PDA

View Full Version : Seek your thoughts and prayers

fioco
November 2nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
I know that this is a virtual community, and indeed, I have not had the pleasure of meeting any of you in person. I discovered WiredNewYork when I was team leader for a submission to the World Trade Center Memorial Competition. WNY is a remarkable forum that engages, provokes, and stimulates thought and discussion.

Being neither architect nor engineer, I seldom posted. Yet I consider myself a full-fledged member of this forum. Those who post regularly have taken on a presence of familiarity. When facing truly difficult situations, the forum allowed me to pull back, relax, and be engaged by New York and how the built environment (and cultural communities) are impacted by current developments.

This week, the wolf at the door gained entry to the homestead. Indeed, I may not have a homestead next week and instead will join that diverse community that is collectively grouped as homeless.

It will be a new experience for me. Something I never could have fathomed with my advanced degrees, my skills and experience, my persistence and strong work ethic. And yet, even as I write this in a public library, there are people in the area who are working to help me ride this through.

I ask nothing of you. How could I? And yet your avatars and your serious, frivolous, engaging, enraging, insightful, off-topic, and outrageous posts have lightened a heavy load, broke the emotion of a frightening day, and sometimes even prompted me to one of my occasional posts.

And so, keep me in your prayers, no matter the deity you worship (not Satan I hope) or don't worship, refuse to worship, or wonder what is worship? Just the thought and some laughter will be healing to me through the virtual world of Wired New York.

Until I post again. . .
And you will never get rid of me, I remain

fioco

Schadenfrau
November 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
I'm hoping the best for you, Larry. If you need any help figuring things out, please let us know.

lofter1
November 2nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Hoping that some solutions come your way, LC.

Best of thoughts to you ...

L1

BrooklynRider
November 3rd, 2007, 01:11 AM
Fioco-

Check your Private Messages.

BrooklynRider

brianac
November 3rd, 2007, 04:31 AM
Thinking of you from far away and hoping for an upturn in your fortunes.

Good Luck.

Bri.

MidtownGuy
November 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM
fioco, I hope you get through this and land in a place you want to be...this could happen to anyone; I'm praying for you, I hope things work out.

ablarc
November 3rd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Heartfelt sympathy, fioco.

Just keep in mind: this too shall pass.

Btw, I've always found your posts interesting and edifying. Stay with us.

Zerlina
November 4th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Hello Larry, I've never sent an answer to your posts before... but your words are always been impressive to me... I wish you all the best and I hope that you'll realize anything you want. Tonight I'll pray for you too.

fioco
November 4th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your words of support. Life will be unpredictable for now (to say the least) but I look forward to when I can be a more active participant on this forum. Again, thanks.
fioco
(Larry)

P.S. Fabrizio will know more about this. I first came across the Italian word fioco in the world of opera. It identified a hoarse whisper that was barely heard. Then I met Elena from Milan who told me that Italians use it somewhat differently in their colloquial speech. She was familiar with fioco as a term to mean that no matter how dark or stormy, the light could be discerned no matter how dimly. I took the word to heart. For me it had the fully fleshed form of a meaty metaphor for both faith and truth.

Fioco was my guide. No matter how difficult the path, or how impossible it seemed to find my way, I looked for faith and for truth to be my guide. Last evening I took a long walk amidst the blustery wind and misty rain. In the distance I could barely make out the signal from a lighthouse. I laughed because it so hokey as to be from a canceled sitcom before it premieres. However, I allowed myself to enjoy the moment and to remember, hokey or not, it speaks of truth. And that will be my guide.

Fabrizio
November 4th, 2007, 03:55 PM
There are probably more friends and agencies out there to give you a hand than you might be aware. Most important in the meantime: maintain your personal self respect... your health and appearance to the world, remembering as ablarc posted: "this too shall pass".

Merry
November 5th, 2007, 05:22 AM
What a pleasure it is to read your posts, fioco, always eloquent in both thought and expression, but none more so than in this thread.

Your obvious positive outlook and humour shine brightly and will hold you in good stead to get through this challenge.

My thoughts are with you from Oz.

BrooklynRider
November 17th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Dear Rob,

Several times I have logged into WiredNewYork, written a post about what has happened, and each time the computer says I'm not logged in. The data is lost and when I login, the hopeless process just repeats. I suspect the problem is how the computers in the library are able to store cookies. [note from Rob: can anyone offer a definitive reason this might be happening?]

Therefore, could you please communicate the following to the WiredNewYork community?

First, I thank everyone for their kind words, encouragement and support. Unless one is a scout or campfire girl, I don't recommend staying outdoors overnight. But I do have stories. Including Hispanic gentlemen who are just that . . . gentle men of quiet compassion and noble demeanor.

Long story short: I hope to have my own studio apartment tomorrow. Oregon Catholic Press, a former employer, wired money to a religious order on Long Island to take care of my needs. An attorney is available to help me (gratis), and folks have appeared seemingly out of nowhere to assist me. Kindness abounds, which is a soothing salve against the cruelty perpetrated against me last Friday. That was a story I related in length; unfortunately, the library computer was unable to post it to the forum.

It will still be difficult for me to post often, but I will try (esp. if I can find a cooperative computer that accepts forum cookies). This year I can be on the serving end of a Thanksgiving supper line -- and that is a sobering thought. It is uncomfortable to be "other" and I can not feign compassion if I have yet to embrace acceptance. Both heart and mind need to grow.

Peace to all of you,
fioco

Alonzo-ny
November 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Fioco,

Stay positive and have faith, you will learn things about your strength you never thought existed and you WILL get back on your feet, me and Im sure many more around WNY will have you in our thoughts!

Alonzo

brianac
November 18th, 2007, 05:05 AM
I'm happy to hear of the signs of an upturn in your fortunes and I am glad you were able to tough it out.

All good wishes for the future,

Bri.

BrooklynRider
November 18th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Greetings All-

Fortune seems to be smiling on Fioco. He is settling into an apartment on Long Island, having received some strong support from some colleagues. He's living on Long Island albeit it without furniture at this point. If we have any members on Long Island who might have some housewares or furniture pieces to spare, he is able to periodically check his PMs here.

He expresses his gratitude for the warm support of everyone here at WNY. :)

fioco
November 28th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Here's another attempt to post:

Thanks to the Interfaith Chapel and the C.W. Post athletes (mostly football), my furniture will be moved from a warehouse to my new studio apartment. Sleeping on the floor in a warm room with a nearby clean and comfortable bathroom has been a luxury, but nonetheless I anticipate the significant upgrade when my furniture arrives.

More than furniture, some of my past will also arrive -- personal papers, books, archives -- that will make it much easier to move into a future. Because the experience is a temporary one, it has been a learning experience without the dangers of actual homelessness. I can already see how easy it is for things to spiral progressively worse with little control to stop the decline. It's hard to explain but it was frightening to observe.

Since none of my previous ramblings were ever accepted to post, I'll end here. Again, thank you for your support. Aloneness can be a comfort, but to be alone (in the lost sense) is terrible. Virtual community does not mean not real, esp. BrooklynRider.

fioco
aka Larry

MidtownGuy
November 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM
This thread is extremely sobering and heartwarming.
Fioco, I'm glad to hear the news and I hope you will continue to be blessed with an upturn in your situation.

ablarc
November 28th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Overjoyed you made it through to the other side, fioco (always knew you would).

Alonzo-ny
November 28th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Fantastic news!

BrooklynRider
November 28th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Hopefully, some of this holiday's magic will bring you long-term solutions.

It was really quite generous of you to share the experience here. It's posts like yours that create the sense of community.

Warmest wishes!

fioco
November 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Since yesterday's posting was successful, I'll try my luck twice.

Far different from the City, laws regulating rental property in neighboring Nassau is much more a landlord protection act. A lawyer told me it was once even more outrageous with possessions actually piled along the curb. When a person's belongings are seized in an eviction warrant in these compassionate yet conservative days, the tenant can claim those possessions within a 30 day period. All possessions must be taken at that time or relinquished.

Tired of wearing my same clothes for a week, I went to the warehouse several weeks ago and learned of this interestng wrinkle. I wonderered how families deal with this. Unable to pay the rent, must pauper families be stripped of their possessions. I guess if someone has no diginity, they would have little need of much else.

Therefore, imagine my elation when 12 members of the C.W. Post football team "tackled" the offensive operation to regain my possessions. Evidence of people's lives were stacked precariously on pallets, echoing a sickening sense of despair and desperation as mattresses, tables, and boxes were piled hight to the ceiling. To reclaim my possessions, we were forced to carefully shift the weight of neighboring towers of sadness and buttress them with strength and an unspoken prayer for nameless people slowly being robbed of any remaining dignity.

The ball players made it into a game, with good natured teasing, ribbing, and lots of laughter. I'm sure an ancient time has passed since laughter last resounded in that sad and desperate place.

I'll write more. I'm eager to unpack. And I simply must find better words than Thank You. Suggestions kindly accepted.

In peace,
fioco
The C.W. Post football team

BrooklynRider
November 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM
And I simply must find better words than Thank You. Suggestions kindly accepted.

If we consider the joy we each have had in knowing we've helped someone in need, your request was as rewarding to those football players as you felt their actions were to you. Asking for help is not always easy, but it offers other opportunities to step up and make a difference.

The "thank you's" go both ways.:)

ladyliz68
February 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM
There is a saying : No news is good news.... but does anyone have an update on Larry?