PDA

View Full Version : What to learn a language

Alonzo-ny
October 8th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Hey guys, need some extra brain stimulation so im thinking of learning a language, probably french, any suggestions of where is best for this, i dont trust the google search.

jemstone123
October 8th, 2007, 06:33 PM
ahh use french musik..that learns you..if your really into a band and you love them..like me with Rammstein and german you pick up the lanuage very easy..aye..am a german metaler and i love german metal now..more than my mother lanuange. so i learnt through musik sorta thing..:D
hope that helps
jemx

Alonzo-ny
October 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Been doin that actually it does work, it helps immerse you in the culture! But im thinkin a proper course to learn properly, and get me out the house!

Front_Porch
October 8th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I have had friends speak highly of Alliance Francaise: www.fiaf.org

Alonzo-ny
October 8th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah i saw that one on my google search, i tried bmcc but found their site a bloody nightmare to navigate and couldnt find out prices or anything, fiaf is 545 for a 5.5 week intensive course which im considering, and another place i saw was 600. Im not sure i can enroll at a college as i am not legally a resident yet.

Kilik-2008
October 14th, 2007, 08:52 AM
french difficult, guys!i may help you study russian if you help me study english, and i may tell you many interesting about russian girls)

infoshare
October 14th, 2007, 03:43 PM
french difficult, guys!i may help you study russian if you help me study english

We once had a member from france (comelade) who did not speak much english, but he would post many photos/graphics/links, and as a result had got many responses to his posts.

Try posting some pictures (perhaps from russian websites) and you can practice/learn english with any responses you get.

At this point I get the feelng you are just pulling a prank here: but I may be wrong.

But if not - go visit the Comelade thread for some ideas (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=184265&postcount=5).

cheers

MidtownGuy
October 14th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Alonzo, just curious, what made you settle on French?

I would like to learn as many languages as I can throughout my life. I speak fluent Spanish, and I'm in the process of learning Greek. My next linguistic endeavor will be Arabic.

Alonzo-ny
October 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I have had friends speak highly of Alliance Francaise: www.fiaf.org

I have signed up now for a 5.5 week course! Any chance you could ask your friends a little about the course, like teaching methods, how the teachers were, how friendly and interactive it was? Id really appreciate it.

Alonzo, just curious, what made you settle on French?

I would like to learn as many languages as I can throughout my life. I speak fluent Spanish, and I'm in the process of learning Greek. My next linguistic endeavor will be Arabic.

I feel the same id like to speak a wide range, including french, spanish, japanese, maybe chinese, german, arabic, italian. In fact i wish i could speak every language.

Well i planned to learn spanish before i got here but im looking for a bit of brain stimulation and spanish wouldnt do that for me as i hear it on a daily basis. French is the classy, lingua franca after english language, sexiest language, i also love when french girls talk english so hopefully ill have a young female teacher! I am very interested in french culture plus the UK and france have a very intertwined history and Scotland and france had a long standing alliance at one point. Spanish would be useful but im just not interested in it and im bored of the culture.

Mix106
October 14th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Why dont you guys learn portuguese???

I Love ittt! :D

Alonzo-ny
October 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Lol ill put it on my list!

Mix106
October 15th, 2007, 12:51 AM
There ya go...

http://www.learn4good.com/great_schools/usa_new_york_portuguese_lessons_private_classes.ht m

;)

Kilik-2008
October 15th, 2007, 01:10 AM
We once had a member from france (comelade) who did not speak much english, but he would post many photos/graphics/links, and as a result had got many responses to his posts.

Try posting some pictures (perhaps from russian websites) and you can practice/learn english with any responses you get.

At this point I get the feelng you are just pulling a prank here: but I may be wrong.

But if not - go visit the Comelade thread for some ideas (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=184265&postcount=5).

cheers
hm)if you need picture,graphics,photos, may be russian music, i can help you, but i need The reference, where i can to load this objects!

jemstone123
October 15th, 2007, 04:31 AM
^ i like russian.. i can count to 3 in russian and say "look" in Russian thats it..:o

Kilik-2008
October 15th, 2007, 05:04 AM
^ i like russian.. i can count to 3 in russian and say "look" in Russian thats it..:o

ты знаешь русский язык? You know Russian Speech?

jemstone123
October 15th, 2007, 05:08 AM
ты знаешь русский язык? You know Russian Speech?

no i cannot speak russian..
this i know only.
Раз, два, три!
Посмотри!
Пионеры там идут,
песни Ленину поют. lol - from a song..by a German Band I like ;)

Kilik-2008
October 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM
no i cannot speak russian..
this i know only.
Раз, два, три!
Посмотри!
Пионеры там идут,
песни Ленину поют. lol - from a song..by a German Band I like ;)

Funny))
By the way, What music you like? as for me it is a linkin park, avril lavinge,evanesense

jemstone123
October 15th, 2007, 06:45 PM
RAMMSTEIN...german metal..dance - metal..metal and lol stuff :)

Mix106
October 15th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Too Hardcoreee 4 me... Well, in my humble opinion they suck! =D

Portuguese fado is the best! No bullshit :p

Bye fellas

PS: This is my post number 69 ^^

Kilik-2008
October 16th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Too Hardcoreee 4 me... Well, in my humble opinion they suck! =D

Portuguese fado is the best! No bullshit :p

Bye fellas

PS: This is my post number 69 ^^

Man, we did not ask Your opinion about mysic, as for me, i think-Portuguese fado is suck!!!!sorry, but is really my humble opinion )Remember it! germany music is real music! Many people in my country listen This music! sometimes i listen RAMMSTEIN, the really suck it is Tokio hotel...

Kilik-2008
October 16th, 2007, 02:22 AM

Friend are you listen Lordy, slipknot? I think it is Too normal music, As to danse music i d like dj viper and pakito-do you know this dj?

newyorkrules
October 16th, 2007, 04:24 AM
chinese language is easy to learn, watch CCTV9

Mix106
October 16th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Man, we did not ask Your opinion about mysic, as for me, i think-Portuguese fado is suck!!!!sorry, but is really my humble opinion )Remember it! germany music is real music! Many people in my country listen This music! sometimes i listen RAMMSTEIN, the really suck it is Tokio hotel...

Here they are...

U guys watch this TILL THE END!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wXIJYAr4GU

That rammstein guy is sick...

Kilik-2008
October 16th, 2007, 09:32 AM
chinese language is easy to learn, watch CCTV9

Write a pair of phrases on Chinese

Alonzo-ny
October 19th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I have signed up now for a 5.5 week course! Any chance you could ask your friends a little about the course, like teaching methods, how the teachers were, how friendly and interactive it was? Id really appreciate it.

Front Porch in case you missed this in all the babble! Thanks!

Alonzo-ny
October 20th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I will, i start on the 31st

NewYorkDoc
October 20th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Japanese is fun, I recommend it. I'm studying it right now along with Spanish.

Schadenfrau
October 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Are you learning Spanish for the first time? I've been considering Spanish classes, as I haven't taken language since French and Latin back in the day.

Front_Porch
October 22nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Oh, sorry, I did just find this -- I find I go away for 12 hours and lose threads so often.

The thing I remember my friend loving (and this was years ago, so I've got to dust off the rolodex and find her) was that the pronounciation was so perfect and so musical -- you know those people who speak another language in a midwestern accent? You'll get none of that.

Also, don't forget to work on your idioms -- I remember being in Paris and watching a fuel attendant keel over with laughter -- I thought I asked him to fill the car with gas, but apparently I asked him to fill it with carbonated water.

OOPS:o

ali r.
{downtown broker}

Alonzo-ny
October 22nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
sure would help the environment though!

NewYorkDoc
October 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Schade, were you asking me? If so, yes this is my first time. I thought at first it was easy, but now its getting hard. Gracias Rap!

Alonzo-ny
October 31st, 2007, 10:44 PM
First lesson today, im the only guy in a class of twelve and my teacher is really hot so thumbs up from me!!

Seriously though the teaching is of a very good standard, very relaxed atmosphere, super cool projector/white board/ computer display thing called a smartboard. Overall professional!! Very enjoyable.