PDA

View Full Version : Staten Island ferry

elaine
November 6th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Can anyone tell me how far the terminal is from the Edison Hotel on w47th st? I plan to take a trip out to see the Statue of Liberty while on my stay. Also what is there to see on the island besides the beautiful lady! Oh and is it true that the ferry is free!!
Thanks
Elaine

Front_Porch
November 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM
The ferry is free, but it will take you PAST the Statue of Liberty to Staten Island. PLEASE NOTE THAT going to the Statue of Liberty is a different boat!

To get to the Ferry Terminal from the Edison you would get the "R" train at the 49th street stop -- I think there's actually an entrance near the hotel -- and take it to Whitehall Street -- and take it to Whitehall street -- 10 or so stops -- and then you're at the Ferry Terminal.

If you do decide just to take the Staten Island ferry, the ride will give you a nice "drive-by" view of the statue.

Once you are on Staten Island, the fastest thing to do is to turn around and go back, but if you want to explore you can 1) visit the September 11th memorial that is a quick walk from the stadium; 2) take a quick bus ride (not free) to Snug Harbor, which is a very pretty complex of Victorian buildings (I got married there) -- there's also a famous Chinese scholars' garden that should be pretty even at this time of year.

If you want to skip that, another thing Staten Island is famous for is 3) pizza.

I would recommend getting a cab to Joe and Pat's, but there's another thread on this board all about Staten Island pizza.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

elaine
November 6th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Thank you so much for your advice you've given me loads of new ideas now. . .wish I had more time to stay.
thanks again
Elaine:D

GINGER
November 7th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Elaine,if you've got time walk it,we stayed in the area you're staying in and it's a great walk,we walked to Times square then walked south on Broadway all the way down.