PDA

View Full Version : East Harlem

Joey Blaq
September 11th, 2007, 12:17 PM
What is East Harlem like? I'm moving to nyc in December and need a place to live. I don't mind a roommate and really don't want to live in a box. I've been living in a pretty decent sized apt here in Chicago over the last three years. So is it close to subways, buses, etc? How about the nightlife?

As a new comer what other neighborhoods should I be looking into? I have about $1200 a month for rent

NoyokA
September 11th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Parts of East Harlem are the worst in Manhattan. If you want to live in Manhattan, I'd recommend Washington Heights or Inwood with your budget.

Joey Blaq
September 11th, 2007, 01:51 PM
wow, the worse huh. What about Brooklyn. Are there any parts of Brooklyn that hustle and bustle.

Schadenfrau
September 11th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Some parts of Washington Heights are far worse than certain areas of East Harlem. You have to look at things on a block-by-block basis. As such, name the blocks you're looking at, Joey Blaq.

Joey Blaq
September 12th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Not sure the exact blocks. I've just been on craiglist doing some searching

ASchwarz
September 12th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I don't think East Harlem is the worst area in Manhattan. I have a number of friends in E. Harlem, and they have no major problems or complaints.

The sketchy parts are generally the huge subsidized housing complexes. Assuming you will be in market rate housing, your building and immediate surroundings would probably be fine.

The far eastern part of E. Harlem is actually super quiet and safe, even relative to prime Manhattan neighborhoods. This is the old Italian Harlem (First Avenue, Pleasant Avenue)section, which is now being gentrified. Pleasant Avenue is especially quiet and (for E. Harlem standards) gentrified. The western parts of E. Harlem (where E. Harlem meets Central Harlem) have historically been the roughest part, but this is also the location of the most new market rate housing construction, so I would imagine it has the biggest upside.

If you like Mexican food you will be very happy in E. Harlem. There are also a few new yuppie places (sushi, steakhouse and retro diner, to think of a few recent openings) and a number of old-school Puerto Rican and Italian restaurants.

Take a walk around the area and see how you feel. Still gritty and rough around the edges, but it's well located, affordable (for Manhattan) and undergoing significant improvements.

BrooklynRider
September 12th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Is Manhattan the only place you will look? Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey City, and Hoboken might offer you more bang for your buck.

I'd move to any of those places before I'd move to East Harlem.

I live in Brooklyn and I'm closer to Downtown & Midtown Manhattan than anyone living in Washington Heights.

Joey Blaq
September 13th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah I been looking at Brooklyn. Where would you suggest for a newbie? Like you said, close to down and midtown would be nice.

RICKOWENS
September 13th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Brooklyn Heights

Joey Blaq
September 20th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I always thought Brooklyn Heights was very expensive

Schadenfrau
September 20th, 2007, 08:36 PM
It is- pay no mind to RickOwens.

Have you found any apartments that interest you, JoeyBlaq? I have a friend in the neighborhood who rents a gorgeous apartment for about the same price. She's on 120th, between 2nd and 3rd. I think there are quite a few similar apartments on that block.