PDA

View Full Version : J1 jobs

_traveler
February 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Hey,
I am a student from Europe and I'll be coming to the USA this summer to work on a J-1 visa.This visa, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, allows me to work legally for up to 4 months.

I'm looking for a job in the New York area from around May 1st to September 1st, 2008. My dates are flexible - comming to USA anytime from May 1st to June 1st.

I've been looking on craigslist for jobs, but so far can't find anything. Every ad is either looking for experience, full time or long term. I'm student of Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, concentration on Industrial electronics. I have few exams more left and I'm finish. But I'm looking for typical summer job. I'd like to work in moving company (good hourly wages I think) or something similar .
New York is expensive place but I hope I'll be able to cover my expenses and spare some money for traveling across USA.

Please, if you know of any leads, any websites, any forums, anything! I'd be unbelievably grateful.
Spending a summer in New York has been a dream for years, so I really want to make this work (not to mention the fact that I'm investing about $2500 on the visa/flights...).

Any advice you can give will be appreciated !
Thanks

BrooklynRider
February 29th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I'm not familiar with companies in that field. However, in the field that I work in, interns apply for positions via our website.

You might want to research companies and contact them directly with a strong cover letter and a resume or listing of your educational pursuits and accomplishments thus far.

Good luck.