PDA

View Full Version : Help required- Vet Tech

sarahr11
November 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM
hello all,

i would really appreciate ANY help at all with my situation. I am a RCVS (UK) qualified vet nurse in London who is moving to NYC next year, as my husband has a transfer with his job. Although his company is issuing me with a visa, i am having to sort out my employment in the states myself which is proving to be a bit of a nightmare!
I understand to practice as a vet tech in NYC i have to pass a VTECH exam, which apparently is only available to sit in January (already missed the deadline!) and June. `Does anyone have any other information that may be of help? I am also clueless as to the "average" salary a vet tech can expect to earn? I was interested in working for the ASPCA in NYC, but if there is a considerable salary/hours difference with working at a private/charity vets i wouldn't mind which!!! i have a London University degree (BSC Hons) in animal science, 3 A-levels and 10 GCSEs, have been qualified for 7 years and have numerous additional vet certificates so am not too thrilled at the prospect of earning student wages if a get a job. can anyone also give me any ideas on good employers in NY (vet) and details of what vet techs are/aren't allowed to do as currently i am performing minor surgical procedures, carrying out lab/radiography procedures, inducing animals etc and generally have a very "hands-on" approach to vet teching....

As you can tell from the above, I'm completely clueless as to what to expect and any help would be appreciated!!!

ManhattanKnight
November 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Please check your PMs.