PDA

View Full Version : I Love New York T-shirts

undertoes
September 27th, 2007, 01:30 AM
It's so retarded, everyone is now wearing these tourist shirts

MidtownGuy
September 27th, 2007, 12:39 PM
The big style for young Black and Latino New Yorkers is to wear an I (heart) NY t-shirt. They are in a rainbow of colors and are seen being worn everywhere. Interesting how this, formerly the mark of tourists, is currently all the rage with local trend followers.
Just an observation.
Any of you own one of these shirts?

Front_Porch
September 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM
somebody started a different thread on this; you guys should talk:

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15251

MidtownGuy
September 27th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Sorry, I didn't imagine someone would have already posted on this.
I guess we could merge the thread. It's a definite phenomenon though, you see it everywhere you go. Nice to see so much civic pride from locals I guess.

ZippyTheChimp
September 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Merge threads

ZippyTheChimp
September 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I know it's not logical, but I can't get past the connection with Gerald Ford's WIN buttons - cure NY's ills and whip inflation with ad campaigns.

Actually, I LOVE NY was a state slogan. The first imitator I can remember was I LOVE VIRGINIA vacation commercial.

undertoes
September 27th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I also find it funny that they wear these things when 95% of them never stepped out the tri-state area, or the ghetto for that matter

NoyokA
September 27th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Nice to see so much civic pride from locals I guess.

Exactly! Why bring up if someone is black, latino, or "ghetto" into this? :rolleyes:

Radiohead
September 28th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Late 70's hell.......

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/4902/

MidtownGuy
September 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Exactly! Why bring up if someone is black, latino, or "ghetto" into this?

Maybe because that was the point?
What's the problem? I'm latino myself. :cool:
You know, not every mention of race is intended disparagingly. :rolleyes:
Should I refrain from mentioning fashion trends exist among Black and Latino youth, or that they may not always coincide with the styles of other demographics? The styles of urban Blacks and Latinos sometimes predate or precipitate trends taken up by the larger majority. This is not controversial and it is not a racist observation.
Whether they are Black or Latino was brought up because that was the original point being made...that this trend is separate from the perpetual popularity of the shirts among tourists...and that it currently represents a trendy style among a subset of locals.

NoyokA
September 29th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Only I see just as many whites wearing I Heart NY shirts as "blacks and latinos" (myself included), but I guess if your white, you're automatically a tourist, right?

lofter1
September 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Fact is that some stuff just looks silly on lots of white folks :o

Stern excluded :cool:

NoyokA
September 29th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I don't think it looks silly at all, whenever I wear t's I usually wear something that will get a response from other people, its fun.

MidtownGuy
September 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Only I see just as many whites wearing I Heart NY shirts as "blacks and latinos" (myself included), but I guess if your white, you're automatically a tourist, right?

OK Stern, whatever, this wasn't a post to generate controversy, it was a fashion observation about a summer 2007 trend among Black and Latino youth. One, by the way, that I bet you will start to notice if you pay attention over the next few weeks before all the coats come out.

For a few years, it has been a style among urban youth to wear oversized plain white t-shirts. You could say "I see just as many white people wearing plain white oversized t-shirts". Well yeah, maybe you do, but if you look a little closer you might perceive a trend distinct from that (which previously escaped your notice).
YES, there are and always will be white people wearing the NY t-shirt who are or aren't tourists (but you should just admit that tourists are the biggest purchasers of them). But it just isn't the same thing as them suddenly appearing in a rainbow of colors in all the little trendy hip hop shops and being worn in the sense of a fashion trend that you just "gotta have" if you're into that subculture.
You just didn't get what I was saying. It's fine.

I found this in a 10-second google from another blogger who noticed. It's a trend, Stern.
http://sneakersandshoes.wordpress.com/2007/08/17/i-love-ny-most-popular-t-shirt-in-nyc-for-summer-2007/

Ninjahedge
October 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM
I have been noticing a lot of Asian/Caucasian couples in NYC and the area lately....

I don't know if they are wearing the I <3 NY shirts.

I think they are wearing shirts though.

What's up with that?

Does it have anything to do with 9-11?

Or Jaywalking! Wow, two great things that are equally important to the study of Cauc-Asian couples wearing shirts that do not have I<3NY logos.....

Is this some sort of John Lenin protest?

:crosseyed:

Fabrizio
October 1st, 2007, 10:30 AM
There are peoplewho are paid HUGE salaries by very important corporations as "trend watchers".

MidTown's observation is classic "trend watcher" stuff: I notice young black and latino men wearing "I love NewYork T-shirts"

MidTown, the check is in the mail.

Will some one explain to me WHAT on earth is wrong with such an observation?

http://www.trendwatching.com/

---

For the record: the campain was actually copied after the "Virginia is for Lovers" campaign:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_is_for_Lovers

Milton Glaser the man who designed the famous NewYorkMagazine logo and that iconic poster of Bob Dylan designed the "I love NY" logo:

http://www.miltonglaser.com/

This is an example of how the campaign was originally used. Note how simple and absolutely classy:

1977:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_bXV0mbZkw

MidtownGuy
October 2nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Didn't you recently put me on your "ignore" list again? Why can't you just leave me there?

Fabrizio, thanks for the background info, at least someone here understands fashion and how trends sometimes work.

Ninjahedge
October 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
NARF!

RUTABAGA!!!

MidtownGuy
October 2nd, 2007, 01:43 PM
Now that you've changed your original crass response to the incomprehensible one above, I'll just let you know that the rude PM you dropped in my inbox was deleted unread. I'm not interested.

Ninjahedge
October 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
ESCALATOR!!!!!!.

KHAKIS!!!

BrooklynRider
October 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Guys - take it to PMs. Please, back on topic.

Mucho gracias

Front_Porch
October 3rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
spotted today in Midtown:

"Go {heart} your own city."

ali r.
{downtown broker}

BTW, there are people in the PR community who will dispute that "I {heart} New York" is solely a Milton Glaser creation.

Fabrizio
October 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah, the Puerto Rican kids can get really pissed about it.