PDA

View Full Version : Alonzo Megatrip.

Alonzo-ny
December 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Ok guys its time to harness the WNY collective, I am planning a round the world trip for the month of july. I will be in Europe for the majority of the time ending in Japan then back here to the city. Definites I have for the trip now are 1.5 weeks in France, then stops in Budapest and Dubrovnik. Other cities Im considering are Berlin or another German city, Marrakesh, Rome. I am also thinking of a Scandinavian city or Moscow. So i basically will have 2 weeks or so in Europe skipping around spending a short time in each place.

I need suggestions of destinations and why I should go there!!

ablarc
December 8th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Definites I have for the trip now are 1.5 weeks in France...
Don't know if you've allocated your time in France, but naturally best HQ is Paris --even though it's expensive. From there you can take fast trains for day trips to Brussels; Chenonceau via Tours (St. Pierre-des-Corps), a wonderful medieval city and gastronomic paradise; and both Amiens and Rouen, especially if you're partial to medieval cities.

In Paris, I'd check out Nouvel's Quai Branly Non-Western Art Museum, then take the newest and fastest of all TGVs (320 km/h) to Strasbourg, an exquisite medieval blend of France and Germany. Rent a car in Strasbourg and tour the gorgeous vineyards and villages of the Alsatian countryside, being sure to stop in Colmar, where the Midddle Ages coexist with Grunewald's great altarpiece; and if you're interested in cars catch the Schlumpf National Auto Museum in Mulhouse. All those Bugattis will whet your appetite for the art of industry, so catch the Railway Museum as well. From here, an hour or two of hairpin curves will bring you to Corbu's pilgrimage chapel of Ronchamps, secreted in the wilds.

...then stops in Budapest...
...currently all torn up for subway construction...

and Dubrovnik...
...which is best accessed by car from Venice or Slovenia. Driving down the Dalmatian coast will take you through scenery to make a Californian blush, interspersed with exquisite little walled cities --of which the best is Split, basically a conversion of Diocletian's palace into an urban enclave.

Other cities I'm considering are Berlin...
Don't miss a resurgent Potsdam. From Berlin you can also take a low-cost airline to the beautiful university city of Krakow, taking in Auschwitz, the amazing salt mines and the raucous nightlife.

...or another German city...
If not Berlin, then Munich, from which you can take the cograil/tramway to snowcapped Zugspitze, from which you'll see a white and glacial panorama of several hundred miles. Catch Mad King Ludwig's Castle in Fussen and the Rococo delicacy of the Wieskirche, stranded in a field. Accessible for a day trip by Germany's fastest train: Nuremberg and its Gothic monuments.

...Marrakesh...
My, we're getting ambitious, are we? Watch your wallet.

...Rome. I am also thinking of a Scandinavian city or Moscow. So i basically will have 2 weeks or so in Europe skipping around spending a short time in each place.
Spreading yourself too thin. Less hectic is better.

Alonzo-ny
December 8th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Excellent! I am partial to medievil cities so yours is a perfect reply! I have been to Paris 3 times previously and now I am learning the language I am itching to get back over there!

Marrakech might be ambitious but I guess its better to have too many ideas at this point that I can streamline. Krakow I have visited already and it is beautiful, though it may be a good idea for me to pick less places and really explore the regions which you have described, perhaps my 1.5 weeks in France, a week in Germany and a weekend in Dubrovnik and off to Japan for a week.

zupermaus
December 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Venezia, la Serenissima

Meerkat
December 9th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Prague - have a look at my new thread. Beautiful city.

Budapest and Rome are well worth visiting. Berlin is OK, but i wouldn't put it at the top of your list.

If you go to Moscow tell me what its like as i'm considering going there at some point.

ablarc
December 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM
^ You sure get around.

What's your secret?

Meerkat
December 10th, 2007, 07:18 PM
^
I love travelling - living in Europe its easy to go for a weekend break somewhere. I only wish i'd done what Alonzo is doing next year when i was younger.

By the way Alonzo, 2 weeks isn't much time to cram all this European sightseeing in - its going to be a hell of a rush. How are you going to travel - train or flying?

I was thinking about Germany, maybe go to Munich, i've heard its very nice (i'd like to go to Oktoberfest), and its very close to Salzburg in Austria - you could visit both at the same time.

MidtownGuy
December 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
living in Europe its easy to go for a weekend break somewhere.

So true, I'm really envious of that. You're close to so many places. Americans have to fly so far just to cross one of the oceans, and South America is hardly close if you live in the North. Then you've got all those discount airlines, efficient trains, etc.

Alonzo-ny
December 10th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Im not trying to see all of europe in two weeks just a few places plus 1.5 weeks in france so 3.5 weeks all together. I miss cheap travel sooooooo much! £20 to Paris, no problem.

Meerkat
December 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM
^ You sure get around.

What's your secret?

You seem to have travelled a fair bit yourself - you know about alot of different places, where have you visited?

zupermaus
December 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM
ok a spanner in the works, one of the most European cities in the world can be found in Turkey.

Istanbul, a mix between Paris, Damascus and San Fransisco (architecture aswell as outlook), East meets West, old meets new and what Newsweek is calling the new 'world's coolest city' (last time it did this was London 1995) precisely for the juxtapositions you can find so few places elsewhere- girls in miniskirts passing the mosques, ancient teahouses next to gay bars, swimming in the sea next to the palaces. It also happens to be one of the worlds friendliest cities.
In short Istanbul = zeitgeist.
http://istanbul.metblogs.com/photos/cool_istanbul.JPG

Also Paris, the worlds most beautiful city. This is how cities should be made, and why they are. Lonely Planet puts Paris as No 1. in its leagues of worlds best cities.

zupermaus
December 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM
some pix of istanbul:

more pix of Istanbul:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/stormicy3/kis.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/alanson/CanBalcioglu.jpg

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/429/mereksokakmuzisyenleri7nu.jpg

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6417/shipintroublels6.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5866/34qp9.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/zhjakob/1446862827_adaaa64593_b.jpg

Meerkat
December 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Visit a country or city that hates the U.S./U.K. so much that it may soon close its doors to us -- making it so that you may never get to visit it again. (Take lots of pictures!)

Considering the poor relations with Russia at the moment, maybe Moscow would be such a place. I think Alonzo, you mentioned it already, but warning - its very very expensive from what i hear (and looking at prices on the internet, but i'd love to go myself).

Alonzo-ny
December 30th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Alright my updated plan is this:

Fly to Paris, travel round France for a week.5 on TGV+, then travel by train to Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Hungary, Austria, Czech Rep. and finally Germany where Ill fly out from.

Anyone with experience travelling around Europe by train, is this viable?

ablarc
December 30th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Alright my updated plan is this:

Fly to Paris, travel round France for a week.5 on TGV+, then travel by train to Switzerland,
TGV to Strasbourg, then via Colmar and Mulhouse to Basel. Italy via Cisalpino, fast train Milan to Venice. I'd rent a car in Venice and drive down the coast to Dubrovnik. Trouble is, you have to come back, so you might want to omit this leg of your breakneck itinerary and head by train to Vienna via scenic Slovenia. The train trip from Ljubljana to Vienna is famously scenic (Semmeringbahn). Vienna-Budapest is pretty fast, Budapest-Prague not so much. From Prague, Berlin is a medium-length train trip, but so is Nuremberg. From there, you can take the really fast train to Munich.

If you like steam trains, a full day excursion from Berlin takes you on the Harz Bahn, a remnant of Commie days and before.

Complete and very user-friendly European train schedules at www.bahn.de
Be sure you click on the English language link (a bit hard to find).

Alonzo-ny
January 2nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
thanks! Problem is I have no drivers license and Im quite set on Dubronik! Thanks for the link Ill give it a look.

ablarc
January 2nd, 2008, 07:00 AM
Well then, I think it's the bus for you; don't think you can get to Dubrovnik by train. Bus is scenic and hair-raising; you'll arrive several years older.

A slower alternative: you can cruise to Dubrovnik from Venice.

Or you can fly.

lofter1
January 2nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
The prices for short flights between cities within Europe have dropped incredibly in the past 10 years -- previously it was somewhat out of the question, as the costs were very high.

BrooklynRider
January 4th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Is there any boat service from Italy to Dubrovnik or is that like a slow boat to China?

MidtownGuy
January 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM
The direct ferry leaves from Bari, it's usually around 8 hours. They have overnight ones.
Bari is a bit out of the way though, unless you're going to be in the south.

Alonzo-ny
February 22nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
Ok, updated itinerary:

Paris > Brussels > Amsterdam > Berlin > Prague > Vienna > Budapest > Zagreb (+ Dunrovnik) > Rome (+ more in Italy) > back to France for a bit.

More comments appreciated, Im thinking of paying for a euro rail pass (www.eurail.com) and training around, using buses when necessary, time scale still one month.

lofter1
February 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
For the amount of moving around you're going to be doing a Eurail Pass would definitely seem to be the way to go.

Although you've listed about a dozen cites for a one month trip -- so could be you'll be on a train half the time ;)

Ebryan
February 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Not to highjack this thread for my own purposes but I am traveling Paris and Barcelona for 9 days (March 18-26) and as the trip is paning out, I will be spending 6 of those days in Barcelona (3 alone). Any suggestions on day excursions from Barcelona?

ZippyTheChimp
February 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Not to highjack this thread for my own purposesThat's exactly what you did.

Ebryan
February 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
That's exactly what you did.

It is my hope to get an informed perspective by those who are well travelled. I didn't think it was necessary to flood the forum with a new topic. Judging by your past activity in this thread, you are not who I was targeting.

ZippyTheChimp
February 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
I didn't say you hijacked it from me. Doesn't matter.

Just start your own thread. It won't flood the forum.

Alonzo-ny
February 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
For the amount of moving around you're going to be doing a Eurail Pass would definitely seem to be the way to go.

Although you've listed about a dozen cites for a one month trip -- so could be you'll be on a train half the time ;)

I will have to suck it up I think, hopefully find as many overnight trains as possible.

ablarc
February 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Ok, updated itinerary:
Get yourself a rail pass. You have to buy it in the U.S. before you leave.

Paris > Brussels
Fast train. In Brussels, don't miss the flea market in Marolles, a neighborhood to explore.

Amsterdam > Berlin
There's now a night train. Pick up a little time by traveling while you sleep, though in a sleeper you probably won't save much over a hotel.

Budapest
A pretty decent city. First visit? How long a stay? What do you hope to find? The beaten track is good, but there are some hidden surprises (which can gobble up your time).

Dubrovnik
Best (but expensive!) if you can stay within the walls. Hope you're a meat eater.

time scale still one month.

Which month?

A whirlwind tour. Will you be traveling alone?

Alonzo-ny
February 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
July, expensive I know but its the only time I have between jobs to do it. Ill be with someone from Paris to Berlin after that probably alone. Im think around $3000 maybe will cover it, I sure hope so.

pianoman11686
February 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
That's on average about $100 per day. Not sure if that'll be enough, considering that buys you only about 70 Euros.

ablarc
February 24th, 2008, 12:19 PM
It's youth hostels, bread and water for you, boy.

And is it still possible to hitchhike?

Alonzo-ny
February 24th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hostels is a given, Im still close enough to college I can pull it off. Bread and water might be an exaggeration. I hope . . . .

Alonzo-ny
February 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Any advice for flights?

Alonzo-ny
March 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
Ok guys, flights are booked, itinerary is something like this:

*France*, Geneva, Milan, Florence, Siena, Rome, Venice ,Split ,Dubrovnik, Budapest, Vienna, Prague ,Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris.

A few places France for a few days is still an unknown for me at this time and i will probably whittle down a few places to make it fit.

All ideas are welcome, places to stay and things to do in these places.

NoyokA
March 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Gl.

Alonzo-ny
March 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
My contingency includes cutting out Geneva, Milan, Vienna and Amsterdam if needed.

The Benniest
March 3rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Wow Alonzo! I cannot wait for you to get back and post some of your pictures. And you haven't even left yet. :p I've been to a few of those ^^^ places and they're beautiful. I hope you enjoy yourself!

Will you be flying to all of these places, or a mix of flying/driving/train ?

Alonzo-ny
March 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Flying to and from Paris and train everywhere else. i know! i think i may even buy a new camera before I leave, depending on how much money i have after paying for everything else!

NYatKNIGHT
March 3rd, 2008, 11:30 PM
Fantastic. I had a very similar trip. Didn't get to Geneva, Siena or Berlin (though I would love to) but add in Brussels and extensive time throughout the Alps. Hard to pass up Vienna since you're in the neighborhood. Amsterdam is great for many reasons, but it's relatively easy to get there another time.

The Benniest
March 3rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
Flying to and from Paris and train everywhere else. i know! i think i may even buy a new camera before I leave, depending on how much money i have after paying for everything else!
What kind of camera do you have now?

Fantastic. I had a very similar trip. Didn't get to Geneva, Siena or Berlin (though I would love to) but add in Brussels and extensive time throughout the Alps. Hard to pass up Vienna since you're in the neighborhood. Amsterdam is great for many reasons, but it's relatively easy to get there another time.
Brussels is fantastic! Some really nice things in this city. Make sure you try the chocolate and the homemade, fresh bread! Delicious.. Also, if you're not going already, the Musical Instrument Museum (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A668504) in the downtown/centre area is pretty cool if you're interested in music.

-Ben

Alonzo-ny
March 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Sony T133 or something like that 5.1 mp

Alonzo-ny
March 27th, 2008, 02:56 PM
My current itinerary!

Land in Paris and based there, and on Ablarc's advice for 5 days will takes day trips to, Strasbourg, Chartres, Amiens, Rhiems and Rouen. Then onward to Bern for a overnight stay then an overnight train to Rome where i will spend 5 days. Onward to 2 days in Florence then 2 in Venice, overnight to Budapest where I will spend 2 days, 2 days in Vienna then 2 days in Prague. Onto Berlin for 3 days overnight back to Paris for 5 days exploring the city.

All comments appreciated.

Meerkat
April 21st, 2008, 06:09 PM
^ You can get rail tickets with unlimited use around Europe here (http://www.eurail.com/1_global_pass?currency=eur). As you're travelling by train so much it would save time and money to have one.

The Benniest
April 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Sounds like a busy trip, but I'm sure you'll have loads of fun though. The places you are going are beautiful. I've been to Paris and it really is a magical city. Take pictures!!

Also ... are you getting a private room on the overnight train?

Alonzo-ny
April 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks Meerkat!

Ill be taking three overnight trains in all, Bern to Rome, Venice to Budapest and Berlin to Paris.

Ill be taking pictures with my new Leica D-Lux I plan to buy, look forward to them!

Meerkat
April 22nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
Sounds like you'll have a great time - you've picked some beautiful cities to visit. When do you start your trip?

I'm considering buying a rail pass and travelling Europe too, if your trip goes well i may do that sooner rather than later.

Alonzo-ny
April 22nd, 2008, 11:42 PM
Flights have been booked for a while, i land in Paris on the 1st of July. Im now in the process of booking hostels in 9 cities which Ive been putting off because its tedious. Then Ill get my rail pass last as the price on that stays stable. Then its camera time and off i go!

MidtownGuy
April 23rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
I'm so excited for you!! That trip sounds amazing with a capital "A"!

Fabrizio
April 23rd, 2008, 05:32 AM
Alonzo: I don't know if I'll be around in July, but if I am and if you want to meet in Florence for coffee or some walking around, drop me a PM. There are some new things like the University that I still haven't toured so it would be a good opp. for me too.

Alonzo-ny
April 23rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Absolutely!

NYatKNIGHT
April 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I am so jealous, your trip sounds amazing.

Alonzo-ny
May 1st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Fabrizio: Im not sure if you're into sports but my team, Glasgow Rangers, are playing Fiorentina to try and make it into the UEFA cup final tonight.

ablarc
May 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM
My current itinerary!

Land in Paris and based there, and on Ablarc's advice for 5 days will takes day trips to, Strasbourg, Chartres, Amiens, Rhiems and Rouen. Then onward to Bern for a overnight stay then an overnight train to Rome where i will spend 5 days. Onward to 2 days in Florence then 2 in Venice, overnight to Budapest where I will spend 2 days, 2 days in Vienna then 2 days in Prague. Onto Berlin for 3 days overnight back to Paris for 5 days exploring the city.
Very nicely worked out --especially if you can sleep on a train. Will you be booking couchettes?

You'll find much of Budapest torn up for massive subway construction.

Alonzo-ny
May 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM
For 3 of the trips i have overnight trains, couchettes it is!

Fabrizio
May 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
0 - 0

(although we played better)

Alonzo-ny
May 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
And Rangers get to the final on penalties, cant complain, defense won the Giants the superbowl. You need to get Batistuta back from retirement!

Alonzo-ny
June 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Well all is booked pretty much! Im looking forward to a great trip, bitter sweet though because I will be leaving New York at that time to go back to college, a last minute decision. Im looking forward to a good one, all cities should be amazing though I especially look forward to the last week in Berlin and Paris the most for reasons a few members know of.

I also couldnt afford that spanky new camera as I have to save for college now you guys will have to put up with my 3 year old 5.1 Sony T33 which Ive been using for my recent threads in photos of NY.

The Benniest
June 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Yes Alonzo. After reading your trip plans yet again, it sounds like a wonderful trip. I wish I was going. :rolleyes:

Also, judging from your recent Broadway thread, this camera will work out perfectly for the trip! ;)

Alonzo-ny
June 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks!

Well if you want to start a Alonzo camera fund dont let me stop you!

brianac
June 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Alonzo, now that you have changed your plans to continue your studies.

a) Will you still be making this trip?

and

b) If so, will you be going to Scotland at the end of it?

Alonzo-ny
June 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Double yes, the crowning glory of the trip will be Glasgow. Only a week before I leave!

Also, does anyone know what the deal is with euro power outlets? Will i need 8 different adapters?

brianac
June 22nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Electrical Plugs and Adaptors.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap11/electric.htm

Alonzo-ny
June 26th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Ok, the time is almost here, I fly out on Monday so here is a preview of what ill be posting in a month or so!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/2615024724_9f3860ebaa_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2615024564_c860c1d4ce_o.png

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2614194811_3223f5f6ed_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/2614194493_ba649b993f_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/2614195091_5e6f76ba5e_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3227/2615024822_325ac342ab_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/2614194969_e6c0ceb21c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3230/2615024668_aa4f336bf4_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3133/2615024052_3954c71bbb_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2615024962_4533263f78_o.jpg

BrooklynRider
June 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Fantastic!

Great seeing you today! :D

Bon voyage. Have a safe and memorable trip.

Report back with pictures.

All the best to you. Say "hello" to Scotland from NYC.

Alonzo-ny
June 28th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Will do! Thanks! Posting the pictures will be a challenge because there will be hundreds but ill get them all on for sure!

The Benniest
June 28th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Wonderful! This will be a great trip! I'd go back to Paris in a heartbeat. You'll love it. :D

Alonzo-ny
June 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM
For me this is trip number 3 to Paris, the first time where ill make good use of my time.

Alonzo-ny
July 3rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
I guess since Im on I can give a short update, no pics til i get home unfortunately. Using Paris as my base yesterday I visited Strasbourg, which other than a stunning cathedral is pretty short on attractions, a day is more than enough. The catheral was worth the trip though, probably the first time a building truely took my breath away. Today was Amsterdam, I absolutely loved it, an amazing city, amazingly urban. I usually never get lost in cities especially when i have a map but I did here, not sure what that says. This city has just propelled itself into my favourites, pity I didnt have time to partake of the ladies of the night...

Alonzo-ny
July 5th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Brussels yesterday, some extremely nice little pockets and grand beautiful buildings but i found this city quite sterile outside the older medievil pockets and somewhat ex-communist feeling. Chartres cathedral today, very nice but I think I prefer Strasbourg.

The Benniest
July 5th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Your trip sounds wonderful (so far) Alonzo! I loved Brussels, especially the home-made bread and chocolate. :rolleyes:

Have fun!
Ben

Meerkat
July 6th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I left a message earlier this evening and it vanished! Very bizarre:confused:

Oh well, here's another one.

Hope you're enjoying your trip. Are you taking loads of photos?

I wasn't too keen on Brussels either. Parts of it are nice but in general it seemed a bit bland. Did you visit any cake shops in Amsterdam? Very popular i hear...... Its a lovely city, and the people are very friendly. Did you visit Ann Franks house?

Where are you off to next?

BrooklynRider
July 6th, 2008, 12:50 AM
You're moving faster than Hannibal across the mountains on the back of elephants. You are getting photos along the way, yes?

Can wait for the montage!

Alonzo-ny
July 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Lol yes everything has been fairly rapid until now, Im in Bern at the moment and am about to hop on an overnight train to Rome for 5 days and the best places are ahead now. Bern is a little boring but nice and I only really came here for Renzo“s building which is gorgeous. Im clicking away with my camera so expect a photo orgy when i get home! Rome is the place Id been looking forward to most so I cant wait!!

The Benniest
July 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM
After looking at Google Images of Berne, it looks like a really nice place. :)

I can't wait to see pics of Rome!

Have fun on that overnight train. :cool:

Meerkat
July 8th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Im in Bern at the moment

I'd love to go there.

How are you finding the train journeys? Is it straightforward getting tickets etc?

Alonzo-ny
July 8th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I am now in Rome and I think its awesome!

Bern is reasonably ok but pretty dull, not many attractions and almost everything looks the same. id recommend it as a few hour stopover.

NYatKNIGHT
July 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Excellent! Tie one on in Rome for us.

Alonzo-ny
July 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Went to the Vatican city today, museums were ok. I found the sistine chapel as overhyped as the Mona Lisa but still great. St. Peters really blew me away. After being in 4 cathedrals last week i didnt expect to be impressed but WOW is all i can say.

kliq6
July 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Stop at the Forum, Palatine Hill and Domus Aureus for the ancient Roman highlights

Meerkat
July 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Try to fit in a visit to the catacombs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Rome) south of Rome - well worth the visit.

NYC4Life
July 11th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Is Rome dirty and grafitti filled like many tourists have said?

kliq6
July 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Not dirty in my opinion but enough of graffitti is around, especially parts just north of Vatican city and along the Aurliean walls heading south of the city

MidtownGuy
July 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Have a great time in Rome, Alonzo! Be sure not to miss Trastevere across the Tiber, it's a real neighborhood.;)

Alonzo-ny
July 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
One day left here, Ive done most of what everyone has mentioned so far, except trastevere which Ill do tomorrow. It is somewhat dirty but that effect is more created by the fact alot of buildings just need a paint job. When you start to leave the touristy areas the graffiti gets much worse.

Crisis averted today, my laptop burned out my outlet converter but it was surprisingly easy to find another!! If not id have been camera-less!

Alonzo-ny
July 14th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Been in Florence since yesterday, nice city, little small but a couple of days is perfect. All the museums were closed today so i nipped over to Pisa and took a couple pics and left. Ill go see the David tomorrow then off to Venice!

Stroika
July 14th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Alonzo, re. Venice: Beyond the Basilica and Doge's Palace on Piazza San Marco (both of which are fantastic), tours of the glass workshops on Murano are pretty cool; so is the Basilica dei Frari, if you can find it and they don't shoo you away because they want to close early. As hackneyed as it is, I highly recommend cruising the Grand Canal on one of the public water taxis, crammed with other tourists -- a private gondola costs multo $$. The taxi'll take you past the Santa Maria della Salute, Ca d'Or, the Rialto, the Turkish Exchange, etc.

My favorite thing in Venice, though, was probably just strolling the streets at night. The population is a mere 60,000 (down from 600,000 as recently as the '60s) and people seem to live only on the top floors of buildings. Walking down the labyrinthine, dark, empty and foul-smelling passageways with only a few lights on in the top floors of buildings is very creepy.

One word of warning: Don't eat in any of the cafes near the Rialto. I went to a restaurant where the prices seemed reasonable, till the waiter (probably Neapolitan) offered a simple dessert of crepes. When he brought the bill, the crepes cost 45 euro!

I'm upset I couldn't advise you on Rome. My sister lived there last year, and Rome is by far my favorite Italian city. I hope you caught some of the good stuff there -- including the remains of the Baths of Caracalla, still more intact than Penn Station, which was modeled after them!

Fabrizio
July 15th, 2008, 05:34 AM
You should always check prices on the menu but if the price was not posted, ask for the owner, refuse to pay the bill, explain that you will report them to the police. In Italy, in a city like Venice, this stuff is taken seriously and will get action.

MidtownGuy
July 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I would never pay that part of the bill. They'd have to pry it from my cold dead hand. I'd be so pissed someone was trying to blatantly rip me off that they'd probably end up having to call the police on me, which of course they wouldn't do in light of their little scam. I would have thrown down 2 euros for the crepes and the next thing I'd be throwing is a punch if anyone had a problem with that.
In general, the food in Venice is grossly overpriced and not that good.

Fabrizio
July 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM
BTW... I could not get into Florence but Alonzo and I had a nice phone conversation while he was there.

Alonzo-ny
July 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Delightful talking to you Fab! Hopefully Ill get that coffee with you at some point.

Alonzo-ny
July 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Just arrived in Vienna, Budapest was good times. I met a friend and his girlfriend who is from Hungary there so I had a great tour guide. Vienna seems my cup of tea but exploring will happen tomorrow and ill be better equipped to review.

BrooklynRider
July 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM
This trip is going to produce one helluva photo tour.

Safe travels!

Alonzo-ny
July 21st, 2008, 06:16 AM
I got the chance to upload everything up until venice into my laptop and it looked pretty sweet so far, best photo thread ever perhaps?

kliq6
July 23rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Yes I think this may be the best picture thread yet. No that work has died down, im going to post my pictures from Dubaii

Alonzo-ny
July 23rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Now in Berlin and the trip is coming to a close in terms of places to visit only Paris after this and thats it! Pics will be up in a couple of weeks!

NYatKNIGHT
July 24th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Say hi to Obama for us.

Alonzo-ny
July 28th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Ha! I saw the set up happening but had no intention of sticking around for him though i did watch the speech live.

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 01:10 PM
Ok boys and girls the trip is over, Im thoroughly exhausted and am looking forward to some not walking around all day everyday. I have uploaded all pics to my laptop and will be putting them online tonight hopefully. They look pretty damn good. WHAT A TRIP!!

NYC4Life
August 1st, 2008, 05:47 PM
Wow that was a long trip. You sure had a ton of fun and visited places most of us will never see a daylight of :p

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Arrival in Paris

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/2723805142_e8db1cdc63_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/2722983823_1511d1e971_o.jpg

Strasbourg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2722999415_14ca12553a_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2723821314_def6478166_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/2722999605_3c5d2b283c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3240/2723821478_490b332f6b_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/2722999821_5c8e836210_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3122/2722999943_69415331d1_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/2723000095_d9b7732000_o.jpg

Amsterdam

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/2723013717_f6b8213178_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/2723835806_6d364832e7_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/2723835988_450a76ecd5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/2723836156_905c7c1b24_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/2723014307_a537ffe54f_o.jpg

Brussels

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3067/2723036921_cb595ebc8c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2723859516_920a28ecb6_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3134/2723037201_4c52f7d60f_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/2723859766_4d9f16f919_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3239/2723859978_c760a5075f_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/2723860058_b5383cd489_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:15 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/2723860208_548ce67b3d_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2723038061_b7b8fc3b44_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2723038235_cdf91f6f41_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/2723038409_3c41eb59a8_o.jpg

Chartres

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2723900038_37eb2a2400_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/2723077615_317351cb72_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2723077753_df07dfbde9_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3025/2723077845_2653de64ae_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2723078009_d2b6f027e9_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/2723900758_399e6a73e1_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:15 PM
Bern

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/2723091299_c0de2c5cae_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/2723091485_b82b7b5abe_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/2723091635_1e1922afed_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2723091847_2f8d636baa_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2723914678_996e2605c5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/2723914852_fa36b62baf_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/2723092287_37335087d9_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/2723092411_5d08b6efcc_o.jpg

Rome

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/2723942946_45d93f7e05_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/2723120215_6ccfbd09fb_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3025/2723943268_640f23b479_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2723943386_1646bd04d2_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/2723943472_25faaedc17_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3235/2723120765_63c4d96545_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/2723943760_e81693b82c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/2723120979_08ab9c28e2_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/2723943976_2ea2d444a9_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/2723944100_f4cb4f8821_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2723944226_43bc341602_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/2723121469_d2490273f1_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/2723944488_c63ed767df_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2159/2723121743_10388e992b_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/2723121847_86951aa345_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/2723121969_8f92307869_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2723944874_8961e85207_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2723122173_4239570a76_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/2723122293_8a4950b6eb_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/2723122427_57f7cef22c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/2723122541_eba9c133b3_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/2723122641_7b7ed8f802_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM
Pisa

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/2723964122_cfa9bd2315_o.jpg

Florence

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2723967866_9922ee58ca_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2323/2723967964_efd3a5b7c8_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3139/2723968078_32521d6438_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3283/2723968192_c7ecd6e41d_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/2723968340_d99e825f1a_o.jpg

Venice

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2723976382_4afc62204d_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2723153313_36845519cf_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/2723153431_ef9d9ee711_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2286/2723976838_68731a7c01_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2723153629_c6773a74ff_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/2723977120_05c7600b0b_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/2723153869_6cbf77092a_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3159/2723153947_1b1ff0fcf1_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2723154051_49e4039f7d_o.jpg

Budapest

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2723989086_9caf4bc093_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/2723989236_c40acaf3b1_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3139/2723989342_7c57171177_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/2723166329_4827ee36f4_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/2723166431_a946a14893_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3094/2723166525_0fc0efc985_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/2723989726_0d77eebc89_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/2723166727_15cfb929f5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/2723166827_66822f95e1_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/2723990056_74fe3c57f9_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2388/2723990174_f925d31c5d_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/2723990274_222c7d1b2d_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/2723167185_587a50dbb2_o.jpg

Vienna

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/2723187801_04a8da8104_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2724011426_2f946bce2e_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/2724011508_eabc683598_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2723188091_908eed4d00_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/2723188199_459090f228_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/2723188309_0e7e387330_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/2724011886_79735bddef_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2724011992_c87acafc60_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2724012094_cc9a6cefae_o.jpg

Prague

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2724052962_b8b68ccc9c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/2724053040_bdd42f11b1_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2724053152_f2d753f4c4_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3230/2724053248_d830f38295_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2724053344_c13da69a52_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3210/2723230405_2d456cb2a1_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/2724053510_db25a05a9a_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2724053614_3a0212fddf_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3266/2723230707_c4ed392666_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/2724053830_3f0103bce1_o.jpg

Berlin

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2724068576_24ebc0b849_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2724068688_a2521901da_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/2724068832_aa997f69f1_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2723246093_0431a0f055_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/2724069094_2cdfd3353c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/2724069202_e783a6e1b6_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/2724069402_b3dd5671ca_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/2723246545_f319958465_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3292/2724069542_18edb87397_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2723246725_6795015eca_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3208/2724069720_129ef1cd7e_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/2724069796_039305a056_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/2724069872_044caa966d_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/2723247047_056f9b5ed5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2723247123_4f5c84ff93_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3159/2723247225_be1872818f_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/2724070182_e5cd76bb51_o.jpg

Paris

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/2724091176_bbf06f3752_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/2724091266_06036617bc_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/2724091378_b4aaba6b33_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/2724091496_744d070304_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/2723268935_7f06f701f3_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3235/2723269067_d27a3c101b_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:21 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/2724091886_4dd5922027_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/2724091980_b91570831a_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3077/2723269319_694638c470_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/2724092166_b7b821589f_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2724092276_91fdbea530_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3289/2723269749_f79afdd63a_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/2724092566_63fd93d353_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3120/2724092662_b8e69aa02c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3209/2723270079_c289cf8178_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2724092856_e7898da85e_o.jpg

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2008, 09:21 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2073/2724092974_e840e9fc71_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/2723270479_0c65f8a776_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/2724093200_f419b6b761_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3075/2723270717_da3c28b34f_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3145/2724093402_1f3fcafa0a_o.jpg

The Benniest
August 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Absoutley wonderful set of pictures Alonzo!! :eek:

This (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2723153629_c6773a74ff_o.jpg) has to be one of my absolute favorite pictures:

BrooklynRider
August 2nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Wowsa! It looks like you had picture perfect weather.

How did you decided where to go on this trip? Each picture is spectacular.

NYatKNIGHT
August 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
<applause>
Every city - fantastic! Europe is so beautiful. Thanks for the very enjoyable photo tour - it's great you have them to remember your mega-trip. Very glad it went so well after all the planning. Cheers!

BrooklynRider
August 6th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I just went through these last few pages again. Just a spectacular photo journal.

ablarc
August 8th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Spectacular, Alonzo.

The Beaux-Arts stuff is the best, eh?

(Or at least it's the most photogenic.)

MidtownGuy
August 8th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Wonderful pictures, that was so enjoyable to look at!

Alonzo-ny
August 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys! It was amazing!

I picked my places based on a nice circlur tour from paris to paris hitting all the big guns on the way. I really doubt ill do it again for that long, two week tours at the most for me from now on!! Im still absolutely exhausted!

My favourite places definitely Paris, Rome and Berlin.

kliq6
August 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Rome is my favorite ty in the world. Nothing else like seeing so many centuries worth of buildings all within so many miles

londonlawyer
September 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Wow! What great photos! I can't believe that I missed this thread!!

pianoman11686
September 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the postcard-worthy photos, alonzo - they brought back many wonderful memories of a trip I took several summers ago with my father.

Did you get a chance to visit anywhere in Germany besides Berlin?

Alonzo-ny
September 8th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Unfortunately no, though its definitely a country Ill be exploring further. Ive heard good things about Munich.

pianoman11686
September 8th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Yes, Munich is incredible. (That's what I had in mind when I asked.)

zupermaus
September 15th, 2008, 05:15 AM
what a wonderful thread, just read it from start to finish. Are you in London atall?

Alonzo-ny
September 15th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Im up in Scotland for two more years then Im planning on a move to London. Hopefully Ill get down for a weekend next month.

Alonzo-ny
September 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
I will be returning to Berlin in a month with college. I will have the privilege of a tour of some really interesting buildings like:

Treptow crematorium

http://iplot.typepad.com/iplot/images/crematorium_berlin.jpg

Dutch Embassy

http://berlin.barwick.de/static/images/8/82/1169/dutch-netherlands-embassy-berlin.jpg

and the Norwegian Embassy.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/61/182400132_f47ae55a1d.jpg?v=0