PDA

View Full Version : I don't know anything about taxis. Help!!!!

Utopia
August 28th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I'm moving to NY and know nothing about public transportation. I was wondering if any of you experienced people can give me some tips.

How much do you usually tip taxi drivers (and also I guess for how far/long of a trip)?

How much would one expect to pay for a taxi from borough to borough? Or how much have you paid and for how many blocks/miles/time?

ANY info will help me get an idea. I know absolutely nothing.

NoyokA
August 28th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I usually give a two dollar tip regardless of the trip.

When I go borough to borough I try to find a liberty cab, the black towncars, and negotiate $20 for the trip, which will usually be less than using a yellow taxi.

Utopia
August 28th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I usually give a two dollar tip regardless of the trip.

When I go borough to borough I try to find a liberty cab, the black towncars, and negotiate $20 for the trip, which will usually be less than using a yellow taxi.

Thanks for the info.

That is amazingly cheap! I'm a little discouraged because the last time I went to NY a taxi driver took my sister and I out for a joy ride and from La Guardia to Flushing it cost about $50. This idiot taxi driver played dumb the entire time to purposely raise the price (in my opinion). We were obviously out-of-towners and I guess he could tell that. I just don't want this to happen again.

tvbdude
August 28th, 2007, 03:32 AM
what's the deal with the black towncars? so they're taxi's that go form borough to borough or it doesn't matter?

Utopia
August 28th, 2007, 09:48 AM
what's the deal with the black towncars? so they're taxi's that go form borough to borough or it doesn't matter?
Great question! I'd like to know this too.

I move today! I'm overwhelmed by all the packing and I know I'm going to be exhausted by the time I get there.

718Bound
August 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicabs_of_the_United_States#Medallion_taxis_and_ livery_cabs

Front_Porch
August 28th, 2007, 01:04 PM
isn't there already a taxi thread somewhere? and where is milleniumcab when we need him?

ali r.
{downtown broker}

ps: I think Stern's two-dollar rule is pretty good for short rides, but I would tip 15% of a larger bill, more if the cabbie has to handle my luggage.

Schadenfrau
August 29th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Really? I tip $2 for anything $10 and under, and 20% for anything over that.

Beware, Utopia: you're moving to a neighborhood that's quite far away from the subway by New York standards. You'll be dealing with a lot of livery cabs in Belmont.

There's nothing wrong with a livery cab, but you should take a yellow cab a few times to get an idea of pricing.

Utopia
August 29th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Beware, Utopia: you're moving to a neighborhood that's quite far away from the subway by New York standards. You'll be dealing with a lot of livery cabs in Belmont.

There's nothing wrong with a livery cab, but you should take a yellow cab a few times to get an idea of pricing.

Thanks for the info. What's a livery cab?

Also, do taxis usually have change? Let's say for example if I need to break a $100 bill?

Schadenfrau
August 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM
718Bound posted the definition of a livery cab up-thread.

I wouldn't try to break anything larger than a $20 in a cab.

Utopia
August 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM
718Bound posted the definition of a livery cab up-thread.

I wouldn't try to break anything larger than a $20 in a cab.
Oh, thank you! I missed that.

Utopia
August 29th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I took my first taxi ride in the Bronx today. I'm excited to be moved in, but I have so much more to do. Anyway, I was charged $14 for around a 2 mile ride...which was maybe 10-15 minutes. Does this seem about right? I had a ton of heavy boxes heavy boxes too.

Schadenfrau
August 30th, 2007, 12:30 AM
You've got to start counting things in blocks instead of miles- it's much easier to understand.

I don't think that sounds unreasonable, but I do think that the story about cab drivers ripping people off for rides is way overblown.

BrooklynDodger
September 3rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
Where are you moving to in the city?

Get a subway and bus map. They are safer from 4-5am till 8-9pm. Much cheaper, unless you're going out later at night. Then find a taxi.
In the outer boroughs, most bars and restuarants can call a private taxi and its a flat rate, tip not included.

milleniumcab
September 8th, 2007, 03:21 AM
$14 for a two mile trip is way too much...With a yellow cab, it is $.40 for every 4 blocks ( a mile is about 20 blocks ) or a minute of slow or stopped traffic after the initial drop of $2.50.. That would put the fare around $8 for a two mile of yellow trip with 4 - 5 minutes of waiting time...

http://www.nyc.gov/taxi

One more thing, I wouldn't like it much if you handed me a $100 as it would probably clean my change reserve..)) always carry 10s and 20s for cab rides...

Also check this out , there is huge amount of info about NYC taxis in this thread...

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4136

milleniumcab
September 8th, 2007, 03:28 AM
isn't there already a taxi thread somewhere? and where is milleniumcab when we need him?

Too busy dealing with Sparkletron and the likes of him/her in NYC Congestion charge thread...:rolleyes::o:eek::D

milleniumcab
September 8th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the info.

That is amazingly cheap! I'm a little discouraged because the last time I went to NY a taxi driver took my sister and I out for a joy ride and from La Guardia to Flushing it cost about $50. This idiot taxi driver played dumb the entire time to purposely raise the price (in my opinion). We were obviously out-of-towners and I guess he could tell that. I just don't want this to happen again.

It probably won't, most cab drivers are honest but there are a couple of rotten apples in every case...;)