PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds hit 756.

OmegaNYC
August 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
How do you guys feel about this?? Me, I think the Daily News got it right:

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2007/08/08/alg_frontback08_08.jpg

Radiohead
August 8th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I like the silly Post cover as well

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1115/1057527192_4a9f1425cb_o.jpg

Ninjahedge
August 9th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I don't think it should be official. Let him have the record with an asterisk noting his steroid usage.

ZippyTheChimp
August 9th, 2007, 11:03 AM
"Official"baseball has no right to put an asterisk on this.

No one complained in the 90s, not the commissioner, team owners, the players or the union. They were happy that baseball recovered from the 1994 strike, and big men with even bigger heads were helping increase attendance to record levels. A record stands for 35 years, then two players suddenly beat it by 20%, and no flags go up?

And what about pitchers? How many that pitched to Bonds were juiced? Makes you wonder, at a time of the 100 pitch count wall, why so many pitchers are developing arm injuries.

If you're upset, just hope that Arod stays healthy, and wait about 8 years.

Ninjahedge
August 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Who said that I did not want ALL these juicers called out Zip?

And you should also know that pitchers spiknig it do not necessarily reduce the number of homers. They may in fact increase the percentage of home runs. The faster the ball is pitched, the farther it goes on a solid hit. Especially from a roid monkey.

Anyway, I did not like it when whats-his-face broke the seasonal HR record, and was being closely followed by Sosa.

So whatever. Keep stats and records of every batters record against left handed pitchers in away stadiums during midweak games where the humidity is higher than 70% and the time of game starts after 5pm. (Sad part is, I am probably not that far off from what someone has already done!!!). This is yet another record for a game that holds very little value other than entertainment (unlike the origins of the Olympics and other events, where the sport mimicked some real-life job or duty).

It still annoys me that so much $$ is spent on this, and so much attention is paid to someone who really is not worth it.

Whoops. Maybe I should not have spent so much time talking about it!!! ;)

ZippyTheChimp
August 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Who said that I did not want ALL these juicers called out Zip?I was just explaining why Baseball can't put an asterisk on it. They have to live with it. More disgusting to me than steroids, is Bond's disrespect for the fans. Athletes need big egos to be successful, and the "good guys" temper their egos with a childhood grounded in values.

It's sometimes forgotten that Barry Bonds is the son of Bobby Bonds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Bonds), and had a privileged childhood.

Contrast Bonds to Michael Jordan, who while a Chicago Bull, ironed his own shirts.

Ninjahedge
August 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
MJ had some values, but he was also a classic trash talker.

He just learned how to treat his fans right.

Barry? He only has a few more years before his testes fall off and he has a heart attack anyway, so whatever.

I wonder what his kids are going to be like. Same vein, or polar opposite?

kliq6
August 9th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I can say that its a fake record and tainted as anyone but baseball itself can. They could have banned this stuff years ago, a matter of fact the stuff they accuse him of taking is still allowed in MLB so I dont no what Selig is upset about.

NoyokA
August 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM
a matter of fact the stuff they accuse him of taking is still allowed in MLB

I don't think that's so. The "clear" which Bond's supposednly took is perhaps undetectable, but its not allowed in MLB, itís an anabolic steroid. Even amphetamines are banned from baseball now, basically anything that can give you any sort of an edge is.

Gunslinger
August 9th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Much as I'd love to have an asterix next to the HR record - lets just hope the keep the bum outta the Hall of Fame

At least that will have some effect on Barriod

OmegaNYC
August 15th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Bonds is going to go to the hall. All those MVPs and Gold Gloves. Even with the whole issue of steroids, he might go in on the first ballot.

eddhead
August 15th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I can say that its a fake record and tainted as anyone but baseball itself can. They could have banned this stuff years ago, a matter of fact the stuff they accuse him of taking is still allowed in MLB so I dont no what Selig is upset about.
i agree... but i also think McGuire's record is tainted.

BrooklynRider
August 15th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I only think of one person when I think "Home Run Champion" - Babe Ruth.

NoyokA
August 16th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Babe Ruth might be the best baseball player of all time, but BR why do you discount Hank Aaron?