PDA

View Full Version : NYC in January

TonyMontana
July 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I am visiting NYC in January for 5 nights. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice of any sport that is played at this time of year that we could go to watch. Also any other advice would b appreaciated. We are all around 25 so will be lookin for a good nightlife also. Thanks in advance.

NYatKNIGHT
July 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Professional football (playoffs), basketball and hockey are all played in January, as is college basketball.

Good nightlife is all over, you won't have trouble finding it in any neighborhood.

Do you have more specific questions?

TonyMontana
July 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Professional football (playoffs), basketball and hockey are all played in January, as is college basketball.

Good nightlife is all over, you won't have trouble finding it in any neighborhood.

Do you have more specific questions?

I was wondering how easy it would be travelling to yankee stadium for a tour. We are staying around 1/2 mile from time square.

Ninjahedge
July 13th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Tours of the stadium in winter are not really available, as far as I know.

That is pretty much when they shut down and try to get any maintainance/inspection work done....

You can go there on your own, but the area is pretty dead during off-season, and January can be brutally cold.

TonyMontana
July 13th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Tours of the stadium in winter are not really available, as far as I know.

That is pretty much when they shut down and try to get any maintainance/inspection work done....

You can go there on your own, but the area is pretty dead during off-season, and January can be brutally cold.

yeh, we were thinking it would be. Is it still possible to go site seeing in January or does a lot of things shut down? We will just be doing to usuall tourist stuff. Hope everything doesn't as we really want to see lot of things. We are quite use to the brutally cold here in the UK where im from so that wont be a problem:D

antinimby
July 13th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Don't worry TonyMontana, most everything is open during January as they would be during any other time of the year.

Ninjahedge was mistaken when he said there's no tours of Yankee Stadium during the winter.

Go here (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/stadium_tours.jsp) to get all the information you need about touring the Stadium during your visit. You can purchase tickets in advance on that website also.

By the way, 2008 will be last year for this Yankee Stadium before it gets demolished the following year, so you couldn't have picked a better time to see it for the final time.

TonyMontana
July 14th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Don't worry TonyMontana, most everything is open during January as they would be during any other time of the year.

Ninjahedge was mistaken when he said there's no tours of Yankee Stadium during the winter.

Go here (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/stadium_tours.jsp) to get all the information you need about touring the Stadium during your visit. You can purchase tickets in advance on that website also.

By the way, 2008 will be last year for this Yankee Stadium before it gets demolished the following year, so you couldn't have picked a better time to see it for the final time.
:D thank you. I fancy seeing it, although I have never seen a full baseball game and know nothing about it. I just love great stadiums and sport. We have a great one here for my local soccer team. THanks again

Ninjahedge
July 17th, 2007, 09:51 AM

There weren't any tours of the stadium and grounds while we were inspecting it.

In January.

Go fig.

Gunslinger
July 18th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Have done the Tour and it is great - as a Yankee fan for me it was like being on hallowed ground (especially in the dugout and locker room)

Even a complete baseball novice should enjoy what is still one of the 3 great old cathedrals of baseball (Wrigley & Fenway being the other 2)

Oh & bring lots of cash for the Yankee store after