PDA

View Full Version : What makes NYC worth it, for you?

dennisonNYC
July 16th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Hey guys,

I was the one who just asked for all the reasons people seem to leave NYC. Now, riddle me this- what makes New York worth it all?

What specific (or abstract) features make living in New York City worth the high taxes, small spaces, grime, rudeness, dirt, etc?

I'm curious to hear your reasons, if you can pinpoint them. I know that my desire to move to New York can hardly be explained. I've only been to the city twice and yet I feel some strange spiritual connection with the pace of life. What about you?

NoyokA
July 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I read the responses in Reasons People Leave New York and disagreed with most of the reasons people gave, especially that people in New York are rude, I can’t go five minutes with out talking to someone, because we are all within such close proximity to each other we are forced to interact with each other, in fact its somewhat expected. The perceived rudeness of New Yorkers are some peoples experiences though so I decided not to reply, I guess I just have an approachable face. A big reason people leave NY is money, but you make so much more money in New York I find it worth it, sure you’ll be living in small quarters, but it’s a sacrifice I willingly make in order to easily afford what I want, I go on vacations, I eat out everyday, and go out whenever I want, if I see something I want I buy it, and this is all because I still make enough money to save up. Anywhere else I would probably have huge living quarters, although I recently got a steal of an apt., but I couldn’t afford all the luxuries I can now. Now that I can afford these luxuries I find myself always out enjoying them and spending my time with New Yorkers, who I think are the friendliest people on earth, an apt. is negligible because for me it’s just a place to crash. I have alot of energy and I feed off the energy of NYC which has everything to offer for someone who never wants to stop, or be stopped up inside.

RandySavage
July 16th, 2007, 05:13 PM
New York is the Alpha City... the place the rest of the world beats a path to. There is a certain pride that comes with living in the greatest city of the modern age, possibly human history. As Rome was to Pax Romana, New York is to Pax Americana. New York offers the just about the best of everything: parks, museums, skyscrapers & architecture, bars, restaurants, theatre, etc. It's got an incredibly rich history, which gets richer by the day, particularly as the post-9/11 rebuilding gets underway. It has an urbanity like no other city in America.

Some of these quotes more eloquently speak to why people are drawn to New York:

“Skyscraper national park.” -- Kurt Vonnegut

“New York is the biggest collection of villages in the world.” -- Alistair Cooke

“New York is a different country. Maybe it ought to have a separate government. Everybody thinks differently, acts differently --they just don't know what the hell the rest of the United States is.” -- Henry Ford

“New York remains what it has always been: a city of ebb and flow, a city of constant shifts of population and economics, a city of virtually no rest. It is harsh, dirty and dangerous, it is whimsical and fanciful, it is beautiful and soaring--it is not one or another of these things but all of them, all at once, and to fail to accept this paradox is to deny the reality of city existence.” -- Paul Goldberger

“New York is an arrogant city; it has always wanted to be all things to all people, and a surprising amount of the time it has succeeded. It has always been a city of commerce, and the values of commerce have tended to supercede other values. There is no pretense here of excessive gentility, and the rush was always to the new, the large, the prosperous, the fashionable.” --Paul Goldberger

“You come to New York to find the ambiance that will evoke your best. You do not necessarily know precisely what that might be, but you come to New York to discover it.” -- Dr. James Hillman

“It wasn't until I got to New York that I became Kansan. Everyone there kept reminding me they were Jewish or Irish, or whatever, so I kept reminding them that I was mid-western. Before I knew it, I actually began to brag about being from Kansas! I discovered I had something a bit unique, but it was the nature of New York that forced me to claim my past.” --William Inge

“Cut off as I am, it is inevitable that I should sometimes feel like a shadow walking in a shadowy world. When this happens I ask to be taken to New York City. Always I return home weary but I have the comforting certainty that mankind is real and I myself am not a dream.” -- Helen Keller

“New York attracts the most people in the world in the arts and professions. It also attracts them in other fields. Even the bums are talented.” -- Edmund Love

“One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years” -- Thomas Wolfe

“Roaming the streets of New York, we encountered many examples of this delightful quality of New Yorkers, forever on their toes, violently, restlessly involving themselves in the slightest situation brought to their attention, always posing alternatives, always ready with an answer or an argument.” -- Jessica Mitford

“The city is not a concrete jungle, it is a human zoo.” -- Desmond Morris

“Most human beings are driven to seek security and comfort. But there is another group that can only thrive on change and the unexpected of New York.” -- Cathleen Nesbit

“New York... when civilization falls apart, remember, we were way ahead of you.” -- David Letterman

“I wonder what it is in the New York air that enables me to sit up till all hours of the night in an atmosphere which in London would make a horse dizzy, but here merely clears the brain” -- James Agate

“When you leave New York, you are astonished at how clean the rest of the world is. Clean is not enough.” -- Fran Lebowitz

clubBR
July 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Every single quote above rings true.

I love all things New York. It's my home and it's my life. I know of nothing else and even if I do, it is insignificant.

New York is everything

Luca
July 17th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I don't live in NYC.

But I remember the first time I approached it, from JFK airport, in a taxi. Like most everyone else, I guess.

It was sunset verging on dusk. The skyline was silhouetted against the western light and looked so distant, given the scale of it, the ungraspable scale of it.

As the taxi emerged into Manhattan, the sheer canyon walls of midtown and its din of lights and movement engulfed us so thoroughly, it felt like being underwater. Swimming quickly around a technicolor barrier reef and yet breathing.

We arrived and I stepped out of the cab. It was a sultry evening, perhaps too hot and the noise and smells rushed in, dizzyingly. I looked up (like any good tourist must) and I smiled. In some ways, I’ve never left that NY sidewalk or, rather, it has never left me.

jenbleep
July 17th, 2007, 06:17 AM
wow luca are you a writer? you should be that was beautiful! i want to read more about yuor trip to NYC!

haven't been to new york but there is definalty something about it that makes me want to go there, im planning a trip before i turn 25. im 22 now!

Punzie
July 17th, 2007, 06:48 AM
What makes NYC worth it, for you?
Your question presupposes that New York City is a huge struggle, a tremendous ball-and-chain that weighs heavily on people who live here. I've lived here, on-again-off-again, since the beginning of the 1960s, and I have not found it to be that way. On the contrary, I've found it to be THE "city of opportunity" -- a place where anybody with brains and determination can make it. The friendly people outweigh the rude ones; the other problems are easy enough to shake off if you keep perspective: you're living in the greatest city in the world!

The big problems I've had in NY are with the NIMBYs in the suburbs outside of NYC. In a few weeks, I'm moving to Central Queens and staying in New York City forever.:cool:

NewYorkDoc
July 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM
The cultural events...and the diverse amount of people. If it werent for those two things I'd probably be in London.

clubBR
July 19th, 2007, 11:24 PM
When it rains, NYC is kind of depressing. But when it's sunny, NYC feels great

Schadenfrau
July 19th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Frankly, I love good food and I loathe driving.

While I enjoy my travels in other parts of America, I don't know that I could live in a place where people want to live amongst "their own kind" and curse words aren't considered adjectives.

media35
July 20th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Why I like living in NY-

It's assisted living

everything you want is a phone call away

dennisonNYC
July 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hey all,

Thanks for all the fantastic insight. I can't wait.

-dennisonNYC :)

MikeKruger
July 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM
because being in NYC makes the white picket fence suburban life seem dull meaningless and utterly materialistic.

lofter1
July 20th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Right now there are literally hundreds of people on the sidewalk below my place all eagerly awaiting the publishing of a BOOK.

It's one hour to kick off and the crowd is getting crazy -- dancing, screaming, a group cheer now and then.

While folks might be lining up in other cities to get this book I'd be willing to bet the gang here in NYC is making more noise about it.

I love how NYers make noise. The people. Not their cars.

manchesterexport
July 21st, 2007, 05:13 AM
Haha. I assume the poster above is referring to Harry Potter?!

Though I can't see the fuss, never did ten years ago when I was the right age to immerse myself in the magic (I was then then).

It took a wizard's magic to put NY at standstill, lol!

lofter1
July 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Aside from wirednewyork, reading online can be a pain in the butt ...

Besides, the weight of a book in one's lap is a wonderful thing.

Dmain_Event
July 27th, 2007, 02:44 PM
wow luca are you a writer? you should be that was beautiful! i want to read more about yuor trip to NYC!

haven't been to new york but there is definalty something about it that makes me want to go there, im planning a trip before i turn 25. im 22 now!

A trip? I am planning on moving out there, This year!!

ablarc
August 2nd, 2007, 06:38 PM
wow luca are you a writer? you should be that was beautiful!
He's a writer alright, but he's usually no typist.

abrahamtim
August 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
all these high buildings are just amazing. and also when it snows its beautifull

redhot00
September 11th, 2007, 11:21 AM
New York is what everyone and everything else strives to be. It surrounds you and envelopes you, and has it's way with you. Yes, there are times that it chews you up and spits you out, but in the end, New York is what you want it to be. My New York may be vastly different than your New York. And that's what makes it New York.

Wherever you are within the five boroughs, someone has been there and done that before you. It's history doesn't date back nearly as far as that of Rome or Greece, but it is equally as colorful. A narrative of New York's history reads like a sweeping fiction novel, complete with colorful characters; heroes and villains alike; that come and go, leaving legacies behind.

And that history is still there, alive and well. You can enter the building where Lincoln delivered his "Might Makes Right" speech. It's possible to stand in the spot where Bobby Thompson stood when he hit his "Shot Heard 'Rround the World". One can linger in the approximate area where it's believed that Nathan Hale was hanged. Walk the blocks where Malcom X inspired many, and you'll still feel his presence. Immerse yourself among the blocks where the Roebling family dwelt while engineering and building the Great Bridge, which even to this day makes one marvel at the masterpiece of architecture and design that it is.

It's a city made up of villages. Villages whose inhabitants have made the journey from every corner of the globe.

Like the old song goes: I happen to like New York.

MagnusPym
September 12th, 2007, 02:54 AM
It's virtually impossible to be bored here---there's always something going on (good or bad) every hour of every day and you never have to go too far to find it. Food, sex & art are available in abundance. If someone can't look past the noise, the crowds & the stale urine smell to recognize that, then they wouldn't make it here anyway.

Go Yanks!

RICKOWENS
September 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM
As a former Los Angeleno, I find New York absolutely amazing. Beautiful and full of character.

I don't see myself ever moving out of New York. The food, the architecture, skyscrapers, world-class shopping, the lights, the attitude.

I just love the energy of New York. It's very hard to explain.

BrooklynRider
September 12th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I love New York because it is never finished. There is always something new being built. There is always a new exhibit at a museum. There is always a new restaurant or hotspot. There are always new theater productions. There always new traffic patterns. New subway line changes. New window displays. Always a new wacko on the corner. New panhandlers. Always a new lingo and new fashion. New transit fare. New Yankees and Mets. New people getting arrested. Newprotests. New celebrations. New flowers every Spring. New street performers. New people arriving from around the world.

I love New York because I know my neighbors here. Rocco the Butcher, Natalie the cheese lady, Simon who does my laundry, Joe at the Cafe, Lenny at the card shop, Howie & Wayne my pharmacists, Derek the panhandler, so many more. Everyone knows each other and respects each other. We walk and talk and pass each other by with smiles. When I leave my house, I don't step into the isolation of a car. I step into the world of street life.

NYC is a place where you live your life as a gloriously individual character while still feeling a part of something bigger. NYC is about synergy. It's about dynamics. It's about motion. Walk down an Avenue - the same route - for a week. It will be different every day.

New York is international. It is the epicenter. It is not resentative of the USA and the USA is not representative of us. New York is unique. New Yorkers - true New Yorker (residents of the city - NOT the suburbs) - are VERY friendly people and very generous. If you live in this city, you must co-exist and integrate and take part in this interdependent society.

I love New York! :D