PDA

View Full Version : COPS -- i.e. the Stupid People Show

Bob
August 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
My thesis boils down to this: COPS, filmed on location with the men and women of law enforcement, should really be titled, " The Stupid People Show." Not that the cops are stupid, but the people who are shown getting arrested are truly the dumbest of the dumb. These people are downright stupid! To cite just one example, what idiot would be stupid enough, these days, to engage a gaggle of police in a high speed chase? How many times do these things end in a crash or the fleeing suspect slammed to the ground, followed by 20+ years in the joint? It's simply the most stupid thing on planet Earth to engage the police in a chase...answer: you lose, dope!!

Too bad we can't pay the truly dumb to voluntarily incarcerate themselves.

Ninjahedge
August 14th, 2007, 09:16 AM
The stupid thing is that they do not show the reality of it. They do not show when the cops screw up or the bad guy gets away. It does happen! Not as often as people (anti-establishment) want to believe, but it still happens.

I saw one episode where the cop, on camera, decides to take that final slug at a completely prone suspect. Real classy guy!

The show is too one sided and comes off as a preachy kind of "Be good kids!!!" kind of show. I am not for the glamorization of crime, but I also do not like an unreal depiction of "reality".

OmegaNYC
August 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM
COPS is a good show. I study Criminal Justice, so I know how these cops feel at times chasing the scum of society. Funny thing is, these cops just drive around most of the day hoping that something will go down on camera. Especially, these cops in the south. I mean, how many times have we seen COPS, take place in Florida, Texas, Alabama, etc. Not in the major cities, but in the BOONIES. C'mon, they can do better than that!