View Full Version : Mean Streets

September 29th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Just back from a trip to Vegas and New York to celebrate a 'landmark' birthday for my Wife.

On September 23rd (the actual big day), my wife tripped in a very deep pothole and hurt her knee, hands and arm - taking the shine off the day somewhat.

The pothole (in 49th St at 6th Ave) was right at the point where people cross the street and in the dark was difficult to see (and no, she had not been drinking!)

What City Department should I contact to discuss the matter further?

September 29th, 2007, 09:56 AM
So sorry to hear of your wife's injury ...

NYC Department of Transportation (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/pothole.shtml) is the place to go for motorists (see below); I'd guess they cover pedestrians as well.

You could contact Community Board 5 (http://www.cb5.org/) for more info.
Motorists: DOT Pothole Repair http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/includes/site_images/spacers/spacer_60_30.gifhttp://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/includes/site_images/spacers/spacer_30_30.gif http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/includes/site_images/spacers/spacer_499_15.gif
To report a pothole or other street defect (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/potholephotos.shtml), call the New York City Call Center at 311, contact the Department (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/contactdot/assist.shtml) or file complaints online (http://a841-dotvweb01.nyc.gov/PotholeDefect/).

Winter weather results in a proliferation of potholes in New York City, but the Department of Transportation is ready to combat this problem.

Different types of steet defects require different equipment or trained crew to correct. Before reporting a problem, see what street defects look like. (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/potholephotos.shtml)

Other forms on this Web site can be used to report problems caused by street construction (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/permits/hiqaform.shtml) or problems with street lights (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/signs/strlite.shtml), traffic signals (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/signs/traf_sig.shtml), or traffic signs (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/signs/trafsign.shtml) ...

If your vehicle is damaged by a pothole, you can file a claim with the City of New York. Visit the New York City Comptroller's Web site (http://www.comptroller.nyc.gov/) and use the claim form (http://www.comptroller.nyc.gov/bureaus/bla/auto_damage_claim.pdf) (pdf) or call (212) 669-3500.