead meteorologist for the Weather Channel, Mark Ressler, said in an interview yesterday. "A lot of time it will be a more humid, sultry kind of temperature, up near 90 degrees or more. This year there has been bit more of a Canadian influence, which makes it more pleasant."

According to Mr. Ressler, New York's streak of good weather is likely to continue into September. He predicted light rain over the weekend, followed by warm, dry weather returning once again on Sunday and continuing until at least Wednesday.

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/city-smiles-as-cool-crowds-out-bermuda-high/84903/

© 2008 The New York Sun

NYatKNIGHT
August 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Thank you, Bermuda High! It really has been a wonderful stretch of beautiful weather, especially for August.

Triborough
August 29th, 2008, 10:35 PM
The forecast for next week has a couple of July like days. Ugh!
Although, it is next month so it isn't going to spoil the amazing August we had.

philvia
August 30th, 2008, 10:47 AM
ever since i moved here its been sunny and about 75! i love it haha
yesterday i was at coney island and was pretty cold actually. i'm used to like 95+ with heavy humidity lol.

Triborough
August 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM
ever since i moved here its been sunny and about 75! i love it haha
yesterday i was at coney island and was pretty cold actually. i'm used to like 95+ with heavy humidity lol.

So you never experienced the subway when it is about 95° with 100% humidity. Let's just say you won't wind up in hell, since you have already been.

Amberlicious7583
September 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
i'm used to like 95+ with heavy humidity lol.

Philvia where are you from? Sounds like Jacksonville heat ;)

nicksinif
September 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Hi,
how is temperature in new york in june-july period??
thanks
very hot and humid. you will be sweating a lot. its almost impossible to survive without ac. it is also the rainy season for ny.

195Broadway
September 6th, 2008, 05:53 PM
There's nothing like a long walk in Manhattan during a nasty thunderstorm.

tdp
September 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM
There's nothing like a long walk in Manhattan during a nasty thunderstorm.

Hmmm, I visited in October 2005 and got soaked to the skin wandering round Gramercy Park and back to my hotel on 42nd.... there really was NOTHING like it!

Mid September last year was too hot!

At least NY retains its four defined seasons - over here in the UK we seem to just have Spring blending into Fall (Summer & Winter have dropped off the scale).

Amberlicious7583
September 7th, 2008, 12:52 PM
How is the weather right now in New York? I am moving up in 14 days, tryin to figure out what all to bring with me at first and what to ship later.

scumonkey
September 7th, 2008, 01:07 PM
After a warm and muggy/rainy day (Thank you Hanna)
Today is gorgeous ! 76 degrees
http://www.wunderground.com/US/NY/New_York.html

Amberlicious7583
September 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Today is gorgeous ! 76 degrees
http://www.wunderground.com/US/NY/New_York.html

How much longer do you think the beautiful weather will last?

NYC4Life
September 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
NY1

Updated 4:24 PM

Residents Clean Up Under Clear Skies After Hanna

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7292/10053318im2.jpg

Neighborhoods across the city cleaning up Sunday after Tropical Storm Hanna soaked the region.

The heavy rains and powerful winds hit one Queens neighborhood particularly hard. Much of Rosedale was flooded, which residents say is often a problem when it rains in the area.

Part of Hook Creek Boulevard in Rosedale was left under water after Hanna passed through. Residents say flooding is a problem in the area, and while they've learned to live with it, something needs to be done.

"They have built the houses but they haven't thought about drainage they study to get people in but not studying what's going to happen when we get this type of rain," said an area resident.

The storm's strong winds also knocked a tree down on 147th Avenue.
In Brooklyn, residents of the shoreline neighborhood of Seagate took in their outdoor furniture and placed sandbags by the shore in order to prevent flooding like in years past.

They said in their area, Saturday's weather was more bark than bite, and nothing like the major storm that hit the city during the winter of 1992.
"It was bad weather, it happened in December and it was a series of Nor’easters and people that lived here 50 years, even more, never seen anything like that," said an area resident.

Now that Hanna is gone, all eyes are on Hurricane Ike, which has caused significant damage in the Caribbean.

The premiere of Turks and Caicos says the Category 4 storm damaged 80 percent of the homes on Grand Turk island. So far there are no reports of death or injuries.

Ike is now roaring across Haiti on its way to the Bahamas and Cuba with winds up to 135 miles an hour.

Forecasters say the hurricane could start affecting the Florida Keys Monday night on a potential track for the central Gulf of Mexico.

A phased withdrawal is planned today for the Florida Keys. New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin says his city is on alert as well.

NYC4Life
October 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM
NY1

Updated 9:51 AM

Forecasters Warn Of Harsh Winter

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/7393/99333286uq7.jpg

Forecasters are saying this winter could be the coldest the East Coast has seen in several years, with plenty of snow.

While super long-range forecasts are not particularly reliable, they are useful in predicting trends for energy demand.

One factor in the predictions is a blast of early snow expected this weekend in parts of Wyoming, Utah, and Montana.

Copyright © 2008 NY1 News. All rights reserved.

KenNYC
October 9th, 2008, 09:58 PM
When they start getting the 5 day forecast right I'll consider listening to their 3 month forecasts.

Amberlicious7583
October 10th, 2008, 01:40 AM
When they start getting the 5 day forecast right I'll consider listening to their 3 month forecasts.

Haha exactly!

I definitely hope they are wrong on this one! I dont know if this Florida girl will survive ;)

NYC4Life
October 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM
The same can be said about the Hurricane Seasons. They've predicted for the last several seasons hurricanes would be active, not really.

tdp
October 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM

I totally agree!
Last year, prior to my visit to NYC, heavy rain was forecast for at least two of the days.
It ended up being swelteringly hot, with beautiful clear skies for the whole of our visit.

TheFivePoints
October 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I went for a run over the Brooklyn Bridge today and it was beautiful.....gotta take advantage of it before it gets crappy outl