PDA

View Full Version : Refresh annoyance

Alonzo-ny
June 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM
What is with the refresh thing that resets for some reason after you are logged on but dont register activity for a while. Just now i was reading the lengthy arcticle in the 'is new york done with skyscrapers' thread, it took a while, and when i went back to forum menu it reset and said i just logged on, thereby meaning i cant click on first unread post on the threads i hadnt read yet (which was alot because i start in NY skyscrapers and arch and work my way throught the rest of the forum). Now this pissed me off as i only have internet at the weekends now and i lost out on a weeks worth of updates because of this and i refused to go to each thread and search for the point i last read on each thread.

Now rant is over, is this something i have to accept or can i stop this somehow?

Punzie
June 17th, 2007, 07:12 AM
This probably won't make you feel any better, but the "refresh annoyance," (as you tactfully put it), has plagued vBulletin message-boarders since time in memoriam. (Which I believe is 7 years.)

I don't think that the creators of vBulletin ever thought that people would be putting up the long and sophisticated posts that are the norm on this site.

I'll bring this up in the moderator's forum. There have always been "quick'n dirty" ways to circumvent the annoyance, but perhaps there's a real solution. We'll get back to you soon.

Alonzo-ny
June 17th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks! i notice it doesnt happen on SSC. i can even leave the site completely and come back and stuff i havent read is still able to view the last unread even days after.

Edward
June 18th, 2007, 12:19 AM
The newer vbulletin version solves the problem - I have changed settings from option 1 to option 3, should be fine now.

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read. The options are:

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
2) Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
3) Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

lofter1
June 18th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks ^^^ (I guess) ...

It was quite a surprise this AM to see listsed umpteen pages of supposed "unread" threads ...

I was very relieved to see this on page two:

The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.

Ninjahedge
June 18th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I was kind of wondering the same thing there....

Oh, I also knew this place had that time-out read thing. It made it hard to see where you had read (not all of us can spend 2 hours in the AM going through every forum...). You had to just scan by date and make your own choice after a bit...

Others have it so that things stay up for days if you have not read them... The only problem I see with that is that if you have not read, say, topic "Paris Hilton", but you have read all the others, the forum section will still look like it has a "new" post in it. I have not tested it here yet...

If this is the case, there may be a need for a reset at something like 4am for anyone who has logged in in the previous 24 hours......

Just a thought!

Edward
June 18th, 2007, 11:26 AM
You can always go to "Quick Links/Mark Forums Read" to mark forums as read.

Ninjahedge
June 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I know...

Been there, done that.... ;)

Alonzo-ny
June 20th, 2007, 03:50 PM
wow, if only the city ran so smoothly. First I ask for a poll and its there in a day and now this. I love you guys!!

ZippyTheChimp
June 20th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Our obsession is to make your forum experience an intensely pleasurable one.

:p

ablarc
June 20th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Preferred it the way it was.

jersey_guy
July 9th, 2007, 02:06 AM
I want to thank Edward for changing the marking type. This way when I do not have time to read all the new posts at once, I can only look at the most interesting threads, and all the other unread new posts will still appear as "new" when I come back to read them later!!