PDA

View Full Version : Wilpon and soccer

I LOVE THE SOCCER
November 13th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Is it true that Fred Wilpon Is interested to put a soccer stadium near Citifield and to put a NEW YORK CITY soccer team in MLS ( maybe 2011 ) ?
I think that it is incredible that the most important city in the world hasn't a true soccer team ( New York Red Bull is only a New Jersey team in my opinion ) in the most important sport in yhe world !!!
Are news about Wilpon and what is your opinion ?

ASchwarz
November 13th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Is it true that Fred Wilpon Is interested to put a soccer stadium near Citifield and to put a NEW YORK CITY soccer team in MLS ( maybe 2011 ) ?
I think that it is incredible that the most important city in the world hasn't a true soccer team ( New York Red Bull is only a New Jersey team in my opinion ) in the most important sport in yhe world !!!
Are news about Wilpon and what is your opinion ?

As you mentioned, we already have a team. NJ is part of metro NY. It would be like saying that Chelsea and Arsenal aren't London teams because they are on the periphery. The Red Bulls stadium is actually a little closer to the region's heart than Chelsea or Arsenal.

But you are correct: News reports have linked Wilpon to a new MLS team in Queens.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
November 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM
It is true that Harrison, where in 2009 will there be a 25.000 new stadium, belongs to NY metropolitan area and even to NY-White Plane -Wayne metropolitan division, but it is also in another state ( New Jersey ). However I think that an metropolitan area of about 18 million of inhabitants must have at least 2 soccer teams ( London has 13 soccer teams , Buenos Aires 20 etc ).

I LOVE THE SOCCER
November 16th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Great news. Today Don Garber ( commissioner of the MLS ) has said that there are good possibilities that Wilpon builds a soccer stadium near Shea Stadium !!!
What can be tha capacity ? I think 30/35.000 seats.
What is your opinion ?

I LOVE THE SOCCER
November 22nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Is it possible to restore the Shea Stadium and to use it for soccer in the 2010season ?

ZippyTheChimp
November 22nd, 2007, 06:38 PM
I doubt that would happen.

Look at the last image on this page. (http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/ballpark/citifield_images.jsp) The two stadiums are very close together, and lost parking spaces are to be recovered, so Shea is coming down.

If they are contemplating adding a soccer stadium, they will have to build a multilevel garage. It makes sense to put the garage between the two stadiums.

Anyway. I've been to a few Jets games at Shea, and it's a lousy place for sports with rectangular fields.

southpaw817
November 30th, 2007, 02:16 PM
We have started a supporters group to help the push to bring a MLS team to NYC. If you would like to get involved contact us at:
nycfcfan@gmail.com
myspace.com/nycfc
and our website will be up shortly:
boroughboysnyc.com

Hope to hear from you soon,
Southpaw
Borough Boys Supporters Club

I LOVE THE SOCCER
December 5th, 2007, 07:36 PM
To see also : www.newyorkcityfc.net

JCMAN320
December 13th, 2007, 05:46 AM
If NYC wants it's own team, make Red Bull NY, Red Bull NJ. We deserve it considering that West Hudson where they will be playing in the new stadium is considered the craddle of American Soccer.

Fahzee
December 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I'm playing devil's advocate here - how is West Hudson the cradle of American Soccer?

I LOVE THE SOCCER
December 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
An interesting article on www.newyorkcityfc.net

Fred Wilpon is Your Daddy
Fred Wilpon has already been reported by Don Garber, Major League Soccer commish, as a potential owner for a New York City soccer franchise. In the state of the league address and subsequent interviews, Garber confirmed Wilpon rumors and added that other parties were also in discussion with the league about a New York expansion.

But is Wilpon the right man at the right time?

A MLS owner in New York needs four things: the financial resources to buy and operate a football club, a Big Apple network to secure a stadium for soccer, experience in running and marketing a professional sports team, and the passion to bring soccer to NYC.

Money-wise, Wilpon has the ability to buy a team. A $30-40 million franchise fee would not appear to stop a Wilpon-led ownership group. He did pay over $150 to pay out former Mets co-owner Nelson Doubleday.

A lot of Mets fan have call Wilpon cheap, but I think that's compared to the Yankees' George Steinbrenner. Big Stein is definitely not the norm for sports owner. The Mets have the 3rd largest payroll in baseball and are paying some of the new stadium costs.

A New York City FC owner will need to find a home for his team. The Mets are moving into their new stadium, Citi Field, in 2009. That might leave Shea as a viable location. Wilpon will have to negotiate with the City to keep it open, since New York is the landlord.

But what about a new soccer-specific stadium or a multi-purpose stadium featuring soccer? Garber has already mentioned that a multi-purpose stadium next to Citi Field has already been discussed with Wilpon. Wilpon has already show the ability to use his connections to get this done when others have failed.

Let's not forget that Wilpon also built KeySpan Park in Coney Island for the Mets Single-A affiliate, the Brooklyn Cyclones. With this proven record of constructing stadiums, I would not bet against a soccer pitch coming to Queens if he does end up buying an MLS franchise.

Sports ownership is limited to a small group of individuals, so having someone like the experienced Wilpon would be a coup for the MLS. He has run a successful franchise in New York City and has shown the desire to improve it.

He spent $150 million to pay out Doubleday and paved the way to Citi Field. Doubleday was a notoriously cheap owner and wanted to renovate Shea Stadium instead. Wilpon has changed the Mets from a generic team to one that is marketed to NYC's diverse population. Has anyone else been to Korean Night at Shea?

Wilpon's one flaw as a FC owner is that his knowledge and love for soccer is questionable. He has dedicated his sports ventures towards baseball and has been a huge fan of the sport since he was a kid in Brooklyn.

While his passion for soccer is iffy, we do know that Wilpon is not afraid to market towards the Latino market. The Mets have embrace their Latin stars and have even had a "Los Mets" night. The assumption is that these Met fans will become Mets FC supporters.

The Mets have also started to market towards Brooklyn and Manhattan. While New York City remains Yankee Country, Wilpon at least has tried to attract new Met fans outside of Queens. Compare this to the non-existing marketing to New Yorker by the Red Bulls in recent years.

His SNY cable television station also has to appeal to the MLS. It is a perfect medium to report on and promote soccer in New York. MSG currently shows the Red Bull games locally, but the coverage appears to be more filler content than a cornerstone of the channel.

So to summarize, here's the check list and how Wilpon does:
Finances - YES
Network - YES
Experience - YES
Soccer Fan - NO? (but he is a sports fan)

Wilpon is an almost ideal candidate for a New York FC owner, if not him, who? I'll post about that soon

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ?

JCMAN320
December 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Fahzee Read The Following For Your Answer
---------------------------------------------------------

West Hudson: A Cradle of Amerrican Soccer
http://www.sover.net/~spectrum/hudson.html

From Redbullpark.com
Soccer History of Harrison, New Jersey

Harrison Football Club, c. 1922 (National Soccer Hall of Fame)

Decades ago Harrison, New Jersey, was a key part in the growth of American soccer, the region of northern New Jersey that was known as West Hudson. The last professional team to play in Harrison was in 1923, the same year as the last U.S. Open Cup final was played there.

Although the area was not the birthplace of soccer in America, It may have been just to the south in New Brunswick, N.J., where the game that has often been called the first game of American football, but which actually was soccer, played between Rutgers and Princeton in 1869. Or it may have been Boston, where a game was played in the early 1860s that could have been an early form of soccer.

American college students were very enthusiastic about soccer in the early 1870s, particularly at Princeton (NJ) and Rutgers (NJ). But as the colleges were abandoning soccer in favor of American football, the recent immigrants like the British in New Jersey and New England and the Irish in St. Louis were there to take up the slack.

How the Kearny-Harrison area became a center of American soccer is connected to the story of the American Industrial Revolution and was built on the foundation of the immigrant population. In Kearny, it was the Clark Thread Company, which started in Newark in 1866 and expanded to Kearny in 1880, a huge Scottish company, from Paisley, Scotland.

Clark Thread Company formed a team named ONT, that stood for Our New Thread, a product whose name was a cornerstone of Clark's marketing efforts through the 20th century. ONT was the first champion of the American Football Association (AFA) formed in 1884 in Newark, New Jersey. Thomas Hood of Kearny was chosen as the first president of the AFA, which at the time was the only "national" soccer association in existence outside the British Isles. In 1885, ONT became the first winner of the AFA Cup, beating the New York Club, 2-1. It won again in 1886 and 1887.

Also in 1885 the United States played Canada in Kearny in the first full international game ever played outside the British Isles. This game, on Nov. 28, 1885, is not today recognized by the United States Soccer Federation has having been a full international, because it was played before the formation of the USSF in 1913.

Although Kearny's heyday as a focal point of American soccer ended more than 50 years ago, it has continued to produce good soccer talent right up to this day. Two of the greatest names in American soccer, current New York Red Bulls Assistant Coach John Harkes and current New York Red Bulls Goalkeeper, Tony Meola, grew up there and were teammates at Kearny High School.

Prior to 1922, the top league was possibly the National Association Foot Ball League, which had teams primarily in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

The West Hudson Club was formed in Harrison which was more varied in its ethnic makeup than Kearny and in 10 seasons, won either the AFA Cup or the NAFBL title 8 times. West Hudson is the first team to win "the double," which means winning the country's top professional league title and its national cup title in the same year. West Hudson won both the AFA Cup and the NAFBL in 1912. In the cup final, it beat Paterson Rangers, 1-0. West Hudson won the AFA Cup in 1906 and 1908. The team from Harrison won the NAFBL a total of six times in 1907, 1909, 1910, 1912, 1913 and 1915.

In its last few seasons, West Hudson made its home at Federal League Park, a 20,000-seat stadium built in 1914 for the Newark Peppers of the Federal Baseball League, which folded in 1915. The stadium was converted to soccer and in 1918 hosted the replay of the U.S. Open Cup final between Bethlehem (PA) Steel and Fall River (MA) Rovers won by Bethlehem, 3-0. In 1923, Paterson (NJ) FC won the U.S. Open Cup over Scullin Steel of St. Louis. The stadium burned down in August 1924.

Other Harrison area clubs included the Kearny Irish who won their only ASL title in 1934, the ASL's Lewis Cup in 1944 and the Erie AA Club, which continued in to the original American Soccer League as Harrison SC.

Harrison SC produced one of the biggest stars in American soccer during the 1920s in Davey Brown, gained his greatest fame with the New York Giants, for whom he scored 52 goals in the 1926-27 ASL season. The goalkeeper for that Harrison team was George Tintle, a Harrison native who had been a member of the U.S. national team in 1916.

The area also produced one star player, who was born there but gained his greatest fame elsewhere. Tom Florie, who was born in Harrison in 1897, but played in New England. Florie, a forward, was the captain of the United States team at the 1930 World Cup at which it reached the semifinals, and he played again in the 1934 World Cup.

Red Bull Parks construction in Harrison will mean a new life for the soccer history of the Harrison area.

A Soccer Community

Harrison, New Jersey and its neighboring communities of Kearny and Newark's, Ironbound are densely populated with diverse international residents rich in soccer heritage. Harrison is located 8 miles to the west of New York City, and is sandwiched between Newark (the state's largest city) to the west and Jersey City (the state's second largest city to the east. Harrison High School owns 21 state championships in soccer, most in state history.

It was during 1994 FIFA World Cup that the town of Kearny, N.J., became known affectionately as "Soccertown USA," because, as every single commentator pointed out at least a dozen times a game, American stars John Harkes, Tab Ramos and Tony Meola all came from the town.

In Newark, New Jersey, St. Benedict's Prep is one of the finest high school soccer programs in the country. The school has been ranked #1 in the country in 1990, 1997, 1998 & 2001 and 2005 along with winning 19 New Jersey state championships. Producing players such as Tab Ramos and U.S. National Team Captain and newest NY Red Bull Claudio Reyna.

Newark's Ironbound is known for being a Portuguese neighborhood. Portuguese roots in the area run deep, with the first immigrants having arrived in the 1910s. Today, immigration is led by Brazil, Ecuador and Mexico. There is a Portuguese festival every June and a Brazilian festival in September. The Ironbound is one of Newark's most vibrant neighborhoods. Along Ferry Street, its commercial heart, features a mix of well-known Portuguese, Spanish, and Brazilian restaurants, cafes, bakeries, sports clubs.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
December 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM
On www.newyokcityfc.net

Saturday, December 15, 2007
Group of Death: Opposition to NYC FC Mounts
In the previous Group of Death post I outlined the field of contenders for the next three MLS expansion slots. Well this week had some potentially bracket-busting information.

Miami now has to be considered as a possible franchise even though two previous Floridian teams have failed. There have been preliminary talks for the state to allocate around $100 million to build a soccer-specific stadium next to a new Marlin stadium.

While scary for a NYC FC because it will be hard for the league to turn down a free SSS, I am calling bullshit on this news story. The reporter said that soccer officials agree that the Little Havana neighborhood would allow the league to "closely connect to our core soccer audience." I'm half-Cuban and know that futbol-loving Cubans are about as common as Fidel Castro not wearing fatigues.

Another stadium that looks like it will happen is in Kansas City. "But Kubah, KC already has a team." Yes, but there have always been rumors that if they did not get a stadium the Wizards might relocate. I guess this alternative is out for a NYC FC. WVHooligan has the story.

WVHooligan also has a Philly story. It appears that the state money was not approved before the legislature went home for the holidays. No money equals no stadium which equals no MLS. It looks like bad news for the Sons of Ben, but supporters in St. Louis have to like their chances about a 2009 opening season.

So where does that leave NYC FC? Let's go to the map:

That's a lot of red dots. The league is currently 8 Western teams and 7 Eastern teams. Either Philly or St. Louis would make it an 8-8 split. When the league expands to 18 teams, it looks like it will have to be one new team for each division. The Western front runners look to be Portland, Vancouver, and maybe Las Vegas(?). The Eastern teams look to be Philly/St Louis, NYC, and Miami(?).

From the this week's news, St. Louis looks like it is going to be the 16th team. As for 2010, Philly is going to be hard to beat if they get a stadium and a NYC FC ownership situation has not even been announced.

An option that will allow for a NYC and Philly/St Louis to make the next cut is moving KC to the Western Division. There are two drawbacks to a KC realignment for the league . A KC-St. Louis rivalry would appear to be desirable and the new Seattle franchise has topped 10K in season ticket sales. You don't think the MLS sees that and wonders what their USL-1 rivals, Portland and Vancouver, can draw?

Obviously this situation is very fluid and I will update the Group of Death as news filters in.

GO NYCFC FOR MLS 2010 !!!!!!!!

I LOVE THE SOCCER
December 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM
On NewYorkCityFC.net

New York City FC dotNet just hit 1,000 unique visitors! That means that a thousand individuals have learned about the plight to bring Major League Soccer to New York City.

This site has only been up for about three weeks, but I have seen a steady increase in traffic and returning visitors. I think this says something about the level of interest in a NYC FC. To all that dream of seeing professional soccer in the Big Apple I have only this to say to you: YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

I would like to thank everyone that has visited and hope that you continue reading.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
December 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
To see www.newyorkcityfc.net and SIGN THE PETITION for Mr Wilpon !!!
Thank you.

southpaw817
December 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM
This rivalry would be the best in the league and would really help in the growth of soccer in the US.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
December 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Thank you.

I LOVE THE SOCCER
December 31st, 2007, 12:24 PM
Help we to hit 100 signs before of the end of the 2007 ( now are 93 ).

GOOD YEAR !!!!

I LOVE THE SOCCER
January 18th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Jan. 18, 2008

'WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS'
Garber on a NYC expansion team

Baltimore -- An MLS expansion team in New York City still is on the table, commissioner Don Garber said at the MLS SuperDraft Friday.

"New York continues to work towards putting together a right plan for a facility," Garber said at the Baltimore Convention Center. "We've had conversations with ownership groups. We announced at the all-star game that it was the Wilpon family and the Mets.

"We have been meeting with them over the last year and continue to work on their plan to construct and effectively finance a soccer stadium on the grounds in and around CitiField. We're making progress, but we really haven't put a timetable on that team."

southpaw817
February 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Check out our website at boroughboysnyc.com!

southpaw817
February 25th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Do you want to sign the petition to help New York get its club? If so, please attend the March 1st meeting, as the physical petition will be available for signature. We will also discuss our progress and next steps. Come help bring the "Beautiful Game" to New York City. The meeting will be held at Breffini Inn located at 43-45 40st-Right off the corner of 40th St and Queens Blvd.The 7 Train is right there! Its only a few stops from Grand Central Station.

OmegaNYC
February 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM
What a min? Soccer needs saving? So much for Beckham.. :cool: Like some members were saying, NYC all ready has a soccer team (Red Bull). This team is part of the NY Metro area and plays its home games in Harrison, NJ. Just a stone's throw away from Manhattan. As a Mets fan, I only want to see the Mets play in Citi Field. Another stadium in Flushing would be a mess. Baseball is from April-September; October if the Mets make the play-offs. Another stadium would put more traffic and cars to an area that isn't served that well with parking. The trains would be a mess (Riding the 7 is an event unto itself.) I'm not against NYC having it's own soccer team, but the demand is all ready met (Redbull has a new stadium) Flushing is all ready full (Shea/Cit Field, USTA Court) Unless they would build a stadium in Jamaica or the Meadowlands, I don't see this happening.