PDA

View Full Version : What city would you desire to live in, after New York?

ribbentrop
August 8th, 2007, 11:54 PM
We all know New York is tops. But what city after New York is your second choice to live in, based on your interests and lifestyle?

Front_Porch
August 9th, 2007, 10:56 AM
San Diego: Great weather, vibrant ethnic mix, nice vibe.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

OmegaNYC
August 14th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Wow. That's a tough one. I will say:

DC, Chicago, Boston.

cysthead30
August 14th, 2007, 07:07 PM
San Diego: Great weather, vibrant ethnic mix, nice vibe.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

I completely respect your opinion but I dont know how anybody could find San Diego ethnically diverse and vibrant. I will completely agree that it has the best weather of any city in the U.S and possibly the world but the urban life it offers....restaurant diversity, ethnic neighborhoods, nightlife?....blah....and the Gaslamp......please. Oh yeah......I lived in San Diego for 4 years.

Hof
August 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
I'd have to live in Rochester.

It's where I put down my roots,and a place I fled from as soon as I was mortally able.It's not that it was such a bad town or a boring town.It was none of those.Rochester was where I learned about girls,cars,weed,Hemmingway and the Northern Lights.It was a place full of possibilities.

It was affluent,progressive,filled with bright people and a hell of a nice city to grow up in.
I got one of the best educations--kindergarten through Bachelor's Degree--that a kid could want and always had a broad choice of well-paying jobs.It was a pleasant,tree-covered city.Museums,planetariums and Olmstead parks dotted the landcape.
It was a place filled with things to do.
The Rolling Stones made it a tour stop and got kicked out of town for being too rowdy;Nixon campaigned there.
It was small enough so that you were only 2-3 degrees of separation away from almost anyone in town,yet it was recognizably a Big City.The bar and music scenes were extraordinary,the architecture interesting,the neighborhoods walkable.

I left mostly because of a long-festering hometown blues ennui--I got the urge for going in High School and I had to get away--and from the damnable winters,which showed no mercy.Dallas was my first new hometown,mainly because it was more temperate.Later came New York--and the Winter again.

Almost as soon as I left Rochester,I began pining for it.Other cities just couldn't measure up,I found,and I quickly came to recognize just what a privilege I'd experienced,growing up there.

Today,Rochester is a parody of my childhood days.

It's large employers--Kodak,GM,Xerox--have scaled themselves back to Mom-and-Pop operations,the schools crank out dropouts,the crime is terrible,the taxes mind-throttling.The City has lost huge chunks of its' population and looks like a large-scale renewal project,awaiting last-minute demolition funding.Downtown is empty,turned over to packs of feral dogs after dark.
Real estate is the cheapest in the country.Sixty thousand buys a 4-bedroom house,but no one really wants to live in-town anymore,so it has the largest stock of uninhabited homes in the State.

OK,you must be asking.Why would I want to go back to that,when the choices are places like San Diego or DC?

Well,I have never seen a City go into total decline before.
All the places I have ever live in since Rochester--NYC,Big D,Cape Coral,Tampa--have been growing,not declining.They have a strong future and a liveable present.
I have never experienced a place where all the parameters went,in a generation,from the best possible for a city to have then straight down and into gloomy negative numbers.
Even places that are the pits--Detroit,Newark,others--are not sliding into oblivion as fast as Rochester has been doing.

Paraphrasing Bogey--"...of all the Towns in all the World,why did it have to be THIS one?".

I'd want to live there just so I could spend a few years watching everything get worse.I would still keep a place in Florida,in case of Winter.

I like parody,especially ironic parody on a large scale.

kliq6
August 22nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Miami or San Diego in US. Rome as well