PDA

View Full Version : What to bring?

nyugirl
June 30th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Sorry that I keep posting questions, but I'm getting ready to come to nyc to look for an apartment and new questions keep coming to me. I've lived in apartments before, but this is a whole different ball game for me and I feel like I am in so far over my head. Well anyways, here is my question...

When I come to look for an apartment what do I need to bring? I will have to have my parents as a guarantor because I am a student and will have like no money (outside of my student loans) but they will not be with me when looking for apartments..do I need to bring stuff on them? If so what? How much money should I have immediately accessible to me? What form should I have it in? Like will I need to put down deposits and stuff that day? What's an average amount to need? Is it normal to have to pay an application fee? What's a reasonable/normal amount? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to get there and not have what is needed!!!

Also, how is Roosevelt Island? A good place to live? Stuff to do?

I know I probably sound so stupid, but I really don't know anything yet!!!

Thanks for all your help!
NYUgirl

Front_Porch
June 30th, 2007, 11:01 PM
You might as well bring a letter from one of your parents on letterhead from their job stating that it is their intention to guarantee your lease from Sept 1, 2007 (or whenever) to Sept 1, 2008 (or whenever) and that to that end, they pre-authorize a credit check on S.S. #XXX-XX-XXXX.

That's a sort of fake-o document, but it tells the story as well as anything can in absence of your actual parents. It will at least let you put an application in as though you had your own money.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

nyugirl
June 30th, 2007, 11:23 PM
how much money do i need to have on hand and in what form? and what other documents do i need? would it help to have a copy of one or both of my parents pay stubs?

NYUgirl

MidtownGuy
June 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM
hi. Roosevelt Island is sort of a strange, in-between kind of place. I don't think you'd want to live there. Not much to do except look at a pretty view of the midtown skyline. There's an abandoned nuthouse on one end, a lighthouse on the other, and a bunch of identical brick apartment buildings in between. A food store in the center, some walking paths along the perimeter, and not much else.

I have been there one time only, and I happened to meet the love of my life there that day! We're still together.

Anyway, Welcome to New York. It will change your world.:)