PDA

View Full Version : Best tailors in NYC (after weight loss)

Liz
August 27th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Does anybody know of a great tailor in New York City that could not only resize expensive suits, but perhaps shearling and cashmere coats/jackets?

I've lost considerable weight this year (dropped from a size 6 to 0 - new diet and exercise) and it's killing me to give some of these garments away. I've been shopping for days trying to replace my entire wardrobe, but I'm finding that being a size 0 is not all that it's cracked up to be, because finding a good selection of well-fitting clothes is much harder. I've hit every petite department around, from Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Nordstroms...etc. I'm a little shocked at this, actually, with all the tiny women walking around NYC.

Before I have to shell out a small fortune to replace my coats, good suits and favorite cashmere blazers, I thought I'd give the possibility of saving some of them a try.

Has anybody altered clothing over 3 sizes? What about fur? Is it worth it? Not sure what a tailor would do with the shoulders in suits (they are padded), other than rip open the seams and basically reconstruct the jackets. The suits are lined, too. Fur, actually, might be easier, I just don't know who to go to.

Suggestions would be most appreciated. There's got to be a great tailor somewhere on the lower East Side (or somewhere in the 5 boroughs). A little man with measuring tape hanging over his shoulders. Somebody direct me to him, please! Thanks.

Front_Porch
August 27th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Congratulations on the weight loss. What a pity that I am not quite a 6!

A fashion editor once directed me to Mr. Lim at 308 East 71st and I have been quite happy with him. There is a slight language barrier, but in my experience, it can be overcome with patience, and if an alteration would ruin a piece of clothing, he will tell you.

I don't know about fur, though. If you find someone who can work with fur, please repost on this board because I would love to add that to my rolodex.

ali r.
{downtown broker}