PDA

View Full Version : Coat Advice.

Alonzo-ny
November 11th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Ok so, I need a new coat. Im in the market for a pea coat material type deal, long like almost knee length. I have a budget which could probably stretch to around 500 for something really nice but id prefer to pay less. I am open to any styles, colours.

Mods. I didnt put this is shopping in NY because it is specific and i dont want it lost among other requests.

Oh, and I know about Century 21 and Burlington Coat factory so any other suggestions are welcome. I just need an idea where i can get a nice, good quality new coat for a decent price.

Front_Porch
November 12th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Shoot! I just found this and the Andrew Marc sample sale just closed yesterday.

(On the other hand, they had pea coats for women, but I'm not sure they did for men).

For discount/vintage designer I would try the designer resale shops (maybe Ina Men on Mott?) and consider hitting the suburban designer resale shops. I have always heard good things about Annie Sez.

If you want new, Jos. A. Bank has a lot of classic men's clothing at reasonable prices -- Mr. front_porch bought his tux there -- so I think that's the best shot.

good luck
ali

econ_tim
November 12th, 2007, 01:33 PM
i was just shopping for coats

macy's had a pretty decend selection, with hugo boss being in your price range and dkny being a little above

faconable also had a really nice overcoat for about $600

banana republic has some pretty standard styles for around $200-$250

was at uniqlo in soho the other day and they had several nice styles, but didn't check the material or the prices

NoyokA
November 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I'm still wearing my peacoat from Burlington's. About 3 years now, but its still stylish today. Areas where there is alot of coat selection is just north of Macy's, coat wholesalers, although most places will sell just one. And in the Lower East Side, coats are about the only thing (other than latte's and tapas) still sold in the Bargain District.

NoyokA
November 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM
BTW, I would never pay $500 for a coat. Everyone compliments me on how stylish my peacoat is, as I mentioned earlier its three years old, it cost me less than $200. Hell my Italian Lamb-Leather Jacket cost me less than $300. Shop around, if you have a good eye you'll get something better looking than the name-brand Calvin Klein, Perry Ellis, or the like at more than half the price.

NYatKNIGHT
November 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I walked by the multitude of stores in my neighborhood and got my peacoat, which I love, from the Army-Navy store on 8th St. for a great price.

Alonzo-ny
November 12th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Other than the aforementioned where are good areas, streets to explore?

pricedout
November 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM
TJ Maxx and Filene's Basement are two additional discounters. If you're checking out Burlington, walk south on 6th Ave. about 4 or 5 blocks. TJ Maxx and Filene's are in the same building (above and below Bed, Bath).

NoyokA
November 13th, 2007, 01:29 PM
H+M is running a sale on peacoats.