PDA

View Full Version : Space-saving ideas when moving into a small (studio) apartment.

NY2Cali
July 13th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I recently moved from the tri-state to Southern California. I am faced with the challenge of fixing up my first studio apartment. Do you have any space saving ideas? I am moving from a small space to another, with tons of stuff.

I am so excited!

Ninjahedge
July 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM
1. Get rd of anything you do not need. REALLY.

Just because you like it does not mean you can use it. Stick with the basics needed for survival and work your way up from there. It is easier than coming in with a load of stuff and whittling it down later in a crowded apartment.

2. I would recommend things like LCD screens for TV or for computer. I would recommend more scandanavian style minimalist furnature (no "overstuffed" style armchairs) I would also recommend things that are convertable, such as beds and tables (collapsable/fold out leaves).

3. Look at the walls and realize that so long as they are not plaster you can hang stuff from them. Speakers, lights, small animals. Just make sure you do not do the streamlined shelving or its lack of support will have them falling off if you put more than dried flowers on them.

That's about all I can offer. I would suggest that you find a storage service nearby and dump your stuff in there, then go back on the weekends and slowly bring the things you need to the apartment.

Anything that is left after a year that has no real sentimental value (and I mean REAL), ditch.

GL!

Punzie
July 14th, 2007, 12:22 AM
NY2Cali- You might also find this thread useful:

Post pics of your apartment! (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8936)

Front_Porch
July 14th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Hubby and I spent $8,000 on an incredibly fancy Murphy bed setup, and it was one of the smartest things we ever did.

It gave us about twelve running feet of bookshelves and cabinetry, and the studio looks like a living room during the day.

You can get cheaper ones starting at around $2K -- note that you might also have to buy a new mattress, because not all old "fat" mattresses fit.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

NY2Cali
July 14th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Those are great suggestions! I can't wait to throw out stuff that I don't need. I'm just way too sentimental - I hold on to everything! I'm thinking of also getting a futon to save space. I have a queen bed an only one of me! I checked out the photos too. Very interesting.

Where do you get your design ideas? I get a lot my ideas form HGTV. Have you heard of the all new season of Design Star in Las Vegas? In the show, 11 aspiring designers compete to be the Ultimate Design Star and win their very own show on HGTV. It's a great show, fun and you learn a thing or two about design!

Check out http://www.hgtv.com/design star.

If you have anymore tips or suggestions about space saving I could really use them, feel free to reply!

lofter1
July 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
hmmmm ^^^

A "trying to be friendly & clever" round-about spam-attack?

Fabrizio
July 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Honestly. I didn't believe this one for a minute:

"I recently moved from the tri-state to Southern California. I am faced with the challenge of fixing up my first studio apartment. Do you have any space saving ideas? I am moving from a small space to another, with tons of stuff.

I am so excited!"

Oh c'mon. If it's such a problem, get friendly with your dumpster... have a garage sale.... leave your stuff on the side of the road. What's the big deal?

^ BTW: I got a tip for the spammer: wouldn't it have made more sense to say: "I am moving from a large space to a studio apartment, with tons of stuff." instead of telling us that you are "moving from a small space to another with tons of stuff." ? In other words you are telling us that you are ALREADY living in a small space with tons of stuff.

Wouldn't you have figured out where to put things by now?

Punzie
July 15th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Where do you get your design ideas? I get a lot my ideas form <snipped TV network>. Have you heard of the all new season of <snipped TV show> in Las Vegas? In the show, 11 aspiring designers compete to be the Ultimate <snipped title> and win their very own show on <snipped TV network>. It's a great show, fun and you learn a thing or two about design!

Check out <snipped website>.
(When I snipped out the identifying information, it reads like MadLibs.)

NY2Cali- Either this is an advertisement in disguise or you're an avid fan of the show. Please don't post like this again, or I'll have to assume that it's an advertisement, which is spam and a bannable offense.

----------------------------------------------------------

The website gets a thumbs down from me for advice on furnishing a studio apartment. The photos indicate that the website is actually geared toward the opposite -- a house, or an apartment with a lot of space.

There's one decorating idea and photo that is an absolute no-no -- just plain dangerous -- in the West, especially California. Having lived there for three years, the error jumped right out at me the moment I saw the photo. The experts didn't pick up on it, which makes me wonder how expert they are. NY2Cali, just to be safe, don't use this website when you're decorating in California.

lofter1
July 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Having grown up in California it was found that using fishing line (to "tie down" objects -- it's basically invisible) and florists clay (it goes underneath objects) to secure various display items to walls / surfaces can save you some money & trouble when the tremblors roll through.

Works ^^^ in large or small spaces :cool:

Luca
July 16th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Ligne Roset (among others) sells a very nice coffee table that rises to becomea dinner table when you have company, a real space saver. There is also a table (from Ikea, I think) that folds to a really tiny (console table) size AND allows you to fold two chairs 'inside' it.

If you have a small place, you will eat other than in a specific eating area so I recommend easy-to-clean flooring (no wall-to-wall).

Ninjahedge
July 17th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I already watch HG, actually the wife does, and all the other design shows on TV.

I have to say that they look good ON TV, but when you see things like pressboard being used as the main structural component, you have to cringe.

Also, the lack of sanding and finishing on a lot of the pieces is apparent if you look really closely. The worst for this being:

Design on a Dime

and

Trading Spaces.

One other thing, the whole modern line-shelving they show, and these shows are what I was warning about when I mentioned:
Just make sure you do not do the streamlined shelving or its lack of support will have them falling off if you put more than dried flowers on them.

Those thin wall shelves that just come out from teh wall and are only attached with one screw line fall off very easily. You need depth, probably about 6 inches for a good support of a shelf (depending on shelf depth and length and what will be placed on it). Any less and you may get pull out and sag.

So I hope we could help you on this. If this was spam, I credit you for taking the extra time rather than just spam-boting it.

One thing you may want to do though. Instead of trying to get us to watch, why don't you ASK us our opinions on this and that. Admit where you are coming from and treat us like professionals rather than viewer fish you are trolling for and you might get some good ideas, links and advice.

On that note, I hope this was genuinely clean. If not, please stop.

Fabrizio
July 17th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Count the exclaimation points in those 2 posts. No one is that enthusiastic unless they're selling something.

Ninjahedge
July 17th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Those are great suggestions! I can't wait to throw out stuff that I don't need. I'm just way too sentimental - I hold on to everything! I'm thinking of also getting a futon to save space. I have a queen bed an only one of me! I checked out the photos too. Very interesting.

Where do you get your design ideas? I get a lot my ideas form HGTV. Have you heard of the all new season of Design Star in Las Vegas? In the show, 11 aspiring designers compete to be the Ultimate Design Star and win their very own show on HGTV. It's a great show, fun and you learn a thing or two about design!

Check out http://www.NOT TODAY.com/design.

If you have anymore tips or suggestions about space saving I could really use them, feel free to reply!

5 times. A little much, but she could have had a cappuchino....

And the red? Yeah, that is an ad. No one I know EVER says "11 aspiring designers" when describing a show.

Especially when the main line looks a lot like what they have on their site:

The competition heats up this summer as 11 aspiring designers once again risk it all for a chance to win the ultimate prize — their own show on HGTV!

Too close.

NY2Cali.... BUSTED!!!!

Try to take this as a learning experience. You got the hook in pretty well, but your landing sounded too much like the ad (as pointed out in my quote).

You need a softer sell.

lofter1
July 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM
All the design shows are pretty much run by Art Directors who work in TV.

The designs are governed by what LOOKS GOOD on Video / TV -- not the real world.

This explains the lack of sanding / finishing mentioned above -- TV softens all those imperfections and the viewer doesn't see how bad it looks in real life.

Also for anyone who has ever painted a shelf it's pretty clear that if you pile stuff on that shelf one to two days after painting then you're either going to end up with (1) a crappy looking shelf or (2) items stuck to that shelf.

My rule of thumb is that shelves need a minimum of 2 Weeks after painting to cure before stuff goes on them.

But I'm a bit crazy & obsessive about things :cool: ...

Ninjahedge
July 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Yep. I have also seen them painting floors and other ill-conceived things that would not last 2 months (some not two nights thanks to the cats) in our place.

Some look better than others, but most look cheap.

The best ones are the ones that actually have realistic budgets and you see them help plan and remodel a place. Back to reality rather than "something for nothing".

Hell, even Clean Sweep is kind of fun to watch.

But there are still problems. One of their shows, where they look at places and a person comes in and talks about rennovating the place to match their needs and still stay under budget is a cool idea, but I have cringed at their haphazard placement of things.

They will place new floors on areas that have not been designed for the weight (a flat roof or attic floor may look sturdy, but they can be VERY flexible and poorly suited for actual living if you do not stiffen them up). They also like to move walls around as if the only thing keeping the building up was the outside walls (A little malady I usually call Architectural Blindness... ;) Maybe it is more "Architecturally Induced STRUCTURAL Blindness"......).

Ah well.

Suggestion: Maybe this thread should be changed to what it really is. "Cable Design Shows - Likes/Dislikes"

NY2Cali
July 17th, 2007, 03:42 PM
oh no, what did i start? I didnt want to stir things up like this, I work with HGTV so i know a lot of this type of info...my bad Ninja. For everyone else with the thoughts and suggestions, thanks!. let me know if you have questions, really!

Fabrizio
July 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Ok... some questions: I don't want to get too personal and in your business but, I'm just curious: do you plug just this show or also others?

Is the pay good? Full time/part time?

Do they give you a list of internet forums to work with, or are you on your own?

I'm wondering if they give you a method for posting... tips for schmoozing... that sort of thing.

When you applied for the job, it looks like spelling and grammer were not important requirements, is that so?

Can anyone do this? Do you have to live in Hollywood or could I do this from Italy?

Thanks in advance.

ALSO if you are interested, you might be able to help out on this thread:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14461

ZippyTheChimp
July 17th, 2007, 08:37 PM
[I didnt want to stir things up like this, No need to stir when it's one of these.

http://www.jardenstore.com/images/products/CrockPot/Products/33511LD-C_1.jpg

macreator
July 18th, 2007, 01:42 AM
No need to stir when it's one of these.

http://www.jardenstore.com/images/products/CrockPot/Products/33511LD-C_1.jpg

Believe it or not I'm friendly with someone that has worked on the infomercials for the Crockpot. I've got to see if I can get one for free ;)

Fabrizio
July 18th, 2007, 05:48 AM
^ I still have a Sunbeam crockpot from 30 years ago when I was a student. It is in authentic 1970's avocado green...still works perfectly. Crockpot cooking is horrible ( unless it's oatmeal) but occasionally I drag it out (when no one is looking) to make meat. Really. I discovered a way to make meat that is somewhat like good Italian "bollito" (boiled meat... and quite a fine dish). The results are amazing. Here goes:

Fabrizio's Cold Crackpot Pork:

Have the butcher cut a piece of boneless pork loin... a piece that will fit well in the crockpot. Have him tie the pork. It must be solid and compact.

Salt and pepper the pork well.

Add nothing else. No other seasonings, no oil, no broth, nothing. Cover.

Turn the crockpot on. (Mine is either on or off. No temp adjustment) Leave it to cook for 6 to 8 hours.

When it's done the meat will be swimming in fatty broth. Throw that stuff away. Pat dry the meat and let it cool to room temperature.

When the meat is cool it will slice into beautiful thin compact slices. Nice for sandwiches but really great in the summer for a nice plate of meat garnished with green sauce (bagn&#232;t vert), hot mustard etc.

---

This is traditional bollito:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oishi/77703847/

--

ZippyTheChimp
July 18th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Am I gonna have to rummage through the warehouse of retarded wedding gifts?

Fabrizio
July 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Zip: for best results, slice the pork with an electric carving knife.

Ninjahedge
July 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Stews come out well in a crock pot, especially tougher meats.

Chicken tends to get tough unless you are using something like dark meat though.

The only things that a crock is good for is soup or stew.

Ninjahedge
July 18th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Also, if she is a spammer, she did her work pretty well, even posting on the Member Intros first.

I am beginning to suspect that she may not be a deliberate spamemr, but someone who could not resist throwing in a plug for her job. I have seen others do something similar on other sites (bringing their work, which is usually sales, onto/into the discussion on the boards).

Whatevah.

ZippyTheChimp
July 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Her California studio is in Texas.

lofter1
July 18th, 2007, 08:28 PM
A spammer with forked tongue :mad:

Ninjahedge
July 19th, 2007, 09:06 AM
So, NY2, you going to come clean, or should your tag become one of the many on the spammer list?

lofter1
July 19th, 2007, 12:15 PM
A spammer with forked tongue

spam-ette :confused:

Ninjahedge
July 19th, 2007, 12:27 PM
An upholstered spammer.

Luca
July 23rd, 2007, 03:30 AM
Crockpot cooking is horrible ( unless it's oatmeal)
--

In the immortal words of my 4yr old: "what are you TALKING about?" ;)

Carne Compuesta, most German stews (including Sauerbrauten), Goulasch and Chile con Carne can turn out VERY well in a crockpot, as long as you first sautee the veggies separately. :cool: