PDA

View Full Version : Poll regarding the direction this forum is headed.

stache
July 23rd, 2007, 12:43 AM
Do you think the Wired NY forums are better off with the signing on of the additional Moderator?

lofter1
July 23rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
Just want to let it be known that I have voted. Since so far it's unanimous there's no mystery as to where I stand.

To try to control free-wheeling human interactions which are the basis of this website is pointless. I find that much better use of time could be used to research a topic or two of interest and then create an article and post that here.

At the same time I acknowledge and applaud the hard work of ALL the moderators regarding NECESSARY nuts and bolts maintenance of the site -- without which the place would be a wreck. Which it is NOT. And has never been since I discovered it. (Which goes to show that heavy-handed and disruptive oversight as has recently taken place is NOT needed).

Fabrizio
July 23rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
The NYWired Forum polls are a fine way to judge the overall feeling of it's membership.

---

Merry
July 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
(4) Voters do not have the inside knowledge on what this forum would have been like if I had not been signed on as a moderator.

(5) Members who are happy with the moderating don't often come to Forum Issues. They are busy posting away...

(4) It would have been the same as it was before you came along, which was just fine.

(5) How is this measured? Just because members may not visit Forum Issues much doesn't necessarily mean they're happy.

ZippyTheChimp
July 23rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
(4) Voters do not have the inside knowledge on what this forum would have been like if I had not been signed on as a moderator.Being a moderator, I've stayed away from this public debate; but being a moderator, I consider the above statement a slap in the face.

Please clue me in on the inside knowledge as to where this forum was headed when Kris, Stern, NYatKnight and I guided it.

Ninjahedge
July 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Zip, didn't you know?

It was falling away from all of our younger posters!!!!

:p

And Rap, that was a bit of a smack there woman. The site did not seem to be having any real problems. They seemed to only need some additional hands to help around the house, not to try any remodeling.

Although changing some titles to help with the thread search is tolerable, other changes should be more agreed on rather than just done "because it would be better that way".

So I do not see where this site was going in a bad direction before you started.

NoyokA
July 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
I’m not going to take sides. But I will admit that recently the forum has come to a point where it’s become increasingly difficult to moderate and organize threads and answer forum member’s questions as disorder and certain members discontent has since come to pass. Usually I wouldn’t think a poll would be a good idea but this isn’t a popularity contest and the topic has been discussed in many other threads without consensus, it’s a good idea of how members feel which is important because I feel what really makes this forum what it is the voice and opinions of its members.

ablarc
July 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM
Voters who are not moderators do not have the inside knowledge on what this forum would have been like if I had not been signed on as a moderator.
They could see an impending disaster lurking in the wings and they could see they needed you to avert it?

Schadenfrau
July 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
Sorry, but that's thinking a little too highly of yourself, there. This is an internet message board, not Dick Cheney's bunker.

Jasonik
July 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Moderation should be used like salt - IN MODERATION.

It is essential to the flavor of the forum, but only as an enhancing ingredient.

Some dishes require liberal amounts, but others merely a whisper - if any.

An undefined bland confusing melange may be salvaged with strategic and prudent application, but there is no going back from the salt strangled taste of a chain-smoking fry cook with a headcold.

ZippyTheChimp
July 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
I didn't occur to me that moderators would want to vote in the poll.I had no intention of voting in the poll, and that has nothing to do with it.

(4) Voters do not have the inside knowledge on what this forum would have been like if I had not been signed on as a moderator.

I worded #4 imprecisely. I meant to say:

(4) Voters who are not moderators do not have the inside knowledge on what this forum would have been like if I had not been signed on as a moderator.The second is worse.

Now you're stating specifically that the moderators have this inside knowledge. I for one do not, and contrary to your implication, I never thought the forum needed to be rescued.

I stated this clearly a month ago. If you'd like, I can pull the post out of the moderator forum and post it here.

Ninjahedge
July 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
No no no zip!!

Otherwise it will have to be cut off of this thread and put on another one with a catchy title!!! ;)

Rap, you are basically stepping on people's toes. You are not doing it on purpose, and you are not wearing steel-tipped sht-kickers either. But, just know that people like things to stay the way they left them.

If someone puts a title on a thread, sometims that is because they would like to invoke a certain feeling to the discourse before they even click on it. So someone putting "Whoopsie-daisy" as their title showing a person falling may be more accurately labeled "What not to do while carrying high-quality cutlery in a ball bearing factory", it may be the persons intent to have the former rather than the latter.

As for the search feature, that is something else entirely. Sometimes the changing of a title, or addition of a tag-phrase may be handy for that, but a simple courtesy of asking the original poster before you do it would be welcomed.

The big one comes with thread edits and translocations. That may be something more warranted for the up-teenth "Cheap hotel in NYC?" thread, but sometimes the people here place things in certain sub-forums for a reason. They would like more of a political discussion over a buildings plans, or more of a news-discussion about a certain happening rather than it being placed somewhere else.

Those you handle with a very gentle touch. If people have messaged you about it, or if Ed has told you directly that it would be better to move it, then maybe you have a bit more impunity. But otherwise, have some courtesy and ask first. If it is not RUINING the BBS, there is no need for it to be moved.

I guess that is about it. I think you mean well, but like I said, you tromple all over the things in your efforts to "improve" the site.

So just relax, enjoy the site, and try to lend a helping hand once in a while.

Just remember to put down the carving knife before you do... k? ;)

lofter1
July 23rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
... moving 17 off-topic posts about TV actresses from a skyscraper thread to a social thread is fine-tuning, not rescuing.

No matter what you call it ^^^ it was unnecessary.

What PURPOSE did it serve?

[Besides killing the joke?]

Action without purpose is energy mis-spent.

ablarc
July 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
^ Also known as shuffling.

lofter1
July 23rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Word on the street is that we might soon have another moderator to join in the fun ...

Seems she fits the bill of being very orderly -- and does not look highly upon extraneous hi-jinks:

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/harry_potter_and_the_order_of_the_phoenix/imelda_staunton/phoenix.jpg

Bob
July 23rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
No issues with the forum, or how it's managed. I enjoy the site. Although my Attila the Hun comments do draw flak from time to time, I enjoy the lively give and take, and usually learn something along the way. The moderators are more than fair, and keep folks in line without being heavy-handed. It works.

Fabrizio
July 24th, 2007, 03:05 AM
For me the root of the problem:

All of the previous moderators have been passionate about architecture. And this forum is known and appreciated as an architecture forum. That's what distinguishes it. That's it niche.

It's not a general social forum... of which there are so many on the internet.

I feel that Rapunzel has no interest in architecture (I certainly see no evidence of it) and has a vision for the forum that does not jive with what really makes this place special. Architecture is the reason why we were all attracted to this forum in the first place.

An example: I was dismayed to see ANOTHER general social sub-forum created, the cutely named "Social Club".

Who cares?

Kids, this forum should be creating new ARCHITECTURE sub-forums. THAT'S why people come here.

For instance: we are often treated to photo-essay walking tours of NYC (and beyond). The most recent was by Krulltime and it was fantastic.

He took us to a neighborhood that probably most here have never visited. The photos were simple. Just plain straight-forward shots of buildings. Boring for most... but very exciting for people who love architecture and history.

Ablarc, of course, has done a number of them, with scholarly comments. A true gift to all of us.. and to those doing research.

Folks THAT'S the reason people come here. That's the stuff you want to promote. THAT'S the stuff that gives this forum worth.

SO? Why don't we have a new sub-forum called "walking tours" to combine all of these photo essays into one easily findable place?

THAT's the stuff the moderators should be most concerned about. Not making this another MySpace.

Work on those kind of ideas.

BUT NO...lately the concern here seems to be about dead celebrities, TV shows and how to choose a friggin' cat to match to the furniture. Suddenly we're getting dogs dressed up for Mardi Gras and animated gifs of dancing frogs.

I'm soon expecting to see "i"s dotted with hearts and smiley faces.

It's just all so gross and foreign to the the mood and tone of this place.

You want to attract a readership passionate about architecture, design, urban planning issues. You want professionals and passonate hobbiests. We need an Ablarc and an Allison Rogers. The architecture students. Remember that glass guy who posted here? We need engineers. And community activists... and so on.

You'll do that by inventing a few more architure sub-forums and by insisting on moderators who are architecture fanatics. Those moderators infuse the forum with a certain attitude, taste, and view point.

--

Also: Something must be said about Rapunzel's post about why she was not going to the reading. On the "reading" thread she posted this to Allison:

"I've been notified that some site members at your reading will give me a chilly reception, perhaps even attempt to start an argument. In light of this, my friend and I won't be driving in to your reading."

LOL! What? "Someone" notified her that some site members will give her a chilly reception at the reading ?

What does that mean?

"perhaps even attempt to start an argument." ???

WHO is this "someone" who informed her of this? And where did this "someone" get such information?

In other words, some site member announced to this "someone": "oh, we're going to give Rapunzel a chilly reception at the reading" and "perhaps even attempt to start an argument".

LOL. It's like the Sharks and the Jets getting word of a brawl at the gym. It's just so weird.

Posting such nonsense in a thread about a reading, where ANY person with class would ONLY give their best wishes, is shockingly manipulative and sleazy. Note too, that she posted this cryptic message after Allison mentioned that she was nervous about the event. Yet Rapunzel couldn't resist adding fuel to the fire by posting such insane drivle on the EVE of the reading. Shameful.

She truly brought the forum to it's lowest point.

THAT'S a moderator?

--

clubBR
July 24th, 2007, 03:31 AM
LOL whats going on? Why can't you just leave her alone? The forum is fine

Merry
July 24th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Thank you, Fabrizio, for elegantly articulating what hits the nail on the head.

I hadn't read the post regarding Alison's reading. I'm appalled.

User Name
July 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I have no problem with mods moving posts from where they don't belong. If it were left up to me I'd simply delete what didn't belong and edit out the references.

Except that's a lot of work and I'm apathetic towards the whole thing.

NoyokA
July 24th, 2007, 12:30 PM
For me the root of the problem:

All of the previous moderators have been passionate about architecture. And this forum is known and appreciated as an architecture forum. That's what distinguishes it. That's it niche.

It's not a general social forum... of which there are so many on the internet.

I feel that Rapunzel has no interest in architecture (I certainly see no evidence of it) and has a vision for the forum that does not jive with what really makes this place special. Architecture is the reason why we were all attracted to this forum in the first place.

An example: I was dismayed to see ANOTHER general social sub-forum created, the cutely named "Social Club".

Who cares?

Kids, this forum should be creating new ARCHITECTURE sub-forums. THAT'S why people come here.

For instance: we are often treated to photo-essay walking tours of NYC (and beyond). The most recent was by Krulltime and it was fantastic.

He took us to a neighborhood that probably most here have never visited. The photos were simple. Just plain straight-forward shots of buildings. Boring for most... but very exciting for people who love architecture and history.

Ablarc, of course, has done a number of them, with scholarly comments. A true gift to all of us.. and to those doing research.

Folks THAT'S the reason people come here. That's the stuff you want to promote. THAT'S the stuff that gives this forum worth.

SO? Why don't we have a new sub-forum called "walking tours" to combine all of these photo essays into one easily findable place?

THAT's the stuff the moderators should be most concerned about. Not making this another MySpace.

Work on those kind of ideas.

BUT NO...lately the concern here seems to be about dead celebrities, TV shows and how to choose a friggin' cat to match to the furniture. Suddenly we're getting dogs dressed up for Mardi Gras and animated gifs of dancing frogs.

I'm soon expecting to see "i"s dotted with hearts and smiley faces.

It's just all so gross and foreign to the the mood and tone of this place.

You want to attract a readership passionate about architecture, design, urban planning issues. You want professionals and passonate hobbiests. We need an Ablarc and an Allison Rogers. The architecture students. Remember that glass guy who posted here? We need engineers. And community activists... and so on.

You'll do that by inventing a few more architure sub-forums and by insisting on moderators who are architecture fanatics. Those moderators infuse the forum with a certain attitude, taste, and view point.

--

Also: Something must be said about Rapunzel's post about why she was not going to the reading. On the "reading" thread she posted this to Allison:

"I've been notified that some site members at your reading will give me a chilly reception, perhaps even attempt to start an argument. In light of this, my friend and I won't be driving in to your reading."

LOL! What? "Someone" notified her that some site members will give her a chilly reception at the reading ?

What does that mean?

"perhaps even attempt to start an argument." ???

WHO is this "someone" who informed her of this? And where did this "someone" get such information?

In other words, some site member announced to this "someone": "oh, we're going to give Rapunzel a chilly reception at the reading" and "perhaps even attempt to start an argument".

LOL. It's like the Sharks and the Jets getting word of a brawl at the gym. It's just so weird.

Posting such nonsense in a thread about a reading, where ANY person with class would ONLY give their best wishes, is shockingly manipulative and sleazy. Note too, that she posted this cryptic message after Allison mentioned that she was nervous about the event. Yet Rapunzel couldn't resist adding fuel to the fire by posting such insane drivle on the EVE of the reading. Shameful.

She truly brought the forum to it's lowest point.

THAT'S a moderator?

--

I see what you're saying. But I need to clarify the "Social Club" was Edward's idea and Rapunzel didn't support its creation.

Schadenfrau
July 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I don't believe for a second that anyone here was planning on causing a scene at Front Porch's reading. Anyone perpetuating that myth should be ashamed of themselves.

kz1000ps
July 24th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I was dismayed to see ANOTHER general social sub-forum created, the cutely named "Social Club".

...this forum should be creating new ARCHITECTURE sub-forums. THAT'S why people come here.

^ Right on. I still am having trouble seeing a point to having the "Anything Goes" and "Social Club" sub-forums; IMO they step on eachother's territory.

And this is always worth repeating when dealing with these kinds of issues: sub-forums should be kept to a bare minimum.

Regarding creating a new walking photo tour sub-forum, I think the current "Photography and Travel" already covers things -- that's where I've always put my photo tours (then again my shots have always been of places other than NYC, so that was the only appropriate spot for them). Perhaps it just needs a new title? At the very least, I think we should un-bury the "Photos of New York" sub-forum and give it more exposure on the main forum page, perhaps alongside the "P & T" sub-forum.

stache
July 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I don't understand the point of the social club forum. I posted something in 'anything goes', and it was moved to the social club.

Fabrizio
July 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM
^ Yes, I don't understand the difference either. Anyway, this crew "socializes" in the architecture forums.

Kz: There will be many opinions but my point is: let's keep an eye on how the architecture forums (the subjects that really give this forum worth) can be expanded or fine-tuned.

For me a neighborhood walking tour goes beyond just mere "photography and travel"... perhaps it could be a permanent sub-forum under that umbrella title. I think it would encourage people to do more of them. And imagine how nice it would be to see them listed one right after another. I think it's something that would give the forum further prestige. But I understand your points.

Have you noticed that when doing a google search about certain buildings the only site that often comes up is "The City Review". Can you believe it? After all these years? There's Emporis, Greatgridlock, that Skyscraper forum and of course WiredNewYork... not much else... that's really all that's out there.

WiredNY has a wonderful group of architecture enthusiasts keeping track of developments, photographing them, commenting on them etc. It's really unique.

Where ARE documenting history... let's not forget that.

In the future when folks want to read about what was is being said about the new Post Office development for instance, they will come here to read it. It would be great if construction photos could somehow be saved too.

I would love to see WiredNewYork invite architects here for a dialogue or authours, historians, critics. It might not be feasable, but it's something to think about.

I don't want to pull this thread further off topic, but when I see monitors more interested in cats than in buildings I get a little nervous.

Meow...er, I mean Ciao.

--

ZippyTheChimp
July 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM
And this is always worth repeating when dealing with these kinds of issues: sub-forums should be kept to a bare minimum.Before he left, Edward had suggested that the sub-forums be brought up one level. I'm sure we'll discuss this when he returns.

In particular, I don't think the "boroughs" real estate forum is working too well as a sub-forum.

kz1000ps
July 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM
^ Yeah, I rarely read ANY of the borough developments sub-forums, mostly because I just don't have the time to keep up on stuff other than the big-ticket projects (which of course are mostly on Manhattan), but I'll say that having them sub-forum-ized the way they are sure makes it a hell of a lot easier to ignore them altogether.

infoshare
July 24th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Recently the currently active users has been over the 500 mark. I remember when the daily average was around 25.

That number is a fairly good indication that the forum is doing well: how or why that number is growing so fast I would not even venture to guess.

I will say that all the mods have been great: and that holds true for Rapunzel.

Fabrizio
July 24th, 2007, 07:49 PM
As the site's name turns up more and more on searches and is cited in popular web-sites like Curbed, membership is bound to grow.

My hunch is that the site attracts thanks to the hard work of core members who are out there taking photos of construction sites, digging up documents, researching and posting articles about particular buildings, passing along information about developers and their plans. Etc and etc. and etc.

Just follow the thread of the NewYork times building from it's first announcement through to today: you'll find a trove of info and culture.

So no wonder membership is growing, and the members here want to see the forum continue to grow.... but continue to grow for the right reasons.

--

macreator
July 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
In particular, I don't think the "boroughs" real estate forum is working too well as a sub-forum.

I wholeheartedly support bringing the boroughs real estate rooms up a level to make them more conspicuous. I myself didn't realize they existed for a little while.

infoshare
July 24th, 2007, 09:48 PM
My hunch is that the site attracts thanks to the hard work of core members who are out there taking photos of construction sites, digging up documents, researching and posting articles about particular buildings, passing along information about developers and their plans. Etc and etc. and etc.

Just follow the thread of the NewYork times building from it's first announcement through to today: you'll find a trove of info and culture.

--

Well said. You have described exactly why I read WNY: and yes the New York times building is one of the all-time-best threads. That being said, I also think Rapunzel is one of the all-time-best moderators here at Wired New York. I just hope we do not end up "chasing her away".

Fabrizio
July 25th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Glad you agree ... the NYTimes thread is a great thread. As is this one. Here you can see how those members who made that thread great feel about this subject.

Merry
July 25th, 2007, 07:01 AM
...At the very least, I think we should un-bury the "Photos of New York" sub-forum and give it more exposure on the main forum page...

I agree. Although it was made a sub-forum some time ago, I still miss seeing it at the same level as the other main City Guide forums, which is where it deserves to be considering its wonderful contributors and content.

Merry
July 25th, 2007, 07:11 AM
...My hunch is that the site attracts thanks to the hard work of core members who are out there taking photos of construction sites, digging up documents, researching and posting articles about particular buildings, passing along information about developers and their plans. Etc and etc. and etc....

As soon as I saw the story on the news about the steam pipe explosion, I wanted to know the exact location (not reported here) and what the steam was used for. I came here and, sure enough, I found everything I needed to know and more. It was really nice to be informed and educated with such ease. Thank you.

Fabrizio
July 25th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Yes... any site can report what happened and the news organization web-sites are quicker ...but on Wiredny, you'll get the research that shows the how and why: note Lofter's posts about the "Welding and Inspection Steam Operations Robot (WISOR)" with a direct link to Honeybee Robotics and the film W.I.S.O.R. The Robo-Welder (2000).

Who would ever know about this stuff?

Note too his post: "STEAM a brief history of Con Edison" along with photos. This kind of stuff goes well beyond standard news articles that the general public can find anywhere.

I can understand why someone as dedicated to this site as he is... is so concerned about it.

NYatKNIGHT
July 25th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Recently the currently active users has been over the 500 mark. I remember when the daily average was around 25.

That number is a fairly good indication that the forum is doing well: how or why that number is growing so fast I would not even venture to guess.My guess is that even though the number of members who are active across the forums has steadily grown, the Real Estate section has exploded with members from individual buildings. There was also a big increase after the Questions and Answers forum was added.

infoshare
July 25th, 2007, 06:04 PM
My guess is that even though the number of members who are active across the forums has steadily grown, the Real Estate section has exploded with members from individual buildings. There was also a big increase after the Questions and Answers forum was added.

And let's not forget Metcalfs Law (http://www-ec.njit.edu/~robertso/infosci/metcalf.html). :D

Or, better yet: regarding exponentials of an exponential - "Reeds Law". (http://www.hyperorg.com/backissues/joho-jan19-01.html#reed)

Marc Andreesen, one of the founders of the web, said:
A network in general behaves in such a way that the more nodes that are added to it, the whole thing gets more valuable for everyone on it because all of a sudden there's all this new stuff that wasn't there before. You saw it with the phone system. The more phones that are on the network, the more valuable it is to everyone because then you can call these people. Federal Express, in order to grow their business, would add a node in Topeka and business in New York would spike. You see it on the Internet all the time. Every new node, every new server, every new user expands the possibilities for everyone else who's already there.

Cheers

BrooklynRider
July 26th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I voted. I agree with Farizio's articulate and very succinct summary of the problem here. I made my feelings known in Forum Issues some time ago. The conversational level of the forum has been compromised. Some of the most interesting discussions and enlightenment has come in the form of topic tangents. Inevitably, a forum member or moderator jumps in and pushes the thread back to the topic, but the tangents and passonate arguments therein were where the essence of our individual personalities really came to the fore. In some ways it was the heart of the forum: Passion.

Rapunzel posts when should should PM, has made a broad and unaccountable accusation against the community here, treats the community here as unruly children, and has a well-documented legacy here of vying for personal attention. There seem to be as many photographs of her as there are of the NY Times Tower, except that hers are all over the place.

I'm just going to refer back to the death amd remembrance of TLOZ and remind everyone how this forum responded, the level of financial support and participation we had. Anyone who was here at that time knows the stuff that this community is made of. Differences were put aside adversaries became admirers and the whole forum took on a mood and purpose. I think the current situation is having the exact opposite effect.

Of the people expressing opinions, there are a majority of people who object to Rapunzel's style AND the substance. I'll acknowledge that there is a minority who support or have no opion on her moderating. The problem is that she has allowed her indiscretions to become a CONTINUED issue here. We now have numerous threads that were started with topics that related to her moderating or threads that became dominated by discussions about her. This goes to the point of my argument.

We had one thread about TLOZ when he passed away and it soon became ten threads, and then a whole sub-forum, as the forum responded and more and more people were drawn together and into the discussion. Those threads came to a logical and rather cathartic conclusion within three months with the execution of the WNY project. Now, we have these growing threads and discussions about Rapunzel expanding. Time is marching past us and there remains no conclusion. The community has voiced it's opinion and, although everyone remains welcoming to Rapunzel as a forum member, it seems the prevalent opinion is that she is divisive as a Moderator.

Can we please draw this issue to a conclusion? I know I haven't been visiting WNY as often in direct response to this issue.

I apologize for the long post, but thank you all for hearing me.

Ninjahedge
July 26th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Welcome back BR.

I think the key here is just as it always was. Moderation IN moderation.

I do not consider her a bad person, but a very strong personality. If she chooses to make that personality dominant, it will grate on many, but if she tries to remain neutral, and more importantly SUCCEEDS ;), I have no problem.

I think the key here may be to try to make it so that major changes to the forums structure or postings is done at the behest of those that read them and contribute to them.

If a bunch of us start talking about some tangent on one of the threads, either one of us will request a new thread with copied posts, OR one of the moderators can try to get us back on track w/o resorting to a "This is different, we will transplant it now" kind of action.

I know Zip has done this in the past, trying to get the forum on topic and suggesting a tangent thread be started, and that usually gets the participants to either get back OT or request the new thread.

Just some thoughts.

Merry
July 27th, 2007, 07:23 AM
...Rapunzel posts when should should PM, has made a broad and unaccountable accusation against the community here, treats the community here as unruly children, and has a well-documented legacy here of vying for personal attention. There seem to be as many photographs of her as there are of the NY Times Tower, except that hers are all over the place...

I'm glad somebody said it. Thank you again for more wise and articulate observations, BR. Case in point IMO, Rapunzel's response to my thank you post in this thread about the steam pipe explosion thread. Firstly, this thread may ostensibly be about Rapunzel (or, at least, her moderating style) but surely not a showcase for other threads started by her. If I thought it was appropriate/necessary, I would have included a link to the steam pipe thread all by myself. Secondly, why thank me? My comments were directed at all contributors, no one in particular (as already acknowledged, though, you are wonderful, Lofter1).

While I'm at it, for the record, I objected to my thread about the Centurion being renamed and moved (whoever did it). If I'd been presented with a valid argument to do so, I would have been receptive, but I wasn't asked. Respect, please.

stache
July 27th, 2007, 08:11 AM
You're not helping yourself, you just sound petty.

Fabrizio
July 27th, 2007, 08:27 AM
His reputation here precedes him: sweet, humble and an avid contributer of construction photos and walking tours. He's also young and not a moderator. A class act... Krulltime, post away.

BrooklynRider
July 27th, 2007, 01:44 PM
If you object to the number of photos I posted of myself, then logic says that you must be far more displeased with Krulltime's posting twice as many photos of himself.

The issue is not Krulltime and the issue is not your photos. The issue is that YOU are an issue. It is not my conclusion nor anyone else's individual conclusion, but rather a conclusion that can logically be made by looking at the participation in this thread by long-term members as well as the other threads with similar topics or tangents. Please recognize that many of us have been here for many years. The forum members here in this thread are not fairweather members, but dedicated to this site as a gathering place to trade information, opinions, and commentary. There is a genuine respect for each other's opinion.

Many of us have met Krulltime and he is very active in providing core content to this site. As a forum member, I believe he is unassailable. You see, many of us know him and have interacted with him. Pulling him into this topic is yet another example of why I believe you are not yet ready to be a moderator at WNY. Please understand that I and many others think you have great talent. I just don't think you have gained an appreciation of this community and the tradition of the forum communication and expectations. I am sure you are great at other venues needing more structured moderation.

I'll also add that I'm a gay man with fine taste. Therefore, I'll never have a problem with a photo of Krulltime. :)

Jasonik
July 27th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Can I vote 'no' again?

NoyokA
July 27th, 2007, 02:13 PM
If you object to the number of photos I posted of myself, then logic says that you must be far more displeased with Krulltime's posting twice as many photos of himself.

Why was krulltimes name even mentioned? Why bring him into this mess?

Ninjahedge
July 27th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Maybe she did not like the movie....

http://www.automatpictures.com/images/film_stills/krull.jpg

ZippyTheChimp
July 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Can I vote 'no' again?You're ruining the poll. It's supposed to be anonymous.

Ninjahedge
July 27th, 2007, 04:07 PM
You're ruining the poll. It's supposed to be anonymous.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/8/82/Eye-in-the-sky085.jpg

That's funny, I thought I recognised that one.....

Fabrizio
July 27th, 2007, 04:13 PM
^ attractive, classy pole. No objections here.

stache
July 27th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I made the poll anonymous because I thought people would feel more comfortable casting a vote this way. I am under the impression that Edward can tell who has multiple handles on this board. I haven't seen a lot of sock puppet action here. I'll freeze this poll or whatever he wants to do when he gets back into town.

BrooklynRider
July 28th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Here's a rather unanonymous Pole.

Front_Porch
July 28th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I have already PM'd Rapunzel with this, so she's not going to be surprised by it, but here's my metaphor:

she is wearing a figure-skating outfit under her judge's robes, and the mismatch isn't flying.

I think she can follow the community pressure to put a suit on under those robes -- in other words, to dial down the flamboyance -- and still be a valuable moderator.

Or she can say, "hey, I love the sequins," and go back to being a strongly opinionated member who posts with flair. And I think that she'd be valuable doing that, too.

But right now, I think something needs to change.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

Fabrizio
July 28th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I agree.

http://stories.mnhs.org/mgg/resources/artifacts/img_view/costume.jpg

BrooklynRider
July 29th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I like Ali. Can we draft her to be a mod?

I do like having a woman, but it should be one with that diplomatic touch.

Schadenfrau is another long-term female member who would be great as a moderator!

Fabrizio
July 29th, 2007, 05:30 AM
^ agreed. And while we're praising our female members, hats off to Merry and Zelina too.

stache
July 29th, 2007, 06:11 AM
I vote for Ali to be Queen of the Universe (if I can wear the crown on weekends lol).

Merry
July 29th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I'm not being facetious when I say that Ali's metaphor is brilliant and cuts right to the heart of the matter:

Most of the core website members do not want a moderator who is always expressing her opinions very strongly -- with flair and "sequins", no less. They want a moderator with a 'business suit' approach.

Ali is correct in ascertaining that I'm capable of changing my approach -- that is, wearing a 'business suit' all the time. I know exactly which of my own posts should be deleted and/or amended for the business suit look. In addition, I would need to remove my candid, frumpy photos in favor of ones where I'm well put-together, dressed with style. Most importantly, I would need to have a 'minimalist' moderating style, using the utmost tact and discretion whenever any change of any kind needed to be made.

The business suit approach is a necessary facade for my career, my businesses, my real estate/stock market investing. It's "speak softly and carry a big stick." But that's what it is -- a facade. The real me is super-casual; super-friendly; unabashedly lively, perky, cheerful, optimistic. My life consists of a rally for change and improvement; I express opinions with flair and a wacky sense of humor.

If I'm forced to choose between using the business suit approach and staying on as moderator, or being the real me and giving up my position as moderator, I would do the latter. The big question becomes: will I be forced to take the business suit approach?

I have promised Edward that I will do minimalist moderation until he returns. I'll leave it in his hands to determine my future as a site moderator.

Please forgive me, Rapunzel, but here's some honesty and, perhaps, strong opinion. You're missing the point, yet again. I think you're mixing up moderating and just being a member. By all means post strong opinions, in whatever style you like, just like everyone else. I really enjoy your non-mod contributions to this forum. Informative, amusing, opinionated, etc. But, IMO that's not what this is all about. This is about the forum, not you. What you look like in the photos you've posted is not the issue. There's nothing wrong with the way you look. Leave them alone...and your posts. That's history.

The future. Tact and discretion. Yes. That's good. And moderation in moderation. That's not really business-like as such, just common courtesy and respect. But please, please, keep everything else about you the way it is. No one is asking you to change the way you are (don't you dare).

Merry
July 29th, 2007, 07:35 AM
^ agreed. And while we're praising our female members, hats off to Merry and Zelina too.

Lovely sentiment, Fab, thank you. But I'm not remotely in the same league as the others.

Fabrizio
July 29th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Rapunzel: sorry, but I just don't think you get it.

You write: "Most of the core website members do not want a moderator who is always expressing her opinions very strongly -- with flair and "sequins", no less. They want a moderator with a 'business suit' approach."

Just WHO are you speaking for? There has not been a peep out of anyone here about you expressing your "opinions" about the subjects at hand. Show us where.

Other moderators like Zippy, Stern, Kris all have strong opinions and have even tangled with forum members because of it. No one here is afraid of strong opinions. So?

And if your idea of the 'business suit' approach means "speak softly and carry a big stick." ... again you just don't get it. It's just the wrong metaphor... and it shows where you're coming from.

And aren't the other moderators here: "super-casual; super-friendly; unabashedly lively, perky*, cheerful, optimistic." ? Don't they also express their feelings, "with flair and a wacky sense of humor" ?

* ( Ok. maybe none of them are... uh.... "perky".)

But they ARE respectful, they do listen, they try to understand others, they don't shift blame and wiggle and squirm when called on something and they don't lie.

Hon, you told a tale about forum members going to a reading to start a rumble. You posted it with no back up, no evidence. If it was something that you prefered not to elaborate on, then it should have been handled privately with PMs among the moderators. But no... you posted it and left. IMHO, for that kind of behavior alone, you should have been kicked off the forum for a while.

NEXT: Lofter and Stache ( long time senior members) make a few legit observations of your monitoring style and YOUR comeback? :

"Lofter, if you continue to be displeased with my moderating decisions, then become a moderator. Likewise, Stache: apply to be a moderator."

That's just down-right rude. They're also the wrong forum members to alienate in such a way. Do you really think they'd just sit there and take that stuff? It's as if you TRY to pick fights.

THEN: when you moved all of "TV actresses" stuff you stated: "to newcomers to this thread: "The people who are complaining believe that the 17 posts on TV actresses should stay on the Skyscrapers thread.
I know that you were expecting more, but that's about all there is on the subject. :)"

Note your approach: "The people who are complaining"

The "PEOPLE"?? ... again, as if the members here are your "subjects".

And note your taunt: "I know that you were expecting more, but that's about all there is on the subject.:) "

Again the "people" are dismissed with the wave of a hand a smiley face. Are you really suprised that you alienated the long time members here?

I eliminated my posts from that thread... as did Lofter and Stache but you REPOSTED mine in quote format so I could not remove them again. Simple spite on your part.

You drag Krulltime, an esteemed member into a discussion that has nothing to do with him instead of taking care of your own business.

Look, I could go on and on and on ...with plenty more examples of your rude, dimissive way. But I really don't have the time right now. But believe me, if you think that somehow the forum members here have a problem with "super-casual; super-friendly; unabashedly lively, perky, cheerful, optimistic." and bah... blah....blah... and what ever other wonderful qualities you deem yourself to have ..... you got it all wrong.

Nope, ya just don't get it.

--

stache
July 29th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Sorry, I don't mean to drag this on and on and there are many things I have not commented on. IMO the only 'big stick' here ought to be carried by Edward, which he uses to ban people.

ZippyTheChimp
July 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM
* ( Ok. maybe none of them are... uh.... "perky".)Glad you cleared that up.

Punzie
July 29th, 2007, 06:32 PM
IMO the only 'big stick' here ought to be carried by Edward, which he uses to ban people.
For clarification purposes: Last year all of the moderators were given 'big stick' (ie. 'permanent banning') authorization to be used for blatant spam.

BrooklynRider
July 29th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I suggest that Rapunzel's resignation as moderator be asked for and accepted immediately. Never has a single member, let alone moderator, been so blatantly ignorant and obnoxiously defiant. If I were Rapunzel, I would certainly cling to anything that Ali might toss her. Ali is a well-respected forum member whom has earned the RESPECT and TRUST of the community. However, at WNY, there is no guilt nor acclaim by virtue of association.

Rapunzel YOU DO NOT GET IT. The forum wants moderators who help, improve, and facilitate needs. You are NOT the person nor the personality to do this job. You certainly have technical talent, but your approach, logic, and actions are completely vacuous.

I do not think you have any appreciation for the kindness and diplomacy that has been shown in the NUMEROUS threads spurned that complain about your style, substance, and actions - which now almost makes me embarrassed for you, because you are so firmly entrenched in a world that can't decipher the most obvious things.

I have never criticized a moderator in public, although I have argued with some privately. I am making these statements, not as a matter of defiance to the rules here, but rather to make absolutely clear that I think you are an absolute cancer in this forum as a moderator.

I think your moderator privileges should be immediately revoked. If someone wants to second this suggestion, go ahead. If you want to refer to it either way, in PM'ing Edward. Please do.

At this point, I'd rather risk being banned myself, than risk you destroying single-handedly a forum and community that was built through a cooperative, trust and dialogue.

A leopard can't change its spots.

Jasonik
July 29th, 2007, 07:27 PM
http://www.cddc.vt.edu/host/atomic/images/smyth02b.gif

NoyokA
July 29th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'm not being facetious when I say that Ali's metaphor is brilliant and cuts right to the heart of the matter:

Most of the core website members do not want a moderator who is always expressing her opinions very strongly -- with flair and "sequins", no less. They want a moderator with a 'business suit' approach.

Ali is correct in ascertaining that I'm capable of changing my approach -- that is, wearing a 'business suit' all the time. I know exactly which of my own posts should be deleted and/or amended for the business suit look. In addition, I would need to remove my candid, frumpy photos in favor of ones where I'm well put-together, dressed with style. Most importantly, I would need to have a 'minimalist' moderating style, using the utmost tact and discretion whenever any change of any kind needed to be made.

The business suit approach is a necessary facade for my career, my businesses, my real estate/stock market investing. It's "speak softly and carry a big stick." But that's what it is -- a facade. The real me is super-casual; super-friendly; unabashedly lively, perky, cheerful, optimistic. My life consists of a rally for change and improvement; I express opinions with flair and a wacky sense of humor.

If I'm forced to choose between using the business suit approach and staying on as moderator, or being the real me and giving up my position as moderator, I would do the latter. The big question becomes: will I be forced to take the business suit approach?

I have promised Edward that I will do minimalist moderation until he returns. I'll leave it in his hands to determine my future as a site moderator.

Reading this thread and I’m just an observer here, I don’t think your sometimes inane personality is the problem that members have with you, changing all your photos in “pics of us” to a picture of you in a business suit will not change the issue at hand. It will not change opinions of you and would just further go to show that either you don’t understand the issue at hand or that you are not listening to them and that forum members thoughts and opinions are for naught. If the photos were the issue than my photos in “pics of us” all taken in a state of insobriety showing a kid who likes to have a good time, would lower their opinions of me and be an issue, no? Your personality was only mentioned as perhaps an underlying cause for all the problems, not the problem itself, as for the problems instead of changing the topic or putting on “facades” the only way to resolve these issues is to answer them straight on. I’m not going to restate the complaints as I don’t want people to think that the complaints are my own, but I do strongly recommend that you answer peoples questions straight on, I feel it’s the only way that all these issues can be resolved.

Front_Porch
July 29th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I like Ali. Can we draft her to be a mod?

Thanks for the compliment BR, but no thanks! I am thrilled with how warm and welcoming this forum has been to me (despite my early ignorance of floor plates) but I just think my POV as a salesperson is too slanted.

In other words, I'm not a disinterested party.

Thrilled to be named in the company of Schade and Merry and Zerlina though.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

kz1000ps
July 30th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Oh, thank you Zippy and Jasonik for your latest posts - I laughed out loud at both of them, and probably much louder than I normally would have, what with all the tension surrounding 'em. Good stuff!

And about the issue at hand: I'm mostly convinced - but not entirely - that Repunzel should resign as moderator. Rap, you have great character (and that is NOT at issue here), but you have a strong personality that doesn't translate well to moderating -- or at least not the kind of moderating the veteran forumers are used to. I've been coming to this site daily for four years now (I lurked for a solid year before signing up), and regardless of whether that makes me a vet or not, I can say with complete honesty that the change I've seen come about in the last three months here has been dramatic, and the drama playing out in this thread is a testament to that.

It's not about soul-sucking business suits versus party hats. It might simply be that you being a moderator on this board is not a match made in heaven. Rather, I think Jasonik has it right -- unhealthy chemical reactions are occuring when you're put in the mod mix. (lame analogy, I know)

ablarc
July 30th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Amen.

Merry
July 30th, 2007, 07:41 AM
For clarification purposes: Last year all of the moderators were given 'big stick' (ie. 'permanent banning') authorization to be used for blatant spam.

Methinks a classic case of denial and just not wanting to let go. Do the honourable thing, Rap, and bring this to a long overdue close.

Ninjahedge
July 30th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I think she has had to face similar situations in other aspects of her life (personal or professional) and it makes it harder to deal with without evoking some very strong feelings.

She is trying to validate her moderating style by bringing in aspects of her life and somehow making them indivisible. WYSIWYG and "dammit I ain't changin for no-one!!!!".

This is not a civil rights debate, and noone here is challanging your right to post your opinion on things Rap.

They are asking you to just realize that you are a moderator, not a rennovator, not a judge jury executioner. We do not give a hoot about what goes on in that secret moderators forum that you keep bringing up. We really don't! And continuing to bring it up will only alienate us further. It implies ignorance and lower caste status of all who disagree with you and does not make for good discussion at all.

Oddly enough, the nuclear fission example sited works the best. You are an intercedent, brought here to keep things reacting at a decent, controlled pace. Not to turn Uranium into Gold. Don't try, it won't work.

Keep your moderation MODERATE (4th time saying that I believe) and seperate from your personal feelings/posts/etc.

Your posts as a forum member are an entirely different matter and should be addressed in a different venue. What people like and don't like about them have little bearing on you as a moderator so long as you can keep the two seperate.

Anyway, I hope you are understanding this. Just try to remember one thing.

This is a BULLETIN BOARD, not your entire life. Let go a little and I think we will all breathe a bit easer....

->;)<-

ZippyTheChimp
July 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Faulty control rods?

BrooklynRider
July 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I think she has had to face similar situations in other aspects of her life (personal or professional) and it makes it harder to deal with without evoking some very strong feelings.

She is trying to validate her moderating style by bringing in aspects of her life and somehow making them indivisible. WYSIWYG and "dammit I ain't changin for no-one!!!!".

I think there is plenty of evidence to support the arguments for resignation without psychology 101.

Ninja, I can appreciate what you are trying to say. I think some of us have become so familiar with one another that we can make reasonable statements about motivations and reactions. However, we really know very little about other aspects of Rapunzel's life. I respectfully suggest we stick with moderating issues.

I also suggest that the opportunity to apply moderation to moderating has passed. The claims that forum members here would "attack her" is enough to have moderating rights revoked. We don't need a person with a "me vs. them" attitude working behind the scenes.

Fabrizio
July 30th, 2007, 03:12 PM
"We don't need a person with a "me vs. them" attitude working behind the scenes."

^ Brooklynrider sums up pages and pages of post with one sentence. Simple as that.

nycla3
July 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
If I was a moderator, I'd rename this thread "New Energy Sources" and move it to "News and Politics"....sure do seem like a lot of gas.;)

stache
July 31st, 2007, 02:18 AM
Thanks for sharing!

ablarc
July 31st, 2007, 06:56 AM
Faulty control rods?
Meltdown?

Jasonik
July 31st, 2007, 09:04 AM
A fission reaction utilizing a suitable moderator will not reach critical mass.

Ninjahedge
July 31st, 2007, 09:18 AM
A fission reaction utilizing a suitable moderator will not reach critical mass.

One whose moderation exceeds the needed levels shuts down.

BrooklynRider
July 31st, 2007, 11:07 PM
One whose moderation exceeds the needed levels shuts down.

So, is there a scientific solution here? Are you and Jasonik suggesting that the forum go for a nuclear option?

Ninjahedge
August 1st, 2007, 09:31 AM
Well, we already know your reaction! ;)

ZippyTheChimp
August 1st, 2007, 11:20 AM
Maybe I should start a sub-poll on the best graphic in this thread.

My vote:

http://stories.mnhs.org/mgg/resources/artifacts/img_view/costume.jpg

NYatKNIGHT
August 1st, 2007, 11:57 AM
^Hilarious.

ablarc
August 4th, 2007, 12:13 PM
^Hilarious.
Gives new meaning to the term "whiteface."

Fabrizio
August 4th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I really just meant it as a tribute to perkiness.

But as you can see, it attracted twelve "yes!!!" votes.

---

BTW: Shouldn't this this poll be closed by now? The votes are in. Case closed?

ZippyTheChimp
August 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM
No.

The posts are too scintillating.

Fabrizio
August 5th, 2007, 05:59 AM
But the votes are in.

Although there probably are some still sitting on the fence.

stache
August 5th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I'm waiting for Edward to return.

TimmyG
August 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Does anyone know when that will be?

nycla3
August 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM
What is this, second grade? This thread is nothing more then a public venting of hostility towards one of the hall monitors. Then once you've finished ganging up on that person in the cloakroom, you sit down at your desks and wait for the teacher to return so you can tattletale?

Yes, it's all been slightly amusing, but ultimately comes off as childish and immature.

All right then...off to the principals office...all of you...for a lesson in manners and propriety.

ablarc
August 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
^ To see it that way, you have to turn a blind eye to the hall monitor's actions --a big omission.

You could also see it as the Continental Congress operating under the constraints of an ongoing monarchy with Edward as king.

You need to hang around more.

nycla3
August 5th, 2007, 04:48 PM
^ Just because I'm not as prolific a poster doesn't mean I haven't been "hanging around." My observation of the forum predates my entry as a poster by two years. I have other interests other then living on this board, but I do spend enough time here to know the score. I also moderated a global forum for a few years (albeit industry-specific and technology focused) so I am familiar with posting protocol...

...and I would say to you...take a step back...you might be too close to it.

Yes, I noticed a "vibe" right before the poll was commenced, so I wasn't surprised by it's appearance. But the poll only has two choices...better or worse. The only choice is to choose sides? For or against?

It's a public forum, not a matter of life and death...leave that to more pressing issues of the day.

And Rapunzel....yes, we still know what you look like. Thanks for reminding us on an almost daily basis.

Jeez...

ZippyTheChimp
August 5th, 2007, 04:53 PM
It's a public forum, not a matter of life and death...leave that to more pressing issues of the day.It's privately owned, and we've been entrusted to take care of it.

nycla3
August 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Fair enough...I stand corrected.

Though would not this forum be better served by taking care of this business in a more private setting? Or more quickly? Hey look...I found it pretty amusing in a train-wreck sort of way, so I admit I read each posting and snickered...it just seemed to have reached a nadir with postings that were playing out like a schoolroom fight.

So I called it. I've seen worse.

ablarc
August 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM
"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Hey, you got that line from ManhattanKnight, who posted it a couple of hours ago. He must have then deleted it; don't know why.

Oh, and the attribution is to Benjamin Franklin; that tied it to the Continental Congress, where he spoke those words just before signing the Declaration of Independence.

Fabrizio
August 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Nycla3: Oh yeah? And you hold your books like girl.

-----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djA2LsF9TXI

nycla3
August 5th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Nycla3: Oh yeah? And you hold your books like girl.

-----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djA2LsF9TXI

Oooh.

"Sticks and stones..."
"I know you are but what am I..."
"Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah....."

I'll go ask my daughter if she has any others...

BrooklynRider
August 5th, 2007, 11:52 PM
^ Just because I'm not as prolific a poster doesn't mean I haven't been "hanging around."

Time to retract the claws.

"Hanging around" is certainly a choice anyone can make. I assume people who make unsubstantiated claims that they have been hanging around an online forum do so because there is good content and not because they are trying to stay dry from the rain.

Good content comes from ACTIVE forum members - not people hanging around. This is an interactive community and Edward has asked for input from the membership on making this forum better in the past. This thread is in Forum Issues, where it belongs and the topic is relevant.

While it is certainly acceptable for an individual to jump in and comment, I think it is absolutely assinine for any person to come into a thread and rudely go off topic to criticize a conversation that is now at seven pages long. It might be a reasonable comment at page one or two, but seven pages indicates this is deeper than the rather shallow and incredibly blind assessment that it is only "name calling."

Six of the top ten posters at this forum have joined in and the assessment of the situation amongst them is fairly unanimous. Perhaps it seems insignificant to people who are allegedly hanging around. Additionally, I reviewed the thread and fourteen of the top 50 posters at this site have posted, critical of Rapunzel, more than once in this thread.

For the record those 14 people are responsible for 29&#37; of the content here. That is 14 out of 948 Active Members and 14 out of 11,116 members overall. It's great to hear from new members and I think every bit of content helps. In addition, of those fourteen posters: 4 have been active members over 5 years (we began with join dates in 2002); 4 have been active members over 4 years; 2 have been active members for over 3 years; 3 have been active members for over 2 years; 1 has been here over a year.

With 73 posts, a forum member would be contributing .0427%. If we deducted the posts made in this thread criticizing other members, that would drop to 68 posts and.0393%.

This is no exclusive club and we have many new members that have become prolific posters here. However, there is legacy here that has encouraged interesting and free flow of content - without cutting up threads or making bizarre and unsubstantiated claims again the community. The issue is not Rapunzel as a person, but rather the MODERATION. The poll indicates that 68% of members voting think that the new moderator / moderating style has had a negative impact on this site.

So...

I'll go ask my daughter...

You might also want to ask her to review mathematical equations with you, too.

clubBR
August 6th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Maybe people on this forum are misogynistic

Fabrizio
August 6th, 2007, 06:15 AM
You really think it's that? I myself suffer from automatonophobia.

ZippyTheChimp
August 6th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Chaetophobia

BrooklynRider
August 6th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Maybe people on this forum are misogynistic

That's not an opinion. It is an allegation.

Would you care to back up that obnoxious statement with any relevant posts that would show a pattern of misogyny or even a couple of individual examples?

Here's one of your own posts:

Today i went girl hunting in Palisades Park

Did you catch any girls? How often do you hunt girls? What weapons do you carry? Do they put up a struggle or do you bag them easily? How do you decide which girls you are going to hunt? How do you celebrate a successful hunt?

Hunting girls?

Maybe there is a misogynist on this board afterall.

Ninjahedge
August 6th, 2007, 09:53 AM
What is this, second grade? This thread is nothing more then a public venting of hostility towards one of the hall monitors. Then once you've finished ganging up on that person in the cloakroom, you sit down at your desks and wait for the teacher to return so you can tattletale?

Yes, it's all been slightly amusing, but ultimately comes off as childish and immature.

All right then...off to the principals office...all of you...for a lesson in manners and propriety.

Question.

Has she moved or edited any of your posts yet?

The main problem people seem to be having is not only the proliferance of editing, but how it was done. It is very easy to be on someone's side if you agree with their reasons, but once that person does the same to you on something you honestly thought was appropriate, the situation changes....

Again, the only thing that most of us are asking here is a bit of restraint, and a modicum of respect.

Ninjahedge
August 6th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Oh, BR, relax.

I know where you are coming from, and I can't say that I disagree with the general idea you are expressing, but you are getting too caught up in it.

You have made your point, now "lighten up Francis".

As for the other comments and complaints and phobias....

Well, whatever. The point has been expressed, the moderation has become more....moderate and maybe we can get back to some semblance of order before Ed even gets back. I think we are almost there.

Oh and Rap? I think you need to make your face a bit greener.... The photoed you did just does not bring out your eyes.

Fabrizio
August 6th, 2007, 11:08 AM
make that: post-erity

nycla3
August 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM
...the only thing that most of us are asking here is a bit of restraint, and a modicum of respect.

Ironic...that was my point.

I was not taking sides and I have no allegiance to Rapunzel one way or another. I saw someone getting beat up in public (ok...on a private board...) Looks like she can take care of herself, anyway.

Sorry that my percentages are so low, BrooklynRider. I'll work on it. Glad that my first 68 posts made the threshold of "non-critical."

Only 925 or so to go....

Fabrizio
August 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM
*Sigh* you insist. No nycla, you saw NO ONE getting "beat up" in public (and all that implies).

Follow the read. Follow the reasoning and context. Gentle nudging was not working. Straight talk seems to have paid off.

Got it?

nycla3
August 7th, 2007, 07:38 AM
*Sigh* you insist. No nycla, you saw NO ONE getting "beat up" in public (and all that implies).

Follow the read. Follow the reasoning and context. Gentle nudging was not working. Straight talk seems to have paid off.

Got it?

Yeah...I saw it in the first 7 pages of the thread and I told you I thought it was amusing, so stop thinking I was looking on in horror. Who doesn't like a good train wreck? And Rapunzel didn't do herself any favors by her reactions....

I think y'all made your point...again and again and again...thanks for wagging your finger in my face. I did my job and got noticed. And all before my 100th post! Wow!

Now...about William Beaver and his stupid smug vermin face....

Ninjahedge
August 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Yeah...I saw it in the first 7 pages of the thread and I told you I thought it was amusing, so stop thinking I was looking on in horror. Who doesn't like a good train wreck? And Rapunzel didn't do herself any favors by her reactions....

I think y'all made your point...again and again and again...thanks for wagging your finger in my face. I did my job and got noticed. And all before my 100th post! Wow!

Now...about William Beaver and his stupid smug vermin face....

NYCLA, chill.

I am being serious here. You follow the main line of the thread here, not the spurs, you see that most were asking for restraint.

Rap took this more personally than intended, thinking that all were against her, or her FEELINGS on certain things.

That whole feeling thing is where the problems started. When you introduce how you "feel" about a certain subject, logic gets fuzzy and things get personal really fast.

So whatever. Everyone needs to take two steps back, relax, and see if there is still a problem.

I think the message was delivered, understood, and we can move on. Enough already.

ZippyTheChimp
August 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Nycla3 doesn't need to chill.

He's just being mildly sarcastic.

nycla3
August 7th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Nycla3 doesn't need to chill.

He's just being mildly sarcastic.

Bingo. Thanks Zippy. I'm not wound that tight and I'm happy to move on.:)

Ninjahedge
August 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Meh.

ZippyTheChimp
August 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I see people are still voting.

Must be absentee ballots coming in.

Ninjahedge
August 7th, 2007, 04:29 PM
They don't count. ;)

Alonzo-ny
August 7th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Id have voted yes if it was for the forum in general but the title is misleading

BrooklynRider
August 7th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I see people are still voting.

Must be absentee ballots coming in.

Are we connected to a Diebold machine?

Any votes from Florida? Those can change in an instant.

Has Fox News called this vote yet?

clubBR
August 8th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Are you people bored? this thread is ridiculous

Fabrizio
August 8th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Are you bored?

bored: "A hole
or passage made by or as if by use of a drill".

---

ZippyTheChimp
August 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Smuts to you

http://www.heliograph.com/trmgs/trmgs4/smuts.jpg

Jasonik
August 8th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Smuts to you

http://www.thesneeze.com/art/huitlacoche/full_can_branded.jpg (http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000344.php)

Alonzo-ny
August 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Are you bored?

bored: "A hole
or passage made by or as if by use of a drill".

---

Thats not right bored is a verb not noun.

lofter1
August 8th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Thats not right ...

Talking about not right ...

This is definitely wrong :eek: ...

http://www.thesneeze.com/art/huitlacoche/full_can_branded.jpg (http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000344.php)

NewYorkDoc
August 8th, 2007, 10:28 PM
What is that mess?

stache
August 9th, 2007, 01:53 AM
w/b lofter!

pianoman11686
November 22nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but...how did this all end?

Fabrizio
November 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
In a bikini.

ZippyTheChimp
November 23rd, 2007, 10:05 AM
And a crate of Kentucky bourbon.

Ninjahedge
November 26th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Small batch, I hope.....