PDA

View Full Version : colleges in nyc

masonyes
September 10th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Im thinking about starting a new life in new york city of course.
and anyways im going to be getting my liberal arts degree this semester and i was wondering what are some good/cheap universites/colleges in the new york area that i could transfer to? How is the reputation of the city schools and I ultimately want to go to new york university for law school, so advice there would be appreciated.
Last but not least, everyone here is talking about rent but nobody is pointing there finger at any websites. Could someone give me a list please?

thanks so much

one last thing what possible jobs could i get with a liberal arts degree or even one in a law-firm?
thanks again

holy moley! lol
i just read about the city university system and man is it outragelsy cheap, 5000 a semester for me, an out of stater. But whats the reputation of the city system and how would it affect my chances of getting accepcted to nyu as opposed to going to a private college in nyc.

Schadenfrau
September 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by a liberal arts degree- did you get your BA? Are you looking at grad schools?

RICKOWENS
September 10th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I don't know of any cheap colleges but here are the colleges I can name off the top of my head:

NYU
Columbia
Pace University
Fordham University
St. John's University
CUNY colleges
Manhattan College
New School/Eugene Lang

masonyes
September 10th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I know of fordham, colubmia, st johns and pace. I'm about to complete my associates(liberal arts) at the end of this semester and I wish to transfer that degree and its credits to a 4 year university so i can major in polotical science/criminal justice and then go to nyu hopefully.
MY question was I'm looking for a college on par with state tution 10,000 max, and I've heard of the nyc university schools and they have really good rankings and overall decent student reviews b-, frome one site anyways. BUt i want to know what are my options for schools in that price range and that have a good reputation/academic quality.

Schadenfrau
September 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM
You might want to try Hunter. I think it's generally easier to transfer credits from one public institution to another than it is to transfer to a private college after two years.

ironmike9110
September 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM
You might want to try Hunter. I think it's generally easier to transfer credits from one public institution to another than it is to transfer to a private college after two years.

so which of the colleges below are public and not private schools? Im pretty much doing the same thing as OP with the liberal arts associates degree and will look to transfer into criminal justice or something afterwards.

I don't know of any cheap colleges but here are the colleges I can name off the top of my head:

NYU
Columbia
Pace University
Fordham University
St. John's University
CUNY colleges
Manhattan College
New School/Eugene Lang

Schadenfrau
September 15th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Give it the old college try- it's quite easy to figure out the public and private schools from that list.

Really, I understand that you guys are young, but I've been really surprised at how lax many people on this forum seem about researching their educations.

Schadenfrau
September 16th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Why couldn't you be a cop anymore?

I do think that you should put more focus on your education and less on what you think you'll be doing years and years into the future, IronMike. It would do you more good to focus on what you can immediately accomplish than things you'll ponder in the long-term.

masonyes
September 17th, 2007, 02:03 AM
very excellent point oh old one. You should ask yourself, is it worth dealing with the hassle of the transferring your classes(at least talk to the school NOW) or just going to the city in six months after saving up and finising your 4 years. And hell what do you want to do, be a cop? THen go to john jay if your looking for the cheap, plus it has a stellar reputation. I'm thinking about being a cop in nypd for a few years while im law school or hopefully working on wallstreet if i major in economics.

I just read that story about living in the city under 50k, i don't have a problem living in a shitty studio, as long as its in decent hood and i don't care about being poor. But is it really all worth it, the first time i laid eyes on her I fell in love lol. But I do wonder sometimes if its worth moving down there, with all of your depressing stories.

Another thing, what kind of job could I get with a liberal arts associate's and most of all, a paralegal job?