PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever visit Dubai?

voodoochild
February 7th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I am extremely interested in Dubai. A classmate of mine did a report on it in college and I looked it up on the internet. They have Dubailand(disney), an indoor ski resort, man made islands etc. Very interesting. Would love to hear any personal experiences.:)

lammius
February 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
I went in 2006. The place is a disgusting display of opulence and waste. The world's tallest building, cool. Palm islands, cool. Burj al Arab 7-star hotel, cool. Indoor skiing, cool (though NJ will have that soon enough).

The whole place is under construction. The vast majority of the population is lower-class immigrant laborers from the Indian subcontinent who are treated pitifully (witheld wages, etc. and highest suicide rate on the planet). Everyone drives down the ONE ROAD leading into and out of "downtown" and traffic is horrendous. Tenements are far flung and in bad shape. No sidewalks, just "sandwalks." And although "locals" (Arab muslims) are a minority, they CONTROL the place. Don't eat a hoagie during Ramadan! Don't try being gay.

Go see the sights, but don't think it's some paradise oasis in the Arab desert.

lofter1
February 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Don't try being gay.

And if one isn't trying but just is :confused:

lammius
February 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
That was sarcastic. There is a prevailing opinion in some parts of the world that people aren't gay, they just act gay, and those acts are criminal. Being gay myself I disagree. A friend of a friend is gay and living in Dubai and hasn't had any trouble, and as long as you don't frequent bars that are known to be popular with gays, or otherwise make yourself "known" you'll be OK there (OK meaning not arrested). The state certainly has an intolerance for anything seen to be "too gay."

All of these things said, however, I will go back to visit again, but mostly just to see friends who live there.

voodoochild
February 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
That was sarcastic. There is a prevailing opinion in some parts of the world that people aren't gay, they just act gay, and those acts are criminal. Being gay myself I disagree. A friend of a friend is gay and living in Dubai and hasn't had any trouble, and as long as you don't frequent bars that are known to be popular with gays, or otherwise make yourself "known" you'll be OK there (OK meaning not arrested). The state certainly has an intolerance for anything seen to be "too gay."

All of these things said, however, I will go back to visit again, but mostly just to see friends who live there.
So I guess Richard Simmons can NEVER..EVER..go to Dubai.:p

lofter1
February 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I bet if you're really, really rich -- and really, really gay -- the sheiks-in-charge will cut you a break.