View Full Version : need a little NY help :)

July 13th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Hi guys,
Im a writer in Australia. MY new novel is about a boy from NYC who now lives in Australia - at least for a while. I have two questions im hoping someone can help me with. The first is.. can someone please tell me.. in American Football, when the ball is about to be passed thru the legs of the player to the guy behind.. what is it they say! Someone said, Hup Two! but Im just not sure thats correct. The 2nd question is, two brothers are talking, older to younger, he uses an affectionate brotherly name for eg Hi there, squirt. But they tell me squirt is not the right word.. not American enough. Can anyone advise as to what he would call him? Thanks a mill :)

July 13th, 2007, 10:15 AM
"HIKE" is the football term. "Hut" is the prelude to "Hike".

For the brothers: "Bro" (or "Bruh") might be the term most generally in use.

But in regards to your story it would seem that a particular older brother might call his younger brother by any number of specific nicknames -- which would have evolved naturally, depending upon their relationship.

"Squirt" could be one of those. Among many others:



July 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM
depending on the age difference, buddy or pal might work too.