PDA

View Full Version : what to do in nyc when you're 18

b3006
October 3rd, 2007, 12:04 AM
hey, i just moved to manhattan a coupe of month ago and i really don't know anyone in this city (i'm not from the us) besides apparently it seems to be impossible to go out if you're underaged, but even if i did, i still don't know anyone! lol basically im kinda lost and i really don't know where i can find people around my age just to hang out and meet new people in a city where it seems everyone is at leat 25... i guess it would've been easier if i was going to nyu!

Schadenfrau
October 3rd, 2007, 01:00 AM
Where do you go to school?

I always found that the best way to meet random people was to just walk around, and drop into whatever catches your interest. I'm sure there are a million comedy clubs and all-ages shows to attend, but if you want to meet people, put in some footwork. Pick a neighborhood, go, and be bold. You're more likely to meet like-minded people doing that than you are whiling away the hours in some coffee shop deemed popular with the under-21 crowd.

BrooklynRider
October 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Parks, coffee houses, free concerts, museums.

There are clubs and concert venues that do allow 18 (actually 16 and older) into the facility.

b3006
October 4th, 2007, 11:25 PM
There are clubs and concert venues that do allow 18 (actually 16 and older) into the facility.

Really? can you tell me where? :)

Where do you go to school?

I go to Hunter College

NoyokA
October 5th, 2007, 12:04 AM
id reccommend joing some school clubs.

shocka
October 5th, 2007, 09:57 AM
id reccommend joing some school clubs.

By far the best idea here! Take classes that require group work.

Not sure if you have time, but get a part time job, waiter. bartending; hey maybe they are campus jobs you can get.

Not sure how it is in NYC, but when I am out of town for work for an extended period, I use http://www.meetup.com to meet people in other cities.