PDA

View Full Version : Out of Towner looking for work!

Dmain_Event
July 27th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Hello there. I am trying to move to new york city. That has been my dream since I was 13. I finally finished grad school in a city not so far away (pittsburgh-about 450-600 miles). I have applied to like 30+ jobs in the city and have gotten very few replies. Whats the deal, I know I am qualified for these positions, they could at least pretend like they are interested. Anyway, I was thinking of like taking a little vacation there. Only it would not be a vacation but a business trip to try and get a job out there. Would that be a good idea? Maybe a week or so of nothing but calling businesses and droping off my resume and hopefully getting a interview or two? Or should I just give up hope and reside in my boring life for the rest of my existance (NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!). Any out of towners experience the same thing? Any advice at all? Thanks.

Schadenfrau
July 27th, 2007, 02:31 PM
How are you so sure that you're qualified for these positions? Have you had a professional look over your resume?

Dmain_Event
July 27th, 2007, 02:50 PM
A couple of pros ( The Career Services People at my University and a couple of Consulting companies). I guess the big thing is that I don't have a lot of experience. But I am applying to mostly entry level positions. You now must be begginning to see my frustrations.

Schadenfrau
July 27th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Maybe you could try getting a P.O. Box in New York and using that as your address. People aren't going to want to deal with entry-level employees having to transfer to a new city.

antinimby
July 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Experience is a big thing, particularly in NY because of the large number of applicants. Trust me, you are not the only college graduate that's had trouble landing that first job out of school. I must have applied for hundreds of positions when I first graduated before I finally got in. For awhile there, I thought I was unemployable! :D

Anyway, like Schadenfrau suggested, the other part of your problem is your location. With so much against you as far as your credentials already, the last thing you need is the disadvantage of being out-of-town.

Let's look at you from an employer's perspective. You offer little experience and your not even in the area. Why should I even bother with you when I've got a ton of people with similar backgrounds and degrees and they're here already. You see what I mean?

My advice is that you should expand the area in which you are willing to work. That means look for jobs where you live and beyond. Once you get the experience behind you, you can then have your pick of where you want to work. ;)