PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong and Beijing

Meerkat
June 21st, 2007, 09:41 PM
In less than 2 weeks now i'll be going to Hong Kong for 5 days and then up to Beijing by (overnight) train, where i'll be staying for a further 5 days.

I was wondering if anyone else on Wired New York has been to either city, and any suggestions about interesting places to visit would be very welcome. I have some guide books of course, but other travellers often give better advice about where to / not to visit.

Plus what is the easiest way to get to Beijing airport from the city? My flight leaves at 11 AM, and i'm a bit worried about getting there on time for my flight as its quite a way from the city and there is no direct rail link.

I'll post some of my photographs here when i get home (if i manage to make the flight back of course).

Meerkat
July 29th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Needless to say i got home ok after my trip to China. Here are some of my photographs. As with the pictures i uploaded of London, only about half have uploaded as the dimensions are more than 800x800. Very annoying, hardly any of the ones i took of Hong Kong have come out here.
pictures 1 and 5 and five are Hong Kong from Kowloon. Picture 2 is the star ferry (the best way to cross to Hong Kong!), three is taken from Victiria peak, picture 6 is the walled city park and 7 is of the infamous walled city itself (demolished in 1994). Picture 8 are some terepins in Hong Kong park. Pictures 9 and 10 are the forbidden city in Beijing.

Meerkat
July 29th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Again hardly any of my pictures have uploaded - i feel like throwing this computer through the window. Oh well.
Pictures 1 - 3 are the forbidden city in Beijing, 4 and 5 the great wall about 50 miles north of the city (it was about 37 degrees that day), 7 - 9 are the Lama temple in beijing and the last picture is the river Ob in Western Siberia as i was flying home over Russia.

Meerkat
July 29th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Its funny how the only pictures to upload without any problems are of the flight home.
Picture 1 is a town somewhere in Russia, 2 and 3 are the coastline of Estonia, 4 the coastline of Holland, and the remainder are flying into Heathrow in London. Picture 5 is of the part of London i live in, slightly right of the centre to be precise. Picture 10 is of Kew gardens - a very nice day out! As i have a fear of flying i'm surprised the pictures as the plane was coming into land aren't blurred - i was shaking like a leaf.
Anyway, i'll try to rectify the problem and hopefully post the remainder of my pictures here soon.

ablarc
August 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM
Splendid! Hong Kong is wonderful; that Pelli building simply awe-inspiring.

Did you encounter any questionable food on your visit?

Meerkat
August 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM
^It is an amazing place - they skyline and the setting are fantastic. I'd love to go again some time in the furture.
Most of the food was fine, although when i was in Beijing i saw live Scorpions on sticks ready to cook, which i believe is a delicacy there.
I think i've finally worked out how to download pictures properly although some of them are still being rejected. Here are some more from Hong Kong.

Meerkat
August 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM
The first four pictures are Hong Kong, the rest are inside the forbidden city in Beijing. I think a couple i may have already downloaded earlier.

Meerkat
August 4th, 2007, 10:06 AM
The great wall was also an amazing experience, although very crowded. It was also a very hot day, so i didn't manage to explore as much of it as i would have liked.