PDA

View Full Version : Getting Radio and DJ work in NY?

ed84g
October 3rd, 2007, 06:36 AM
Hi,
im from australia and im just finishing up a degree in international business and marketing however i work as a dj and on air presentor at a popular metro radio station here.

im looking at moving to NY after i finish uni at the end of the year and am looking to set up a job before i move. i would love to pursue radio work which i can suppliment with DJing. im just wondering if anybody has any contacts within the radio industry that can set me off with a good place to start since i have no idea?! ive been on air for 5 years now including 3 of those fronting a popular breakfast show and im professional at production, scheduling, creating ads and many other aspects of running a station. im also not just your typical presentor... im young, i actually have talent, im exciting and i think outside the box (trust me, there are few who are like that in australia!!) so im sure if i can get a chance to be taken seriously i can make something of it its just getting those initial contacts thats hard.

honestly i think gaining any kind of radio employment in ny is a long shot so if i cant get any radio work im looking at using my degree to work in marketing and advertising... whichever way i go i just wanna move!!!

any help anybody can give would be greatly appreciated =)

thans

kyle
October 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Sirius is based out of New York and they have positions open..maybe not exactly what you want, but once you're in, you can work yourself in a position that suits you better.

Go to Sirius.com and at the bottom, there's a careers section. Click on that and search away.

Also, WBLI is looking for a morning show producer. It's in Suffolk Count, LI, but near the city. It's a Top 40 music station, but you never know where it can lead. I found the ad on allaccess.com, a good source for radio jobs.

Creative Producer Gig For LI's Hottest Morning Show
Long Island’s Number One Hit Music Station 106.1 BLI is looking for their new CREATIVE PRODUCER!!

What’s a “creative producer” you ask??? Well we are looking for a go getter who can deal with the pressure of a live show, producing and executing major market on-air bits. We need someone with a winning attitude who’s not afraid to work until the job gets done!

Do you have a great creative mind that can come up with great ides and content appealing to our 18-34 year female audience? Are you a self starter with strong organizational skills? Do you have some production skills? Then we want to talk to you.

We want passionate people live for the show and will do whatever it takes to win. This is primarily an off air role so if you’re looking to be a big radio star this is probably NOT the job for you. Beginners are welcome but please have the skills necessary for the job.

Here are some of the things you’d be responsible for:

Pre-Show Responsibilities:
Printing prep, show rundowns, weather, audio rundowns, prize rundowns, games, letters and anything else necessary for the show
Download all the audio needed for the show that day including TV clips, pre-recorded bits, news, etc.

During Show Responsibilities:
Help screen calls
Handle contest winners including entering info into Promosuite
Coordinate in-studio guests
Work with webmaster to update all morning show information on a daily basis on the website
Intern coordinator for the morning show

Post-Show Responsibilities:
Daily Idea Generator- Be ready in show meetings with demo-friendly ideas and content
Re-cap Morning Show Happenings for other jocks
Work on Best Of’s
Coordinate with Promotions for prizes
Writing/Researching Games
Writing bits for on-air content
Keep Show Calendar

Oh there’s much more so if this hasn’t scared you away yet be brave and send us a resume today!

Please, we need this person right away so if you think this is you, email us NOW at Nancy.cambino@coxradio.com or mail us your stuff to 106.1 BLI, 555 Sunrise Highway West Babylon, NY 11704. Attn: Nancy Cambino

We are an EOE employer and encourage qualified people from all backgrounds to inquire.

Nancy Cambino, BLINANCY, 10/3/2007 3:22:14 PM, Nancy.cambino@coxradio.com
Message #213285

ed84g
October 4th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Awesome, thanks a lot for that, ill def check it out (in fact the page is loading as i type this!!)

:)

emmiecatt
June 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Are you looking for an excellent source for jobs in the radio community? I know that I sure was. Then, I stumbled upon this website:

http://Radiocrossing.com

It's a great source, I found quite a few jobs there that I'm sure I never would have found otherwise. Check it out! It's great