PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Connecting to WNY

The Benniest
March 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hello,

For the last 2 days, every time I try to load the WiredNY forum, I get a connection time out. I've cleared my internet's cache, I've cleared cookies, I've rebooted .. and still nothing.

I'm at the university library at the moment, so I'm not home, but when I left my house it still was not working.

Can someone help me? Thanks in advance..
Ben

Alonzo-ny
March 1st, 2008, 06:51 PM
I think this is similar to what was happening to me also, but i recieved not much in the way of help.

stache
March 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Try sending a PM to Edward about it. I think it's the server, it happens to me sometimes as well. :(

BrooklynRider
March 2nd, 2008, 01:40 AM
I think you guys are experiencing the problem I had a few years ago.

See this link:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12200

PM Edward and hopefully this can be resolved. He was the only one could fix the situation for me.

The Benniest
March 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. Again, I'm currently at the local universities library doing both research for a project and posting on the forum. I'm a pro procrastinator. :D It's hard not being able to access both the forum AND site because both are extremely addicting.

I'll look through the thread that BrooklynRider posted and will print a copy of every post to take home and try out.

Thanks,
Ben

The Benniest
March 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Ok, after reading through the link that BR posted, I have come to this conclusion on what I should do. Does this sound right and is this in the right order? ;)

First off, I am having the exact (100% same) problem that BR was having when he posted that thread.

The proxy site that Edward linked to in the second post no longer works (for me) and I get one of those annoying advertisement sites when I click on it.

When I get home, I will sit down and like Edward said, I will close all anti-virus/spam software on my computer and then attempt to reload WiredNY.

When Edward says in the 15th post that the server's firewall was blocking BR's IP address, what does this mean? Could this possibly be the problem with me as well?

I private messaged Edward yesterday and still have not heard back. I don't know how I will be able to get him my IP address, since I cannot access the website from my home PC. I guess I will figure something out...

Thanks again,
Ben

ZippyTheChimp
March 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
There's lots of free anonymous proxy sites to choose from/

Try this: http://www.p-r-o-x-y.com/proxy-of-the-week.html

Type the WNY url in the box, and see if you connect.

If you can connect with the proxy, it means that your IP address is being blocked by the WNY server (just like BR). For some reason, BR's IP address was on the block list.

When Edward says in the 15th post that the server's firewall was blocking BR's IP address, what does this mean?The server can be programmed to deny access to a particular computer IP address. This is sometimes done to spammers who continually re-register with a different User Name and email.

When you use a proxy server, your IP address only connects to the proxy, and the proxy IP address contacts WNY.

The Benniest
March 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hi Zippy.
Thanks for replying. From where I'm sitting here at uni, the proxy site worked and connected to WNY. Now for home, I'm not sure. I'll be home later tonight and give it a try.

What do I do if the proxy site does not work at home? Private message Edward with my IP address?

Alonzo-ny
March 2nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
First time i heard an American say uni!

The Benniest
March 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
HaHa Alonzo! I say 'uni' all the time, even out loud. I know some brits that live in the town I do and I've walked by them saying uni, and they just kind of stare at me. :P Ok...I got WNY to work, but with a proxy site (http://www.oxybypass.info/). It's extremely plain and won't let me add smilies, do auto-formatting or anything, but at least I'm here! :) So what happens now? I do not want to continue to use this proxy. Thanks, Ben

BrooklynRider
March 2nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
You need to send your IP address to Edward.

The Benniest
March 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Alrighty. I sent him a PM with my IP address. *sits and waits*

stache
March 3rd, 2008, 12:30 AM
You have to realize sometimes Edward goes out of town etc. It may be a while before he can get back to you.

The Benniest
March 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Ok stache.

Thanks. :)

Edward
March 3rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
For unknown reason, server's apf (advanced policy firewall) placed 12 IPs on deny list on 2/28/08, including The Benniest and londonlawyer. I cleared the list and that should resolve the issue.

OmegaNYC
March 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Was I the only one who had a problem of logging on for the past 45 mins.?

stache
March 3rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
With me it's an every once in a while thing, but not in the last few days.

The Benniest
March 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Woo!! Wired New York is working on my home computer ... finally! :)

Much thanks to Edward for solving the problem and the others who helped!
Ben

Alonzo-ny
March 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Was I the only one who had a problem of logging on for the past 45 mins.?

I experienced it earlier too

The Benniest
March 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
That was interesting.... for a while, I had a hard time accessing the site. Might be due to what was going before for Alonzo, OmegaNYC, and stache. I use Firefox, and have WNY bookmarked in my bookmark toolbar, so I don't have to sign in every time.

All better now. Hmm... :)
Ben

Alonzo-ny
March 3rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I just lost access again to the site, I tried using the proxy and that couldnt connect either. Nor from firefox. This seems to be happening more regularly now and I recieved no reply in my thread about this.

The Benniest
March 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
That's the same thing that happened to me minutes ago. Now I am getting a "Database Error" sometimes when I click on user profiles/threads/forums. The next time it happens, I will print my screen and post it in here. When I lost WNY about 15-20 minutes ago, I as well could not access the site through a proxy.

I agree with alonzo that this seems to happening quite frequently. :(

Alonzo-ny
March 3rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
I just had the database error message also. Ive had this happen in the past but it has happened more regularly over the last two months or so.

stache
March 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
and I come here via a 'favorites' bookmark, to the main forum page.

The Benniest
March 3rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
and I come here via a 'favorites' bookmark, to the main forum page.
Have you ever had the problems that alonzo and Omega are having with the log in difficulties?

Alonzo-ny
March 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Im not sure if it was your phrasing Ben but i dont have log in problems, the problem i have is the site cant be found when i try to come to the site. (i have a favourite system like stache where i come to the forum page)

The Benniest
March 3rd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Oh! Yes, I misunderstood what you said about not being able to access the site. :)

stache
March 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
Logging in has not been the issue for me. Too funny, I got the 'page can not be displayed' message just now lol.

The Benniest
March 4th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Wow ... add another person to the list. :confused:

Edward
March 4th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I know about the issue and I am looking into this.

The Benniest
March 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Thank you Edward .. as always. :)