PDA

View Full Version : Old Flushing

FlushingPhil
April 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Hi, I just found the forum and joined, looks like there is much to see on here!

I grew up in Flushing in the 50's and left in '64. Things sure have changed over the years..anyone else remember things from way back then?

Waiting for the Q-15 or Q16 bus in front of B. Gertz Dept. store?
The Nedicks at Main St. & Northern Blvd & the RKO Keiths?
Hangin' around Bowne Park wid da boyz?

Korea Boy
April 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
how about the cab stand on the southwest corner of Roosevelt ave. and Main street?
i always waited for the big Imperial cab.
the main tavern was on the northwest corner. big, cheap sandwiches from the steam table there. 10 cent beer too.

Bowne Park? who remembers the "miniature crime wave" ?

FlushingPhil
April 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Hey, I remember the Imperial cab, wasn't it black & red?

Yeah, you could chow down at the Main Tavern, walk up to the record store and boost a couple of 45's!

Didn't they used to call it the "MCW"??? :confused:

You must have come her as a child Korea Boy, you sure remember a lot.

Korea Boy
April 11th, 2008, 08:16 AM
got here in 1942. still here watching the area change.
all of those places we remember are gone.
replaced by big buildings and apartments.:(
even the Bown Park bar and grill. it's a dentist office i think.
who remembers Stanley J. Gatz? the owner of the BP b&g:)

FlushingPhil
April 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Wow, you must be pretty old then. Were you in one of those Holding Camps during WWII ?

Didn't SJG invent the famous "Stanley Shake" for OJ?

Korea Boy
April 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
but never in any holding camp.
that was another group of yellow skinned people.

your right about the OJ shake. one slow flip and it was shook up.
maybe we drank there together one day. who knows??

FlushingPhil
April 11th, 2008, 08:33 AM
...I remember this Mailman who it seemed was always there drinkin', man what a racket he had.

Hey, I live in Jersey now and you can't get any good Korean food by me. I sure miss the Bulgogi, Kimchi, and Bibimbab.

Ninjahedge
April 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Jersey is getting better with the Korean.

Start looking around. Fort Lee is a natural place to start, but other areas are getting groups of Koreans moving out now. (Look at teh Korean Baptist Churches being opened/started).

Most are still close to NYC, but there is a lot more diversity around that I remember as a kid (20+ years ago?)........

Korea Boy
April 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM
...I remember this Mailman who it seemed was always there drinkin', man what a racket he had.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hey, I live in Jersey now and you can't get any good Korean food by me. I sure miss the Bulgogi, Kimchi, and Bibimbab.

plenty of good Korean food around here now. even more Chinese.

i remember 2 mailmen from back then. Al and Hank i think their names were.
there every day, rain, snow, heat. not like that anymore.

FlushingPhil
April 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Jersey is getting better with the Korean.

Start looking around. Fort Lee is a natural place to start, but other areas are getting groups of Koreans moving out now. (Look at teh Korean Baptist Churches being opened/started).

Most are still close to NYC, but there is a lot more diversity around that I remember as a kid (20+ years ago?)........

You mean Fort Ree, no? :rolleyes:

Hoboken is cool, I used to deliver a lot to Maxwell House Coffee, when they were there in the 80's.

Ninjahedge
April 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM
There is not much Korean in Hoboken though. A really good Thai place on 3rd and Bloomfield though (Sri Thai). Was better when it was a hole-in-the-wall, but it is still one of my favorites.

Most of the ones on Washington are either bad (Bangkok(sp) City), Guilo (Rice Shop) or expensive for what you get (Casual Thai).

They are a HELL of a lot better than the "King Wok" and the like that I was used to growing up (definite suburban "chinese"), but still not as good as 32nd street, Chinatown and some other spots in Manhattan.