PDA

View Full Version : British Citizen

talbot
July 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM
hi there, i have decided to move across to america and have a few questions that may already have been answered elsewhere on the forums but the search engine isnt working well for me.

I am interested in moving to New York, and basically, i dont know anything about what im letting myself in for.

Would it be difficult for me to obtain employment?

to live on my own, in a 1 bedroom flat, in a reasonable location, what sort of wage would i need to be earning?

would it be best to secure a job before i arrive or best to look for a job when i get there?

any advice anyone could offer would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

R Talbot.

jersey_guy
July 24th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Obtain employment? Very easy!

Obtain LEGAL, decent-wage employment? Not so easy! You will need a work visa first, which are in short supply (Google for info on H1B and similar visas). Of course I'm assuming you're not a US permanent resident already.

MikeKruger
July 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM
isn't there a special deal with England where British subjects can work without a visa?

or was that just with Ireland?

I think your best bet would be to find a job with the New York office of a Britiosh company. I'm pretty sure in that case you will not be subjected to the H1B requirement. I know that is valid for French citizens.