PDA

View Full Version : Wired New York 2.0

Edward
September 6th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Change is good
I think it is time once again to review the state of the union - Wired New York, ask membership for input, discuss ways to improve it. Last time it was done was 2 years ago; since then membership increased from 2,000 to over 11,000. There were also changes in the internet field - emergence of social-networking websites like Digg, del.icio.us, Flickr, MySpace etc, proliferation of podcasting and video-sharing, like YouTube - that are changing the landscape. The range of topics that would be interesting to discuss could be:
Position of WNY and relation to other New York sites, and to social-networking websites, like Flickr, YouTube etc.
WNY membership - New York tourists, residents, real estate buyers
Special forum groups, like Senior Members
Relation between WNY website and WNY forum
Sections and sub-forums - suggestions for new, organization of the old
Promotion of WNY
Communication and getting a feedback from forum membership
Organizing meetings of forum membersBlogs
The first significant development for Wired New York 2.0 would be the introduction of Wired New York Blogs. This feature is available right now, by clicking on Blogs on the forum top menu (second from left). The blogs are tightly integrated into forums; every registered member can easily start their own blog, and comment on other's blogs. The interface is the same as for forums, so learning should be quick. The blogs are not intended to replace the discussions on the forum, but to provide an additional facet to the personal and social aspect of the forums.

Moderators
The blogs would have to be moderated, so I am asking for volunteers (senior members only) to become forum moderators. For details, see thread Moderators Needed (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185041#post185041).

Ninjahedge
September 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
The blog thing would be interesting, and if they could be directly referenced (like an Autocad file, you edit one and they are both visible, and they both change).

I think that the blogs should have either the option to turn comments off, or no comments at all (aside from admin). Make it a place where we can see the person. We can comment, debate, and offer opinion on the forum about things that are raised (provide links to related forum topics).

As for new subforums, what might be good would be some sort of list of the current tree so that all can be seen. That way, redundancies, or over-delegation of scope to any particular subforum could be more easily seen.

The only risk I see is the bridge between online anonymity and social networking. You get a much more connected community when people know each other, but people still want to keep their callsigns private (as many do not speak the same in public as they do here, as well as many posting from work....). This was evidenced by the outstanding turnout at the memorial, but the curious lack of people willing to give both their name AND their alias (guilty).

I am interested to see where this would go, and I would also be interested in volunteering for mod, but I can take things too personally sometimes and I would not want to risk having too much declaratory (is that a word) power. I suggest someone with a much more level-headed attitude.

Maybe BrooklynRider? ;)

Edward
September 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I think that the blogs should have either the option to turn comments off, or no comments at all (aside from admin).

Each blogger has several options regarding the posting of comments, which could be applied to all blog entries, or only to particular posts:
No comments allowed
Comments allowed to any forum member
Comments allowed only to members on blogger's buddy list (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/profile.php?do=editlist)
Comments need to be approved by blogger before being displayed

Ninjahedge
September 7th, 2007, 10:04 AM
That's good.

I think the Blogs should be more of the bloggers realm. Something that represents them. The forums are where you can have more of a difference in opinion....

Thanks for the info Ed!

BrooklynRider
September 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Hell, I'll jump into this conversation. Lord knows I am outspoken and defensive enough about disruption to the forum.

Blogs
I don't mind the idea of blogs, but I think there needs to be clear delineation between editorializing in a blog and posting news for discussion in the forum. I do think blogs might have a consequence of drawing folks away from the forum and possibly creating little echo chambers of like-minded people (as opposed to different opinions being funneled into threads.) If blogs are introduced, I strongly support those comments control tools being employed.

Social Networking
I am with Ninja on this one. I think the site is very social. Perhaps there might be a way to allow more elaborate profiles, which convey more detailed user info if desired. My experience is similar to Ninja's with the memorial project. However, once the trust that the memorial project was real and the donation collection was legit, the membership communicated with me via email without masking who they were. That said, I still prefer an anonymous forum. My arguments for anonymity are the benefits we get from the funneling of info into our site by insiders who can hide behind their anonymity. For example, I work for an architecture firm. I can comment on the projects and proposed projects we are pursuing, but certainly not if I am revealed. Granted my name was disclosed through the memorial project, but you get the gist of it. Perhaps we can reactivate signatures.

WNY Community Feedback
I think this is a great idea and might be the best way to test the waters or develop a profile of the community. I'd be glad to work on it in whatever format you choose. I think there are questions that can be asked to help shape a vision for the site that has buy-in from the community.

Special Forums
At the expense of sounding elitist, I think the stauts of members needs to change. Either the definition of "senior member" needs to change or a new higher level created.My argument for this is the fact that there are people with 5000+ posts, 3000+ posts, 2000+ posts, etc. This is way beyond the current Senior Member zone. I think a good example of why it is needed and the value of it can be drawn from the recent thread over moderating of forum direction. Many newer members simply had no history with the forum to intelligently base their opinion on. Issue like these can be discussed and resolved by, what I refer to as, core membership, i.e. those who are consistent and frequent posters at the site.

Organized Meetings
I think it would be great to have a "Meet-Up" subforum similar to "Events." I would suggest having guidelines. Meetings should be limited to events relative to Skyscrapers / Architecture / New york Development as well as charitable options. I think this forum works because it is focused. I hope we stay that way.

Promotion
The increase in forum membership is really based on the quality of content here and the fact that it is a board that demands maturity in its postings. I think we have and continue to enjoy a stellar reputation because the people that find there way here are people in search of a place like this. Personally, I think the forum should stay away from aggressively promoting itself. Right now, this is like a great restaurant. It's reputation is enough to draw people here.

Comments anyone?

Alonzo-ny
September 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Personally, I think the forum should stay away from aggressively promoting itself. Right now, this is like a great restaurant. It's reputation is enough to draw people here.

Comments anyone?

I strongly agree with this. The rep brings in mostly quality members, the last thing we want is a massive forum of utter nonsense like ssc, with constant 'i like this' 'wow' how tall is it' blah blah blah and the nonsensical rants of morons.

And i also strongly agree on a better definition if senior membership, becoming senior after 200 posts is meaning less as it doesnt require alot of time to do so. and especially when there are people with massive amounts of post 12000+ should recieve a better title, and also the same for people with 1000+ like moi!! but what does this mean as alot of people have custom titles anyway, i mean mine says emperor but i dont rule over the whole forum, unfortunately.

lofter1
September 8th, 2007, 04:50 PM
It seems that upping the ante for senior members could be a good idea. Or creatiing a 3-tiered membership designation with "senior" designation remaining at the 200 post level and then a 3rd tier (as of yet un-named ["mega" ??]) starting @ 1,000 -- and upon reaching that "mega" 3rd tier level certain specific benefits could be accrued. For example, mega posters could be given the ability to post more than the current 10 pictures per post. Or an increase allowed for mega's "Managed Attachments". Or something of that sort.

Being the techno dimwit that I am I'm not clear if those proposals would be possible.

Finally, there doesn't really seem to be any need to have a fourth higher tier.

But I'm open to hearing input.

Hat's off once again to those who make WNY work so well -- and who give me endless minutes of enjoyment.

I'm a better NYer for having spent (too much?) time here at WNY :cool:

lofter1
September 8th, 2007, 04:52 PM
... alot of people have custom titles anyway, i mean mine says emperor ...

The techno dimwit :o would like to know how you managed to give yourself that title ...

infoshare
September 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Change is good

Position of WNY and relation to other New York sites, and to social-networking websites, like Flickr, YouTube etc.
WNY membership - New York tourists, residents, real estate buyers
Special forum groups, like Senior Members
Relation between WNY website and WNY forum
Sections and sub-forums - suggestions for new, organization of the old
Promotion of WNY
Communication and getting a feedback from forum membership
Organizing meetings of forum members

Moderators
The blogs would have to be moderated, so I am asking for volunteers (senior members only) to become forum moderators. For details, see thread Moderators Needed (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185041#post185041).

Special forum groups, like Senior Members - yes, particularly for meetups and various special topics: such as this one.

The blogs would have to be moderated, so I am asking for volunteers (senior members only) to become forum moderators. - I (and perhaps others) would be interested in being a "term limit" moderator; that is, an agreement be a mod for only specified period of time - after which, one would return to being a 'mere civilian'. Also, your proposed idea of having people who only moderate one specific forum category will make the job less demanding/time intensive; with the result being a larger pool of candidates volenteering to be a moderator.

Alonzo-ny
September 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM
The techno dimwit :o would like to know how you managed to give yourself that title ...

I was summoned to a secret location in the city where hooded figures chanted around me and i was reborn as EMPEROR!!

or I edited it in my user CP, i cant rememebr which.

I think over 10,000 should be something of god member.

There is a definite heirarchy on the site, at least in my mind i treat people in 3 tiers of 100 or less, 100-1000 and 1000+ differently and i see people of 1000+ as the real senior members and i interact with them accordingly.

Ninjahedge
September 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Up the ante a bit, but make it so that time may also be a qualifier. So you have over 200 posts and you have been here over a year. THEN you are Senior.

If you have only posted 20 times in a year, not really, and if you have only been here 3 months and posted 500 times (mostly "yeah", "lol" or "Nice pics") then no.

But this is a minor point, as most of us here know the regulars, where they post, and what they bring to the forum (good or bad).

Alonzo-ny
September 10th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Maybe there should be a class where posters can be nominated for services to wny and they then can get special priveledges.

Joelio
October 19th, 2007, 05:29 AM
This all sounds great Ed :)

(Sorry... although I agree, I'm trying to boost my posts up to 800 so I can get a custom avatar ;))

I'm still unclear on what the difference between a blog and a thread is, but I'll see the other thread for that. :cool: