View Full Version : Union City construction

krulltime
December 10th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Union's Made
With help from Daniel Libeskind, this Jersey town could be the next Hoboken

http://www.pbase.com/image/53364648.jpg

By KATHERINE DYKSTRA
December 10, 2005

HOBOKEN. Jersey City. Montclair. For a decade these were the cities whose names were dropped when the conversation turned to New Jersey real estate. Well, it’s time to add another name to the list: Union City.

The traditionally quiet town, which lies just west of Hoboken, 200 feet above the Hudson River, has more than 30 new developments under way. Plans call for high-rise condos, a branch of the Hudson County Community College, the opening of a light rail station and three new schools to address the anticipated population growth.

“There is so much new development, the mayor got a grant to do the city’s master plan over,” says Tom Leane, the executive director of the Union City redevelopment agency. “The new master plan will address new zoning, housing, traffic, parking.”

Union City will need it. Leane has received more than 200 building applications in recent years.

Founded in 1925 as a merger between Union Hill and West Hoboken, Union City was historically a Hispanic working-class area where the professionals it produced high-tailed it to Manhattan and other big cities as soon as they got a chance to leave.

“Ever since I was a child, I always said my dream was to get out of Union City, to go onto bigger and better things,” admits Ramon Liriano, who was born and raised there. And he did; Liriano went to medical school in the Dominican Republic, he traveled, he founded a company, Medvice Life Settlements Inc., and he lived in Jersey City for eight years.

But now, like a growing number of young professionals who spurned Union City for “bigger and better things,” Liriano is coming back.

NEW HEIGHTS

The draws are obvious.

First there’s the city’s location, high above the Hudson.

“It’s a spectacular site,” says Daniel Libeskind, the architect

best known as the master planner for the World Trade Center site’s redevelopment, who is currently working on an 18-story, 40-unit Union City condo building with 3,000-square-foot units.

“The building is on a cliff, 200 feet over the Hudson, and it is 220 feet tall, so it’s 420 feet above the water. There are spectacular views of the entire metropolitan region: Manhattan, the George Washington Bridge, the Hudson, the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty.”

Second, the completion of a new light rail station by the Hud-son-Bergen Light Rail (HBLR) in early 2006 will connect Union City with Hoboken, and thus the PATH train and Manhattan. This will give commuters another convenient option. (Currently, the best way to get to Manhattan is by a 15-minute bus ride into the Port Authority Bus Terminal.)

Though the area isn’t yet bursting at the seams like Hoboken is, longtime residents say Union City’s growth is easy to spot.

“I’ve been here since 1997,” says Anne Fischer, an artist who has just bought into Mountain Road Lofts, a converted garment factory where she lived before it was purchased and developed into condos.

“The area’s changing. I’m not sure which direction it’s blowing, so to speak, but I do know that the buses are starting to pass you by in the morning, because they’re full.”

One of the biggest selling points of the city is how much space you can get for your buck.

Liriano was set to drop $1.7 million on a 1,400-square-foot loft in SoHo when he stumbled upon Mountain Road Lofts while back in the neighborhood getting a picture framed.

“I took the back road and saw these lofts up on the hill. I took down the number, and sure enough when I went inside, I was shocked at the quality,” says Liriano, who had scoured San Francisco, Arizona, Georgia, Florida and Texas for an “appealing apartment that wasn’t overpriced.”

“It’s amazing that after traveling and looking around for so long, I find it in my own backyard,” Liriano adds.

SIZE MATTERS

Liriano’s two-bedroom, 2 1/2--bath loft, which comes complete with a Jacuzzi, checks in at 4,220 square feet; he paid $1.299 million.

“The place in SoHo is a matchbox in comparison,” he says.

Mountain Road Lofts is the vision of Ray Eshaghoff and David Khaghan, both principals with BSG Management, who saw Union City’s potential early on. They purchased the three buildings Khaghan describes as “white elephants,” joined them and are now selling the renovated lofts, each unique, which range in square feet from 1,800 to a whopping 4,300, for $750,000 to $1.3 million.

Union City’s “white elephants” are slowly disappearing, as are many two- and three-bedroom homes, which are being quickly snatched up and renovated or razed to make room for condos. It likely won’t be long before Union City rolls off the tongue as often as Hoboken during New Jersey real-estate ruminations.

“I think the area is great. Artists live there, musicians live there, which to me is the hallmark of the outposts of bohemian living,” says Steve Wagner, a partner with law firm Wagner Davis PC, who had attempted to organize the tenants of Mountain Road Lofts before the building was bought by BSG.

Mountain Road Lofts is now just one of many hot buildings bringing in new faces.

“I live in Hoboken. It’s completely saturated, and the prices are the hottest on this side of the river. We looked at [Union City] and said, ‘That’s the next area out of the Lincoln Tunnel.’ Bam, you’re at your house in two minutes,” says Gerardo Velez, who is moving into Park City Grand this February.

The building, with 66 one-, two- and three-bedrooms, plus four penthouses, is the first of six that Park City Grand is planning to build on Park Avenue in Union City.

“I grew up in New York, and I missed TriBeCa, I missed SoHo,” Velez says. “I didn’t have the resources then to buy, but I’m not missing this side of the river.”

http://specialsections.nypost.com/news/nypost/nyphome/20051210/img/e_4_p37.jpg

Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings, Inc.

stache
December 10th, 2005, 07:22 AM
The commute is only 15 minutes if traffic is not backed up going into the tunnel. North Jersey people look down on Union City because it has a very corrupt past. Maybe that will change now.

krulltime
November 13th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Any news? Is this getting built? Also do anyone knows the exact location of this tower?

best known as the master planner for the World Trade Center site’s redevelopment, who is currently working on an 18-story, 40-unit Union City condo building with 3,000-square-foot units.

“The building is on a cliff, 200 feet over the Hudson, and it is 220 feet tall, so it’s 420 feet above the water. There are spectacular views of the entire metropolitan region: Manhattan, the George Washington Bridge, the Hudson, the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty.”

http://www.pbase.com/image/53364648.jpg

TriHobo
November 13th, 2006, 05:05 PM
1510 MANHATTAN AVE, UNION CITY, NJ

Libeskind's tower in Union City will never be built unless they change the design to 1) not be as expensive to build, 2) contain many more units so they aren't so large, and 3) build some services in that area of town.

krulltime
May 23rd, 2007, 10:57 AM
More renderings of Libeskind Union City Condominiums...

http://www.pbase.com/image/79285744.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/79285690.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/79285724.jpg

competition: N/A
completion: Summer 2008
opening: Summer 2008
Client: Nelly Biche de Bere

Union City Condominiums

The Union City Condominiums are inspired by their unique location atop a 200 foot high cliff of the New Jersey Palisades overlooking the Hudson River.

The tower itself soars up an additional 220 feet with its glass and steel curtainwall celebrating the New Jersey Palisades skyline. The building contains 36 luxury loft residences, 2 per floor, each inspired by Daniel Libeskind’s unique vision. All the residences are 2 bedroom + den, 2 ½ baths and have direct elevator access to the unit. Every unit is designed to provide breathtaking views across the river of Manhattan. Ample private outdoor terraces are designed to integrate with each unit and compliment the massing of the form. The fully glazed walls create a seamless relationship with the vistas outside. Each unit has a minimum of three exposures ensuring inspirational lighting throughout the apartment. Penthouse units have additional roof gardens and near 360 degree views.

To compliment the lifestyle of the residents, a full amenity level including a gym, yoga room, lap pool, function room and outdoor party deck with dramatic skyline views of Manhattan are located at the cliff’s edge. Onsite parking and concierge service add to the list of services provided. Union City is an up and coming neighbor to the vibrant Hoboken and Jersey City which are enjoying a prolonged residential and cultural renaissance. The tower is located just minutes away from Path train access to Manhattan as well as the Lincoln Tunnel.

http://www.daniel-libeskind.com/projects/pro.html?ID=63#more

Spoon
May 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
That will never be built. If you had the choice to live in Union City or Hoboken, you'd choose Hoboken for a variety of reasons I'm not going to even mention.

Comparable prices to this would probably be maxwell place and hudson tea in hoboken and those are on the waterfront in hoboken not up on the cliff.

macmini
May 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
I would love to see this get built but this is not going to happen until the housing market improves. Hell if people are welling to pay almost a million to live @ maxwell with half a** views then why not here. Sorry to tell you Spoon Hoboken is not the end all, be all you and most of the people in Hoboken think it is.

ASchwarz
May 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
We definitely have some jealous posters on this thread.

Just because Union City is not quite as expensive as Hoboken does not mean there isn't a market for this kind of product. The Jersey waterfront is an extension of the Manhattan market. It is big enough and vibrant enough for luxury condos in all the waterfront parcels, not just a few blocks of yuppified Hoboken or waterfront Jersey City.

Everything from Fort Lee to Bayonne will eventually be expensive and upscale.

Also, what's with "until the housing market improves"?? The market is extremely strong. Ask any broker that deals with Manhattan property and other central locations (brownstone Brooklyn, Williamsburg, LIC, Astoria, waterfront Jersey, etc.).

We are not experiencing the weakness felt in the rest of the country. Two words: Wall Street. This year's bonus will dwarf last years, so the good times will continue, at least in the short term.

Alonzo-ny
May 23rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
Libeskind, the triangular mans gehry. What are the reasons for this not being built exactly?

Spoon
May 23rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
All I"m saying is that people's perception is always to move as close to the waterfront as humanely possible. Before I knew anything about Hoboken I always wanted to love as close to washington or the waterfront. I do live in Hoboken but I live pretty much as far back as you can in the town before it becomes jersey city. It's worked out well for me but if I had a choice I would have live much closer to the PATH / Bars and restaurants.

Union City is not in the same league as Hoboken, Jersey City or Wehawkeen. It's just not and you can argue witha bunch of points but there is a reason why hoboken and JC trades for 500+ sq foot vs 300+sq.

I just think that the prices needed to sell these units doesn't justify what it would cost to build so it won't be built. Someone with 1.5M is going to choose New York, Hoboken or JC vs. Union City.

stache
November 21st, 2007, 10:00 PM
I was riding out from the Lincoln Tunnel last week and after making the loop, I noticed a new tower (?) going up near the top of the hill just north of the expressway. Does anybody have any details about this construction?

West Hudson
January 13th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I couldn't help but notice a tall new building rising in Union City close to the Lincoln Tunnel. It's located at Hudson Ave & 30th Street, and appears to be 15 stories in height. And, of course, there are the other large midrise buildings that have popped up in newspapers within the last year or so to be constructed on land in Union City. I believe Applied Co. might be one of the developers, and of course, another developer hired Daniel Libeskind to create an ultra-high-end tower to be built on the edge of the Palisades.

So, here are a few photos of Union City's newest midrise building:

View to the Northeast:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/jcwalkingman/11208009.jpg?t=1200189863
View to the North:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/jcwalkingman/11208012.jpg?t=1200203009
View to the Northwest:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/jcwalkingman/11208013.jpg?t=1200203055

Looking East:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/jcwalkingman/11208014.jpg?t=1200203088

sfenn1117
January 13th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Doesn't look too promising...but thanks for the pics.

spcman
January 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
This building wont be built as it is too expensive for the area, but there is one tower right next door that is supposed to be ninety units at around 1000 square feet average,per unit, although some will be smaller and some larger, which is about right.This building was already approved as Libeskind's was not.

I think they are breaking ground this year and might even be doing a mixture of rentals and condos.

This area has one of the best views the Manhattan skyline has to offer and is the last of the "un-builts". The prices will be similar to Hoboken, but with a higher end building, gymnasium, shuttle services, food delivery, day care, conference rooms, etc. (I was at the meeting when the approved it. The developers seem very smart and grounded.)

Hopefully more will come as the prices will be reasonable, the views are superior and the commute into Manhattan will be easier than living uptown. I think this area is going to be amazing when completed. Looking forward to seeing the building too.

JCMAN320
January 19th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Wow I would love to check out where that will be exactly. Anybody know?

Sparg93
February 18th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Anyone familiar with this condo project?

I was looking at 2br with a view of Manhattan around the $350k range...thoughts from anybody?

JCMAN320
March 31st, 2008, 02:04 PM
A pool plan for Palisades cliffs

Monday, March 31, 2008
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

UNION CITY - Swimmers will be able to do laps at a public outdoor Olympic-sized pool in a park atop the Palisades cliffs by next spring, city officials say.

The 27,000-square-foot park, at the site of the recently demolished Doric Temple at 906 Palisade Ave., is expected to include wading pools for kids, as well as bleachers, water spray devices, restrooms and a locker room.

Fireman Memorial Park will be built 100 feet beyond the cliff, on a platform with an observation deck affording views of the Manhattan skyline. The pool and park should be complete by April 2009.

Also planned for the park is a landscaped walkway, a 9/11 memorial and a gazebo.

An existing 9/11 memorial has been moved to Liberty Plaza at 30th Street between New York and Palisade avenues. Funding for the $5.5 million pool and park project comes principally from state Green Acres Program funds and from city bond issues, said Mayor Brian Stack.

Stack said a sound-dampening wall would be erected between the pool and the neighboring building to the north.

In the fall, the city moved a number of programs that had been held at the Doric, a former Masonic lodge, including a seniors nutrition program, and a boxing club that was held in the basement.

Historic artifacts salvaged from the demolished building will be incorporated into the project, including a 1921 cornerstone, a time capsule and a decorative relief, said Jeffrey Schlecht, senior project manager with RSC Architects, which designed the new park.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Building was demolished despite having been considered historic

Monday, March 31, 2008

UNION CITY - Preservationists are lamenting the loss of the Doric Temple, a former Masonic lodge built in 1921 that included rare examples of classic Greek Revival style columns, said Anthony Squire, a member of the Union City Historical Preservation Advisory Committee.

In 1995, the state Office of Historic Preservation made the building eligible for listing on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places after a survey conducted under the supervision of the city.

But neither the city nor any individual filed an application, officials said.

Squire said the city historical society did not have authority to file an application on behalf of the city and there was no other entity to move the process forward.

Mayor Brian Stack said the public was notified about the demolition plans more than a year ago, but Squire said he does not recall the historical society being consulted.

Stack said it would have cost upwards of $4 million to restore the building and said he wants to see recreational facilities in every neighborhood of the densely populated city.

Architect Jeffrey Schlecht, of RSC Architects, which is designing the park being built at the site, said the columns were broken in the demolition, but parts of them might be incorporated into the new park.

One of two pieces of decorative relief on the front of the building, a cornerstone and a time capsule with newspapers dating back to 1921 were saved and will be incorporated into the park.

CHARLES HACK

JCMAN320
March 31st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Moderators, is it possible to merge this thread "Union City Going Up" and "new building in Union City" into each other because they both pretain to the same building and it would help create one Union City thread dedicated to development of this Hudson County city that boarders the Jersey City Heights, the northern most section of Jersey City. Thanks in advance and I would appreciate it if this could be accomplished.

"New Building In Union City" thread link
http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16071

NYatKNIGHT
March 31st, 2008, 03:23 PM
I merged three other Union City threads into this one, so this is for all Union City construction.

JCMAN320
March 31st, 2008, 05:33 PM
^^^Thank you very much NYatKnight, much appreciated.

JCMAN320
April 4th, 2008, 09:09 PM
State to pay $1.8M for demolished condo

by Dunstan McNichol/The Star-Ledger Friday April 04, 2008, 3:35 PM

New Jersey has agreed to pay more than $1.8 million to a Union City family whose newly-built condominium building was purchased and knocked down before it was ever occupied to make way for a school the state can no longer afford to build.

Today's settlement, reached on the eve of a scheduled Monday court hearing, ends a saga that began five years ago, when the state's School Construction Corp. set out to build a new elementary school on the Union City Palisades.

The proposed Columbus Elementary School was scheduled to be built on property that included 1501 Palisades Ave., which had been a vacant parking lot for more than 20 years.

But by the time the state offered to purchase the land, in December, 2004, a developer whose family owned the land had erected a three-story brick building on the site. The developer, Daniel Lopez, sought $2.2 million for the brand new building.

State officials argued they should pay only $326,000, saying Lopez, with the cooperation of Union City officials, had thrown the building up just to boost the value of his setllement with the state's Schools Construction Corp.

Last month, State Superior Court Judge Barbara A. Curran ruled the state had failed to prove that claim, and ordered taxpayers to reimburse the family for the full value of the completed building.

Today, with the Lopez' still seeking $2.2 million, the state agreed to a compromise purchase price of $1.825 million. State attorneys have 45 days to decide whether to appeal Curran's ruling, under terms of the settlement agreed to today, said Lopez' attorney, William Ward.

Ward welcomed the settlement as vindication for the Lopez family.

The building, meanwhile, no longer exists.

In 2006, the state paid $48,000 to demolish the three-story building, which had never been occupied. Today, the site remains vacant, and the Columbus Elementary School project has been suspended for lack of funds.

JCMAN320
April 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I believe this is the building being built just west of the Helix leading to the Lincoln Tunnel, and next to 495.

http://threaduc.com/index.php

Alternate1985
April 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
70k sqft of wall 75% Brick barrier wall, 20% limestone Dryvit finish, 5% cast stone at penthouse. Brick by Summitville Tile 3 different colors. Light color to be dyed to a red color very shortly. Cast stone by Corinthian Cast Stone. Custom metal flashing to match window for curbs at balcony. All walls unitized by Island International in Calverton NY.

First line of caulk is being done now. Hoist run fill in is being fabricated. Building close up should be fairly soon.

Alternate1985
May 1st, 2008, 09:22 AM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll80/NickMango/3312%20hudson%20ave/DSCN0289.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll80/NickMango/3312%20hudson%20ave/DSCN0290.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll80/NickMango/3312%20hudson%20ave/DSCN0191.jpg

JCMAN320
June 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
A HIGH-RISE HALT?
Resident wins court ruling against developers

Monday, June 02, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Longtime Union City resident Larry Price, who has challenged dozens of local building projects, scored a legal victory that could stall high-rise developments throughout the city.

The 68-year-old retired Navy captain, who has no formal legal training, argued that a pair of seven-story apartment buildings, planned for the block between 13th and 14th streets and New York and Bergenline avenues, was not permitted by the city's zoning ordinance.

In a decision handed down May 21, the Appellate Division of Superior Court agreed and struck down a September 2006 approval by the city Zoning Board of Adjustment.

The ruling hinged on the definition of the proposed 75-foot-tall buildings, which would each have 15 units.

Buildings taller than 40 feet or with more than three stories are not allowed in Union City's residential zone-which covers roughly 80 percent of the city-unless variances are granted.

The applicant, 13-14 Union LLC-whose principals are Abe Wercberger, of Brooklyn, and Michelle Streicher, of Passaic-argued that the buildings are not high-rises because they would not have a central heating plant for all tenants, which is part of the definition of a high-rise in the city's zoning scheme.

But the three-judge appeals panel said that detail was irrelevant to whether the buildings were a good fit for the area.

It's not clear if the decision will set a precedent and restrict the construction of other high-rises. Price says he has filed about 35 challenges and will argue three in court in the coming month.

"It's not a lead-pipe cinch guarantee that because I won this one, I'll win the others," he said. "But it was an important case to win. I did a little dance."

Asked what made him start his crusade, Price said there were simply "too many bad buildings" being built, as the Zoning Board has granted variances for height, setbacks, lot coverage and parking spaces.

City officials and developers, on the other hand, say Price's challenges are frivolous and are hampering efforts to make needed additions to the city's housing stock.

"He certainly has slowed it down," said David Spatz, a municipal planning consultant who has helped draft the first major changes to the city's Master Plan in 30 years, the first step toward updating the zoning ordinance.

City attorney Christine Vanek said the new Master Plan should be submitted to the Planning Board by the end of this month, with public hearings in July.

ASchwarz
June 3rd, 2008, 03:11 AM
So they'll just offer a variance. Silly NIMBY...

ablarc
June 3rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
Price said there were simply "too many bad buildings" being built...
He might be right about that.

spcman
November 2nd, 2008, 10:06 AM

JCMAN320
December 23rd, 2008, 01:39 AM
Say Union City High School should make its deadline

Monday, December 22, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

As Tom Leane leaves his post as executive director of the Union City Redevelopment Agency to head up a new "green planning" office at the Hudson County Improvement Authority, he's reporting success on a major school building project.

Leane said work is more than 90 percent done at the new Union City High School on Kennedy Boulevard between 24th and 25th streets.

The $179 million project - originally slated to cost $134 million and open in September - is now on track to be done for a new April 20 deadline, Leane said. However, classes won't begin there until September.

"We intend to deliver it on time and under budget," Leane said.

He said the only major change to the project is the elimination of a planned early childhood center since one was built a few blocks away.

The four-story school with a rooftop stadium is a merger of Union Hill and Emerson high schools, whose athletic teams are already playing together this year.

Union City is footing about $4 million of the project's bill. The state Schools Development Authority is picking up most of the rest of the tab.

JCMAN320
December 23rd, 2008, 01:52 AM
Price is right again, court rules

Monday, December 22, 2008
CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

UNION CITY - Larry Price strikes again.

The longtime Union City resident frequently challenges the actions of the Union City zoning board. On Tuesday, an appeals court sided with him yet again, and overturned a lower court's ruling, thereby blocking a developer from building a 90-unit luxury residential tower on the Palisades.

The Appellate Division of the Superior Court nixed the zoning board's approval for the developer, Strategic Capital Partners, to build a proposed 18-story building at 1410-1416 Manhattan Ave.

The developer had the right to build as high as 22 stories, but the zoning rules would allow a total of only 30 units for the entire building, according to the appellate decision.

Price, who represented himself on this case, said he's won 10 out of 13 cases brought before the appellate court to limit the size of proposed developments in Union City. As for the other three, they haven't been lost - those are still pending.

Judges Edwin H. Stern, Edith K. Payne and Alexander P. Waugh Jr. wrote in their opinion regarding the Manhattan Avenue project that the Board of Adjustment had not adequately justified their decision to allow such a large increase in the number of units.

"If the Board believes that a trebling of the density is appropriate, it must clearly articulate its reasons," the judges wrote, adding, "A zoning board is not permitted to correct deficiencies in the zoning plan by issuing variance."

The attorney who represented Strategic Capital Partners declined to comment.

"We were satisfied, and the trial judge was satisfied but the arguments did not satisfy the three justices on this panel," said Leon B. Piechta, the attorney who represented the Board of Adjustment. "If they want more articulation from the professionals then that is fine."

The appellate court said the developers could wait until Union City revises it zoning laws to build - which city officials said is in the pipeline.

spcman
December 26th, 2008, 09:16 AM
The developer had the right to build as high as 22 stories, but the zoning rules would allow a total of only 30 units for the entire building, according to the appellate decision.

This just goes to show you how "out of date" this Master Plan is.

Why would any developer build 22 stories "as of right" with only 30 units ? That's about 5,000 square feet a piece ! It's no wonder the other two 22 story projects, on that street, which were approved for 28 & 32 units respectively were not and will not be built !

This is a great project! 18 stories (less than as of right) and smaller units that will sell or rent, makes a lot more sense.

Price's day's of suing the zoning board are coming to a quick end when this Master Plan is passed and the city will finally see some developers building in the city, which will give it more tax dollars, better police and fire rescources and better schooling, roads, etc. all around.

Larry Price is doing no one, but himself, a favor by suing everyone who applies to build in Union City. He does it for no reason, except his own dislike for the Mayor, thus crippling the "potential revenue" stream from new development. Look at Hoboken, Jersey City, Weehawken, Edgewater, even West New York...they ALL have lower taxes, better roads, fire & police "funds", etc. and Union City, (the most densly populated city in the USA) has ONE person suing the city...ONE person. He is a disgrace.

If he wants to sue over rightfully "wrong variances" then OK, but the fact that this one man has sued almost 65 projects for no reason except for his own pleasure is down right [I]disgusting. He has put many developers, [who just like all of us are hard working people in financial diress], is once again disgusting. All this, while he sits in his rent controlled building and contributes nothing to the city in which he lives ?

kepulauan
March 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Obviously this is not on the drawing boards right now, but would it be possible to have an underground station stop in Union City where the existing tunnel or the new tunnel go under the city? Say at 23rd and Bergenline, or 12th and Bergenline.

West Hudson
March 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM
kepulauan: I thought I was the only person wondering about that! It would make perfect sense to have a station somewhere there - that would give Union City residents direct access to Manhattan. But, I'm not sure if it's under consideration by NJ Transit.

When the ARC project began to come into the public spotlight in 2006, I do vaguely remember reading somewhere that there would be a new station in either North Bergen or Union City. But although I have done search upon search since then, I have not been able to find anything mentioning a new Union City station. It is possible that it was under consideration but the city turned it down due to concerns about changes in traffic patterns or something along those lines. If I see/hear anything about such a station, I will post it on here.

West Hudson
March 28th, 2011, 09:58 PM
There is a building of 57,100 sf for which bidding for construction of the steel skeleton will be closing on April 14th. The project is listed as "The Edge", and it's supposed to be constructed somewhere in Hudson County. The size of the building (Libeskind's tower is supposed to have 66 units) and name both mesh with the Libeskind tower...

JCMAN320
October 23rd, 2014, 05:52 PM
West New York zoning board to discuss controversial 13-story high-rise

By Kathryn Brenzel | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on October 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM, updated October 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM

WEST NEW YORK — The town zoning board on Thursday night will discuss a proposed 13-story high rise, a project that has been met with vehement opposition from some activists over the last few years.

The project, dubbed Meridia Le Boulevard, is a proposed 13-story multi-family complex at 6609-15 Kennedy Boulevard East and 9-67th St. (*) Thursday's meeting on the project continues two previous hearings held in September.

The building, proposed by Capadagli Property Company, would consist of 157 units and would add 160 off-street parking spaces, according to zoning board documents. Those who oppose the project argue that the town is already too congested and that a high-rise would only exacerbate parking and crowded mass transit issues.

Joshua Breakstone, a spokesman for Concerned Citizens for the Preservation of Quality of Life Along the Palisades, said Capadagli's proposal violates several town zoning codes. He said it also threatens to block its neighbors' view of the Hudson River.

“This will put local homes in shadow forever,” he said. “It will block the view for many.”

Representatives for Capadagli didn't return calls for comment.

Concerned Citizens has been one of the most outspoken groups against the proposed high-rise. Two years ago, the group fought a similar plan by Capadagi, which called for a 13-story, 123-unit high-rise on the property.

The zoning board meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. at 428 60th Street in West New York.

Kathryn Brenzel may be reached at kbrenzel@njadvancemedia.com. Follow her on Twitter @katiebrenzel. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2014/10/west_new_york_zoning_board_to_discuss_controversia l_13-story_high_rise.html#incart_river

======

(*) This is rediculous; the site is a former Exxon Station and is directly across the street from a 21 story apartment building called The Versailles. Just typical NIMBYism.

stache
October 23rd, 2014, 08:25 PM
Thirteen floors does not make a hi rise.