PDA

View Full Version : Public Schools In NYC

Templeton
September 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM
What are the best public school districts in Manhattan/NYC? And how do the "best" public schools measure up against the privates?

Front_Porch
September 19th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Hoo boy.

The "top" three schools in Manhattan are usually considered to be P.S. 6 on the Upper East Side; P.S. 41 in the West Village; and P.S. 234 in Tribeca.

Those districts are considered to be so desirable that buyers pay a premium to live there -- and then often send their kids to privates!

There are also citywide magnet schools with very strong reputations, such as Stuyvesant and Hunter.

But school performance is very much in the eye of the beholder, and there are a number of schools that have rising reputations.

Also, you may notice your real estate agent may shy away from talking about schools, because it is often considered code for talking about race.

So he or she will probably send you where I would send you, which is to a website called insideschools.org. It's run by a woman named Clara Hemphill, and it's pretty well respected.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

milleniumcab
September 21st, 2007, 10:59 PM
P.S. 158 and P.S. 290 are also good ones on UES.. P.S. 6 segregates the kids as gifted and regular, watch out if they can't make it into the gifted program..

infoshare
September 22nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
P.S. 158 and P.S. 290 are also good ones on UES.. P.S. 6 segregates the kids as gifted and regular, watch out if they can't make it into the gifted program..

Unfortunate choice of words in IMHO: but is this the only pulblic school that segregates "gifted" kids from the "regular" kids. I did not know that such policys were in place for NYC schools: glad to hear that the only option for some kids is not limited to only a 'private' school.

milleniumcab
September 22nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Unfortunate choice of words in IMHO: but is this the only pulblic school that segregates "gifted" kids from the "regular" kids. I did not know that such policys were in place for NYC schools: glad to hear that the only option for some kids is not limited to only a 'private' school.

We had the option of sending our kids to P.S. 6 but chose not to. We don't agree with the segregation policy. That's why they went to P.S. 158 which is a fine school..

Templeton
September 24th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts about PS 41? We are thinking of moving into that school districts and wanted to know if public school is really a good viable option.

Ninjahedge
September 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Problem is, the stereotypes are true.

When you are a "gifted" child, you do get beat on by the Jocks at gym class and the like. It is all part of teh developing pecking order.

I do not believe in total seperation, there should eb a constant connection, but more along the lines of letting kids progress and enter the upper livels IF THEY QUALIFY!!!!

One of the hardest things to do is teach a kid an advanced topic when they really can't see it at all. They get frustrated and depressed, and it takes tame away from the other students that want to learn more.

I am not saying that these students should be forbidden from takingthese classes, but parents have to take some responsibility and both tutor their kids, AND realize when Junior is not going to be the academic Jerry Rice they thought he would be...

You put a kid in up to his ankles and he will never learn to swim.

You put one in up to his neck and he will, if just to get to the other side of the pool and get out!

You drop him in over his head, and some will not make it.

If your kid is not the best, do not look at "CP" physics as bad (because he could not get into "AP"). Just take it a bit slower and let them develop.

Back to OT. Are these schools actually COMPLETELY seperating the different academic levels, or is it lik ethe suburbs, where class selection kind of does it for them?

Front_Porch
September 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I used to live in the P.S. 41 school district, on 12th Street, and although I was single then (and without kids) I felt like most of the parents in my building were very, very happy with 41. My impression is that it is a little artsy, though, so if you are a real "by the book" person it may not be for you.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

Templeton
September 24th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Should I read Diary of a Real Estate Rookie?

Front_Porch
September 24th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Blushing!

Should you buy Diary of a Real Estate Rookie, available at finer bookstores everywhere? Why, of course you should . . .it's the taste sensation that's sweepin' the nation.

Seriously, I've gotten good press from Newsweek, Newsday, Forbes.com, salon.com, etc. . . . the book's thread is here:

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13942

and while it's a memoir, and a fun and funny memoir, there are enough real estate tips and war stories about the NYC market that it's probably worth its cost in education, not just entertainment.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

amazon link here: http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z