PDA

View Full Version : Off street Parking requirements in a R5 zone

maggieshouse
March 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I am designing a multifamily house in a R5 zone in Queens. I am trying to figure out how many off street parking spaces I need if I build 2 four family houses on a 50X100 lot.

In reviewing the zoning code, I need to provide .85 spaces per dwelling unit. However, this is only if the spaces are 'grouped'. If I provide parking at the back and front of this lot, will it be considered grouped or is grouped parking not allowed in the R5 zone? The code is ambiguous and I am inexperienced working in NYC.

I would really appreciate any help!

antinimby
March 13th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Not sure about your parking question but I just like to say...

...try not to make it another bunch of ugly, Fedders-type, brick boxes with those god awful metal balconies. There are already many of them in the city. ;)

As for your question, I would think grouped is allowed or else they would specifically say you can't and so you would have 6 or 7 spaces.

maggieshouse
March 13th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I agree about those ugly boxes...You certainly see alot of that in Queens. I do alot of residential work in the New Jersey suburbs and this is my first project in NYC. So hopefully I won't have that cookie cutting mentality!:p
I appreciate your input!

JCMAN320
March 13th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Yea we enough of those new boxes here in JC and I wouldn't mind to see them stoped. lol Yea just be creativer and try and fit every building into its surroundings to make it look like it belongs.

BrooklynRider
March 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM
The city has a very good Zoning book for about 25 dollars that is illustrated and explains the nuances of different zoning requirements in laymen's terms. It might be very helpful to you.

You might also want to PM forum member ASchwarz. I believe he works for the city building department or is, at least, well acquainted with zoning laws. Good luck!