PDA

View Full Version : Need charitable/shopping help, please . . .

Front_Porch
November 5th, 2007, 06:44 PM
So a California Realtor who I know slightly (she's the mom of one of my clients), is getting married soon.

This is a second wedding for her, and she is not registered anywhere (I tried the knot/wedding channel/tiffanys/bloomies/saks/neimans/michaelcfina/williams-sonoma).

I really believe she has reached that point in life where she is quite comfortable and does not need another crystal vase.

But she has been very sweet to me in our limited contact, and I would like to send some token as a sign of my joy at her wedding -- but I would like to keep it fairly bland since I don't know her that well.

So I was thinking maybe a donation to Habitat for Humanity in her name, because she's a Realtor ... but any other ideas for an innocuous/unobtrusive wedding gift?

ali r.
{downtown broker}

Schadenfrau
November 5th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I think the Habitat For Humanity idea is a great one, but if you're looking for another, maybe Doctors Without Borders?

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

BrooklynRider
November 5th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I like the donation. I think is is classy AND socially conscious.

You could make a donation to the WTC Memorial in her name.

Plant a tree in Israel?

Make an donation in her name to my favorite charitable organization: FriendsinDeed.org

Adopt a tree or plant at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden in her name.

Adopt and animal at the Bronx Zoo for her.

Go out and have a bottle of champagne with your hubby at the Bubble Lounge and have someone photograph you two with a "Congratualtions Ms. Realtor" sign pinned to your wine soaked blouse.

Oh! Send her your book with a home made "Best Wishes" cover made from crepe paper using wooden ink blocks and carved potato stampers like Martha Stewart would do.

Send her flowers. If she's old and senile, tell her you sent flowers already and tell her how much she enjoyed them.

Monogrammed hankerchiefs.

A cheapie $5 street scarf in a nice Hermes box.

Give her your least favorite pair of earrings, then cry to your husband that you lost your ABSOLUTE FAVORITE earrings - until he hands you the Platinum AmEx and tells you to buy yourself some baubles.

Send her one of Rapunzel's cats.

A surprise postcard from Fabirizio in Italy.

Go to the "pictures of us" thread and send her a nice picture of Krulltime.

A box of Lee Press-On Nails.

A dipsy-do.

Something made of macrame.

A pineapple.

Two pens from Commerce Bank.

A heavy duty toe nail clipper.

A ginsu knife.

A beta fish.

The Drake Collection: Two Twinkies, a Ring Ding, a Devil Dog, and sparkling - silver wrapped Yodels.

A dirty magazine and hand sanitizer.

Oh phoeey - I can't think of anything... damn.

NewYorkDoc
November 5th, 2007, 11:50 PM
The last one was hilarious. Thats a good gag gift for Christmas, thanks for the idea!

Front_Porch
November 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Above, and beyond, BR.

I will let Mr. Front_Porch know about many of these items as holiday possibilities for me own self -- I especially look forward to getting the Drake Collection!

ali r.
{downtown broker}