PDA

View Full Version : High speed internet providers

nyugirl
July 18th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Who do you all use for high speed internet, wireless, in your apartment? Who do you use for cable? What do the rates typically run?

Thanks,
NYU girl

jersey_guy
July 18th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I use Cablevision's "Triple Play" for my cable/internet/phone, which comes out much cheaper than if I subscribed to all 3 services separately through 3 different companies, but I don't know if such a deal exists in Manhattan.

Orion01255
July 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM
i use AOL broadband with Time Warner (powered by roadrunner) cable $29.95/mo

BklynPenny
July 22nd, 2007, 06:48 AM
$29.95 / month for roadrunner? How'd you manage that? Were you already a Time Warner cable subscriber? When I was in Manhattan, it was $60/month, but it was fast and pretty reliable. Not too bad if you split it among a few roommates.

ManhattanKnight
July 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM
nyugirl:

While your question is straightforword, answering it isn't, since the availability of broadband providers in NYC varies by borough and neighborhood and often by specific buildings (some apartment buildings have contractual arrangements with a single provider). At the moment, the fastest (but not the cheapest) service is provided by one of the two cable TV companies (TimeWarner and Cablevision) that operate cable franchises awarded by the City of NY. Each neighborhood is served by one or the other of these companies (but not by both). A third company, RCN, provides cable-TV-like services (including broadband) in very limited areas.

DSL is available from Verizon (and some other "telephone" companies) in most areas of the City. Verizon is also now beginning to offer its much faster all-fiber optic broadband service ("FiOS") in limited areas (now mainly Staten Island and parts of Brooklyn and Queens). It has applied to the City of New York for a franchise to offer TV over its FiOS network throughout the City.

Prices range from about $20/month (for the slowest flavor of DSL) to $200/month or more (for a full package of high-speed cable services).

Orion01255
July 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
well manhattenknight had a good point about the extreme variability of broadband availability and its prices....as for me, i was an AOL dial-up customer and upgrading to AOL Broadband (Cable) (which goes through Time Warner, ergo powered by Roadrunner) in my area i suppose, cost 29.95, in which the payments are no longer made to aol but time warner....it was a price change from 25.90 to 29.95...awesome deal...look it up, im not sure if its available in your area but if so, definitely worth it.