PDA

View Full Version : Good 24 hr. places to study?

NoyokA
October 24th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I like studying outside my small studio, whether it be a library or a park on a nice day. The only problem I run in to is when they close usually around 6, then I might go to Starbucks which closes at 11. I do my best thinking at night so I would love a place to study thats open very late, are there any good places to study that are open 24 hours, are there 24 hour coffee shops?

Front_Porch
October 24th, 2007, 07:19 PM
The Renaissance Diner on 52nd and 9th is open all night -- nearer you maybe there's Moonstruck East on 3rd ave, which is all night on weekends and 6 am to midnight during the week.

both are diners, a hair more expensive than "coffee shops," but you could nurse some coffee and toast for a while if you tipped for the privilege.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

NewYorkDoc
October 25th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I can't imagine studying in a diner, but if you can Stern props to you.

NoyokA
October 25th, 2007, 11:33 PM
The Renaissance Diner on 52nd and 9th is open all night -- nearer you maybe there's Moonstruck East on 3rd ave, which is all night on weekends and 6 am to midnight during the week.

both are diners, a hair more expensive than "coffee shops," but you could nurse some coffee and toast for a while if you tipped for the privilege.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

Thanks. I never eat at Diners, but I was thinking Diner or Dunkin Donuts, I'll have to give it a try.

Front_Porch
October 26th, 2007, 09:31 AM
well, my New York Sports Club branch is open all night, so I suppose technically for $90 a month you would have the right to come study on the stairmaster at two in the morning . . .

ali r.
{downtown broker}

NewYorkDoc
October 26th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Stern, doesnt your college have a 24 hour study area?

Alonzo-ny
October 26th, 2007, 03:01 PM
There has got to be 24/7 starbucks surely?

ManhattanKnight
October 26th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I used to hop on the 1 Train and cram for exams on the Staten Island Ferry very late at night.

NoyokA
October 27th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Stern, doesnt your college have a 24 hour study area?

No. I've always argued that CUNY's are as good as any private school, but this is one of there shortcomings. CUNY libraries either close at 10 or 11pm. Not all private schools have 24 library's although NYU does. However does a 24 hour library make up for a 40,000 per year tuition?

macreator
October 31st, 2007, 09:01 PM
Perhaps too noisy and way too bright, and too commercial, but the Apple Store is open all night on 5th Avenue. I've gone in there a few times late at night and sat on the bench/seating area, that encircles the elevator and stairway area, in order to organize my notes and things and then check my e-mail.

Obviously not an ideal spot, but I'm trying to think of places.

More as they pop in to my head ;)

macreator
October 31st, 2007, 09:05 PM
Speaking of 24 hour places to provide a nighttime refuge...

http://www.boingboing.net//mtimages/boingboing-logo.gif (http://www.boingboing.net)

Kid lives at 24-hour Starbucks, sleeps upright in chair

POSTED BY MARK FRAUENFELDER, APRIL 1, 2005 4:34 PM

http://www.boingboing.net/images/Picture%202-9.jpgChris DiClerico says: "There's a 20 year old homeless guy names Corey living in NYC who is currently splitting his time between the Starbucks on 40th and Madison and a nearby 24 hour Kinko's. He sits inside of Starbucks all day, every day for the last few weeks with a desktop computer and 15" LCD monitor, Dell laptop without a screen connected to a 15" CRT, all connected to a local open wi-fi network. He plugs into the wall at Starbucks and never even asked for permission. He's probably wearing out his welcome, but they give him leftovers at the end of each night.
"He spends his time online, not on monster.com, but IMing girls in NY and across the country to hook up with, and maybe go live with. He has no source of income (other than the kindness of strangers) and a single client who's laptop he fixes infrequently for $10 or $20. He sleeps for 2 hours at a time upright in his chair. He showers at a local church. He hauls all of his gear around in a shopping cart.

BrooklynRider
November 1st, 2007, 12:21 AM
Sounds rather resouceful. Anybody know if he is happy living this life? I see some upside.