PDA

View Full Version : holiday in new york

roshlocs
December 7th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Hi

we are a large family of 7 from scotland and we're coming to new york over christmas. We were thinking about hiring a car as we're going to be staying in Broad Channel a good bit away from the city. I'm aware that parking will be difficult but wondered if you have an option to drive closer to the outskirts and then get a train? In scotland we have a park and ride facility, do you have anything similar? Or does anyone have any ideas of the best way to travel, we didn't want to be on the subway late at night every night with so many young children

JOHNNYCANUCK
December 8th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Hello Roshlocs! I'm not quite sure where Broad Channel is but cheap in the outskirts might be OK for a couple that can zip around on transit or walk for hours. A hired car is something nice if you have lots of cash which would be better spent on a Midtown Hotel. With a tribe of seven, a Midtown Hotel is handy to come and go all day and nite. Red tour bus gets you around town with hop on and off privelages, just plan your days to visit various parts of town. I've been to NYC 5 times since 9/11 and I'm heading back a week Thursday, I gotta see it at Christmas! TTFN.

roshlocs
December 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Hey thanks for the reply

We've actually booked a large house in broad channel, as we couldn't afford a hotel for all of us! We were thinking about hiring a car to get in and out of Broad channel as it's a bit in the back of beyond:) we were hoping that there would be a park and ride option, where we could drive out of Broad channel and find a park and ride facility, where we could use public transport to get in and out of the cities, but still have the car somewhere to drive back to the house.

We were also thinking about driving to Canada for the day, as we've been told its only a 6 hour drive either to buffalo or in the other direction montreal, obviously weather permitting! We'd love to do this as we don't think we'll get another opportunity to take a dream holiday again, and want to fit as much in as possible, do you have any idea if this is feasible?

ZippyTheChimp
December 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Hi

we are a large family of 7 from scotland and we're coming to new york over christmas. We were thinking about hiring a car as we're going to be staying in Broad Channel a good bit away from the city.Car rental is your best option.

Direct driving route toward Manhattan:

Cross Bay Boulevard north (it will change name to Woodhaven Boulevard), about 8 miles to...

Long Island Expressway I-495, west to Midtown Tunnel, Manhattan.

About 4 miles, you'll be in the Long Island City-Hunters Point area of Queens. There are subway lines with short trips across the East River into Manhattan, and parking facilities in the area.

I'm not sure how they relate to each other, so wait for someone to expand on this.

Parking (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/parking/getmap.shtml?zoomifyImagePath=../../gif/parking/site&zoomifyX=-0.250394452073025&zoomifyY=0.026816992371419&zoomifyZoom=80)

Subway map (http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf)

ZippyTheChimp
December 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM
We were also thinking about driving to Canada for the day, as we've been told its only a 6 hour drive either to buffalo or in the other direction montreal...

do you have any idea if this is feasible?It's about 350 miles from NYC to Montreal, so yes it's feasible. Would it be a round trip? Then it would be two 'working days' of driving. I'd think you'd want a full day in Canada, so if you can allot three days. Sounds hectic with a carload of kids.

I think the better trip is straight north on I-87 to Montreal. The Northway north of Albany is especially scenic, a New York that's the antipodal of Manhattan. Montreal is worth a visit.

But it gets cold as you move away from the warming effects of the ocean, and snow is common.

JOHNNYCANUCK
December 8th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I agree with Zippy with the car rental, get a 7 passanger minivan at least. Sounds like you are coming from out on Long Island, if you are coming from that far out I suggest you drive into Manhattan and find a street level open parking lot and use it as a base for the day, after a hectic day it's nice to get in the car and go. Cost upwards of $50. a day but it's worth it, I like to park around South Street Seaport, you can see Lower Manhattan and still have access to Red Bus to go uptown. what do you think Zippy?

roshlocs
December 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM
hi
so glad i found this forum, everyone is very helpful, especially to a family of NYC novices, in fact we've never been out of Europe before, so this is really a big adventure.

Really appreciate all the help, thanks

BrooklynRider
December 10th, 2007, 11:15 PM
From Broad Channel, you could obviously take the A or C subway trains or drive to Long Island Railroad Train Stations on the Far Rockaway line to jump on a commuter train into Penn Station. You could buy a weekly train ticket for each person in your family.

You could also take the quick drive over to Coney Island, where street parking is free and abundant in winter. The Stillwell Ave terminal serves the D,F,N, and R subway lines to Manhattan.

Driving might end up being most economic given the size of your family. Since it will be the holiday season, I suggest finding a parking lot in Lower Manhattan (Financial District) as there will be many workers out on vacation fort he holiday week. Midtown parking will be a nightmare. Additionally, Lower Manhattan offers you the greatest option in subway transportation as all the lines are located in a fairly small geographic area.

From Broad Channel, you can take the Cross Bay Blvd to the Belt Parkway west. Take the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel as it has the least traffic of any East River crossing (although there is a toll involved.)

Regarding a drive to Canada - forget it. It is 8 hours at a high speed to Buffalo - and that's AFTER you clear the city. (Plus you would be heading into the snowbelt of New York State. You wouldn't want to get stranded.)

Also, it can take an hour - in the worst traffic - to get from Broad Channel to Manhattan. The hoildays should be relatively smooth sailing on the roads, so it's not an issue.

antinimby
December 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Yes, driving to Canada is not recommended this time of the year as you'll likely run into bad road conditions and being unfamiliar with the area and roads will only make things worse.

Better to just take the train as was recommended here (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16294).