PDA

View Full Version : Automatic logging off

Meerkat
January 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM
A few times i've been automatically logged off wired new york while i've been writing a reply to a post, as happened earlier this evening (i lost the post i was writing). Its happened a few times and i always seem to loose whatever i've been writing. Is this a problem with the computer i'm using, or are members logged off after a period of time?

brianac
January 21st, 2008, 02:40 AM
It's happened to me too. Particularly when you want to do a search, you find yourself logged off.
I thought it was my computer too.

ablarc
January 21st, 2008, 08:09 AM
A few times i've been automatically logged off wired new york while i've been writing a reply to a post, as happened earlier this evening (i lost the post i was writing). Its happened a few times and i always seem to loose whatever i've been writing. Is this a problem with the computer i'm using, or are members logged off after a period of time?
Write your posts in a word program, then paste them into the forum, until you get to the bottom of this. This happened to me for a while, then mysteriously ceased.

Ninjahedge
January 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Do you have your name/PW cookied as an automatic login?

I have not had the problem, but my machines are setup to have me login once I access the main page.....

brianac
January 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Re. Password.

No I log on manually every time.

The problem happened to me again today.

I was logged on, had posted some entries and had read all new postings and was in the main community page still showing me as logged on.

I went to re check something and clicked on to that section, the section opened but showed me as not logged on. I hit the back button which took me back to the main community page which showed me as logged on.

I tried this again with a different section and the same happened again.

I logged off and closed WNY site. I re opened the site and logged on, tried the same process again and this time it stayed logged on.

I am puzzled.

stache
January 24th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Try sending a PM to Edward about it.

Meerkat
January 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Problem is i generally on use the internet when i'm at work (usually night shifts), so can't automatically log in, or use a word program and then paste whatever i've written. Its more annoying than a real problem, but at least i know its happened to other members. I must sort out internet access at home.

Edward
January 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Being logged in depends on the cookie written to your computer by forum software. Some browsers are setup to clear cookies once you close the browser. Also anti-spyware software checks and clears some cookies it finds objectionable - so if you are logged in to the forum and your anti-spyware software running in the background cleans the cookie, you will find yourself logged out.

lofter1
January 26th, 2008, 11:39 AM
damned cookie monster :mad:

BrooklynRider
January 27th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I've had the same problem. I use the write in Word / paste in WNY method for long posts.