PDA

View Full Version : Looking after an elderly person

Eugenious
August 10th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Am I the only one? I have a full time job looking after my 89 yo grandfather. I do it despite my full time job because he's the only grandfather I got and he's in moderate stages of Alzheimer's ,he's also got a weak heart...

does anyone else look after their grandparents or relatives? I don't do it because I want inheritance or anything like that he doesn't have much to leave me, I just do it because he is my family.

I think it's important for close family to look after each other.

ablarc
August 10th, 2007, 09:49 AM
^ 100% agree.

I sympathize; two close relatives succumbed to Alzheimer's.

Bear it with a glad heart and be proud of the good you're doing.

ZippyTheChimp
August 10th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I sort of took care of my grandfather during the last stages of his life, when I spent a lot of time with him.

It wasn't the same as your situation - he was in reasonably good health - but it took some effort for a twenty-something to include a ninety-something in his life.

It's what families do (or should do). Hope you have some help, but whatever the case, you'll feel good about yourself and your relationship with your grandfather after he passes on.

Meerkat
August 13th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I think its a wonderful thing that you are doing - especially considering you have a job. Do you have any other relatives who can help? These days, sadly, older generations are seen as a burden, and shoved into a home when they are too frail to look after themselves. Its a big shame.

Anway you aren't alone, i work as a nurse, and so see many people who look after an elderly relative. What sort of support can you get over in the USA? Here there are agencies which offer support to relatives (carers etc who help out), and sometimes they can go into a home for a couple of weeks respite care.

My Grandmother is 98, and still lives on her own. Luckily she is self caring and even goes into town some days shopping. Unfortunately i live in London and she's 150 miles away in Shrewsbury, so i don't get to see her as often as i'd like, maybe once a month, and i feel guilty because of it. There are a few other relatives up there, but they don't care much about her. I wish she lived a bit closer, but she's been there all her life and its not fair to uproot her now.

Well, you should be proud of what you are doing - its a wonderful thing.