PDA

View Full Version : Prague, Czech Republic.

Meerkat
December 9th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Last week i visited Prague, the capital of the Czech republic, population 1.2 million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague

If anyone gets the chance to vitist, its well worth the trip - its a beautiful city, and has now taken over from Budapest as my favourite east European city.

As i only had a couple of days, i had to cram in as much as possible, but as Prague is quite small its easy to get around quickly on foot.

I started off by visiting Wenceslas square, a bit uninspiring, very similar to Londons Oxford street (only wider and with less traffric). Next i went to the old town square, which is home to the astronomical clock, created in 1490 by Master Hanus - apparently blinded so that he couldn't replicate the clock elsewhere (1st picture). The architecture in this part of the city is beautiful, and the nest 4 pictures give a taste of the type of buildings here.

Next i went to the old Jewish ghetto, as i've always had a fascination for Jewish hi9story and culture. A ticket can get access to several old syanagogues aqnd the old Jewish cemetary (picture 6), which dates from the 15th century and holds around 100,000 bodies - in an area about half the size of a soccer pitch. Adjacent to the cemetary is th Pinkas synagogue, which has inscribed on its walls the names, dates of birth and death of nearly 80,000 Czech jews murdered in world was 2. Picture 7 is the old Jewish town hall, and picture 8 is Mailsal syanagogue.

After exploring the ghetto i returned to the old town square, and took a few pictures of the church of our lady of Tyn (picture 9), which dominates the skyline of this part of the city, but unfortunately isn't open to the public. Then as it waas starting to get dark i rushed down to have a look at Charles Bridge (picture 10), which spans the Vlatva river. It was comissioned by emperor Charles IV in 1357 and completed in 1400.

Meerkat
December 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM
The next day i went to have a look at the 'dancing building' (picture 1, completed in 1996 and desigened by Frank Ghery and Vlado Milunic. The i crossed the river and headed to Prague castle which dominates the city skyline. The castle was founded in the 9th century and has grown piecemeal ever since. The castle is also home to St.Vitus cathedral (pictures 2-5), begun in 1344. Beautiful, but freezing cold inside.The third picture is of some gargoyles on the exterior. Picture 6 is the interior of St.Georges basilica, also in the castle precinct. Then i went down to have a look at the dungeons at the eastern edge of the castle. Pictures 7 and 8 are of a gibbet and a rack, though i couldn't find out if they were ever actually used. The last 2 pictures are of Prague skyline from the castle.

Meerkat
December 9th, 2007, 08:47 AM
After finishing exploring the castle i went back into the town square (via the Charles bridge, and making a new friend on the way - pictures 1 and 2). The square is currently housing the christmas market (pictures 4 - 7). It was freezing cold, but with the help of a couple of glasses of hot wine i soon warmed up, though its strong stuff. The last picture i took just before i left for the airport, it is of the castle and St.Vitus cathedral from the banks of the river.

The Benniest
December 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Wow Meerkat. These pictures are very nice. I've always wanted to visit Prague and these pictures don't help my travel wants. Lol, good job!

-ben ;)

Meerkat
December 11th, 2007, 12:49 AM
^Thanks! Photography has become a bit of a hobby for me now, especially since i joined WNY :).

I've just noticed that when i click on the pictures they don't blow up much though. I can't seem to get the hang of uploading photos on this site.

turkishann
December 11th, 2007, 12:26 PM
brilliant photos, we visited prague 4 years ago and it is a wonderful place, if you get chance visit, it is also very cheap so you money goes far.

Beautiful Place :)