PDA

View Full Version : Quoting Rules Reiteration

BrooklynRider
October 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Do not quote an entire post – only relevant part. Remove any links to images in quotes.

Hi Folks-

Quoting rules need to be followed as the quoting of full posts, articles and images is getting out of hand. All posts in a thread are numbered. Responses can be related to photos in a specific post by citing the number. If you are responding to the preceding poster, simply respond. If you are responding to a previous poster, you can simply post, quote the portion of the post you are responding to, or cite the post number in the thread.

Infraction / warnings will be issued for blatant disregard of this rule. We all should continue to maintain and form the contet of this forum in line with the rules that have helped this place thrive.

Thanks-

BR

ZippyTheChimp
October 17th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I've deleted the cavalier responses to make it clear that the moderators are serious about this.

Ignore this directive, and you will pile up infractions that could result in a loss of posting privileges.

stache
October 17th, 2007, 09:57 PM
if you're looking to keep score.

stache
October 26th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I only plan to cite infractions when I come across a thread and someone has done the dastardly deed in the most recent post. The thought of going through every thread makes me dizzy(er)!

NYatKNIGHT
October 26th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Right, no need to comb the entire forum, just be mindful of it. The worst cases I see are the ones quoting the previous post, especially when they contain photos and/or images - it helps no one. I let those slide when they appear on a different page and the discussion revolves around those photos or images from preceding pages. A little self-editing goes a long way.

Ninjahedge
October 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM
The lesson is just don't be lazy.

If you want to reply to someone, and have no direct link to anything they are saying, you do not need to quote at all.

I see no problem with people taking photo #5 out of a lineup and saying "I like this one, etc etc", but copying the original link that has 8-10 shots and saying the same thing is a little wasteful.

That being said, you think there miight be a lazy-mans way of putting a "reply to" button next to the quote button so that people can make a direct reference to a person they are replying to automatically w/o having the post quoted?

So if I tagged stache's post, my reply would look something like:

Reply to stache:

I think what you are saying about XXX is right but blah blah blah....

It is not vital, but people at other sites have liked this, and lamented its passing when it was no longer available.

lofter1
October 26th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I find that the simple triple arrow (^^^) pointing to the post above suffices when responding to the previous poster -- and makes unnecessary the action of quote / insert / delete / save ...

Ninjahedge
October 29th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I ususally read each "^" as one post up, so "^^^" would be, to me, three posts up from the one I am reading (a way to skip the post(s) immidiately preceeding the reply post)

The only thing I am suggesting is a custom button that would grab the ID tag of the person you are clicking on and put their name at the front of the reply with a "response to" or something similar.

Other means have been done, but not everyone does that kind of thing, and it takes some people to learn "^" or "@Rapunzel"....

It is not needed, just suggested.

lofter1
October 29th, 2007, 10:32 AM
hmmm ^

I always intended my "^^^" to equal your "^"

But then I've often been accused of overwriting ...

From henceforth I will use the single "^" to indicate the previous poster :cool:

stache
October 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Yuk yuk!

lofter1
October 29th, 2007, 11:47 AM
So did I ...

But apparently not the right one :o

Front_Porch
October 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Interesting convention guys.

On other boards, a double caret means "stuff I forgot to put in the first time."

As in, to make the sandwich you'll need peanut butter and jelly.

^^sliced bread.

ali r.

Ninjahedge
October 29th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I don't know, I usually just hit that elisive enigmatic "edit" button and either correct the mistake, or put tags around the added bits.

'^^' kind of reminds me of when a Japanese Anime character is laughing.
..u

Alonzo-ny
October 29th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Ninja couldnt you quote the previous or whatever post then delete the quote except from their name to get that effect?

edit: just tried it didnt work.

Matter of fact why is it when you put the img img thing up with nothing inside it essentially dissapears form your post?

stache
October 29th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Seems like there has to be at least one language character in the post for a message to register, like if you try to post a message only using the title box, nothing will show up after you submit the reply.

Alonzo-ny
October 29th, 2007, 11:31 PM
The reason i noticed was that in my 'i took a walk' thread i tried to prep the thread by posting all the img img things while my flickr loaded and i in theory could have saved time but after making all the posts and trying to edit and paste the images nothing was there in turn making the process take longer, grr.

Edward
October 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM
From
http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6707

3. If you are replying to a last post, there is not need to use quotes, since it would be assumed that your post refers to that last post.

4. If you need only to make apparent to which previous poster you are answering, consider the use of expressions of the type “In regards to the post of So-and-so above…” and “As So-and-so so eloquently remarked in his post…” instead of quoting.

Zephyr
April 27th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Or by using the "^" symbol, that seems to be the most popular of all in binding one's response to the previous post.